Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Do have anything to suggest the opposite?
Yes I do. Evidence for the existence of the man can't be shown. Evidence of existence is primary. What he may or may not have done is secondary. If one can't provide verifiable evidence of a miracle man then discussing what miracle he allegedly performed is, well....pointless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM

1,666 posts, read 4,369,025 times
I found this pretty amusing:

http://suggs.smugmug.com/photos/i-j4ktw6W/0/L/i-j4ktw6W-L.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes I do. Evidence for the existence of the man can't be shown. Evidence of existence is primary. What he may or may not have done is secondary. If one can't provide verifiable evidence of a miracle man then discussing what miracle he allegedly performed is, well....pointless!

Yes, it would be pointless, but I thought his actual, physical existance is pretty much accepted by most scholars. His diety might very well be in question, though.

May I ask a tangetal question? When you see stuff like what I posted it, with what attitude do you approach it? Do you say to yourself, "Let me see if what I believe is wrong," or is it more like "Let me see if this is BS."

I'll freely admit that I usually adopt the second choice and, I suppose, so do most people who have already made up their mind on a subject. If one is still on their intitial quest for truth, they might examine it for whatever information it might contain, but for those of us who have already reached a conclusion, and are comfortable with it, evidence enough to completely overturn our convictions would have to be pretty good, wouldn't it?

In any case, we've gone pretty far off topic for this thread. The OP posited a question about why Jesus is still believed in after 2000 years and I offered a possible explanation, wrapped around His miracles.

We'd better leave this for another time or another thread before we provoke the ire of the CD Gods.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That pic is too awesome stillkit. The "holy spirit" of CD won't let me rep ya, though.

Wouldn't you hate to be the guy driving that van when that picture hit the internet?

Of course, there's probably a reasonable explanation. Just because he was parked there doesn't mean he was doing business there.

But, it's still funny. I have one in my own, personal collection which I wish I could post which is similar.

During our feeding mission to Atmore, AL after Hurricane Dennis, the local Budweiser distributor donated a trailer load of Budweiser canned drinking water. They brought it in a Budweiser trailer and dropped it right on the parking lot of the 1st Baptist Church, where we had our mobile kitchen set up.

LOT'S of people stopped to take THAT picture!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, it would be pointless, but I thought his actual, physical existance is pretty much accepted by most scholars.
No. What is accepted by most scholars is the possibility that some itinerant rebel rabbi might have existed.

Quote:
His diety might very well be in question, though.
His deity is certainly disputed.

Quote:
May I ask a tangetal question? When you see stuff like what I posted it, with what attitude do you approach it? Do you say to yourself, "Let me see if what I believe is wrong," or is it more like "Let me see if this is BS."
When I see the stuff you and others post I KNOW it's BS because I have studied the subject for something like 40 years. I've heard all the stories and seen all the 'evidence' that Christianity has come up with to justify the existence of their hero. None of it stands up to scrutiny.

I would be only to happy to admit that I'm wrong...if you or others could come up with some compelling, verifiable and objective facts but so far...nothing. In 40 years...nothing! See fella...I'd love it all to be true, really I would. Who wouldn't want to live forever in paradise? But I can't believe it's all true when there is no evidence to support it. I can't believe it's true when the objective, verifiable evidence that we do have says it isn't true. I just don't have the mindset to convince myself that something is true just because I want it to be true.

Quote:
I'll freely admit that I usually adopt the second choice and, I suppose, so do most people who have already made up their mind on a subject. If one is still on their intitial quest for truth, they might examine it for whatever information it might contain, but for those of us who have already reached a conclusion, and are comfortable with it, evidence enough to completely overturn our convictions would have to be pretty good, wouldn't it?
The evidence that has made up my mind IS pretty good.

Quote:
In any case, we've gone pretty far off topic for this thread. The OP posited a question about why Jesus is still believed in after 2000 years and I offered a possible explanation, wrapped around His miracles.
So why do you think the gods of Hinduism are still believed in after more like 3000 years?

Quote:
We'd better leave this for another time or another thread before we provoke the ire of the CD Gods.
Frightening thought!!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times
Quote:
Yeah...I had already wondered that the thread was still living.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I would be only to happy to admit that I'm wrong...if you or others could come up with some compelling, verifiable and objective facts but so far...nothing. In 40 years...nothing! See fella...I'd love it all to be true, really I would. Who wouldn't want to live forever in paradise? But I can't believe it's all true when there is no evidence to support it. I can't believe it's true when the objective, verifiable evidence that we do have says it isn't true. I just don't have the mindset to convince myself that something is true just because I want it to be true.
I think this thread has pretty much run its course, but that comment right there intriques me. Maybe it's been done before, I don't know, but I think I'll go over to the Atheist and Agnostics boards and start a thread under this title: What evidence WOULD it take to convince you of Jesus?

Just to be fair, I'll start another one on the Christian boards entitled thusly: What evidence WOULD it take disprove Jesus?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Oops. I inadvertently started it in the Religion and Philosophy boards, instead of the Atheist and Agnostics boards.

Oh, well. It'll work there too.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
In a sense it is reminiscent of a ghost story:

Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Just to be fair, I'll start another one on the Christian boards entitled thusly: What evidence WOULD it take disprove Jesus?
I think we've had one before on the Christian forum. If I remember correctly, every Christian that answered said "NOTHING". No matter what the evidence, no matter what the facts, nothing would change their minds. Just shows the mindset I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality