Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the greatest threat to Christianity?
Islam 7 7.78%
Judaism 1 1.11%
Hinduism 0 0%
Atheism 12 13.33%
Other 70 77.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Or maybe they have experienced something you haven't.
Self-infliction delusion is something I have avoided through reason and the requirement for at least some evidence before I accept anything as fact, or even a possibility, thus you are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM

912 posts, read 827,077 times
[quote=Woodrow LI;19337029I kind of went in the opposite direction. although I was born into a very religious Catholic Family, I left Catholicism in my early 20s for other denominations, the more Educated I became the further I left Christianity. By the time I began my Post Graduate Studies the more I began to drift back into religious beliefs but non-denominational. By my forties I was essentially agnostic but was strongly seeking God(swt). When I was 65, Islam finally found me and I guess I finally had enough education to recognize Islam was true.

In about my mid 30s I was quite an outspoken "Hellfire & Brimstone" Evangelical preacher trying to convert Muslims throughout the Mideast. Looking back at those years, I must have looked pretty silly and thought I was doing God(swt)'s work.

The Hell fire scare seems to drive people away from religion more often then it leads.[/quote]

Blue says
I'm curious as to exactly what is attractive in the belief of Islam. What is it that the belief offers its membership. Is it solely based on existence after life and a blissful existence ?

How does Islam connect the dots with everyday life?

Why would it be entertained that a belief system for life on earth be manifested out of a directive which address's a war like ambiance.
From what Ive seen there are many quotes in the Quran which impart justification for violent measure if a decision.. decides that Islam is under siege.
Isn't Islam mixing human politics which promotes human error, together with Spirituality ?
I'm trying to figure out exactly what Islam has to offer and how it benefits
humanity.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
Blue says
I'm curious as to exactly what is attractive in the belief of Islam. What is it that the belief offers its membership. Is it solely based on existence after life and a blissful existence ?

How does Islam connect the dots with everyday life?

Why would it be entertained that a belief system for life on earth be manifested out of a directive which address's a war like ambiance.
From what Ive seen there are many quotes in the Quran which impart justification for violent measure if a decision.. decides that Islam is under siege.
Isn't Islam mixing human politics which promotes human error, together with Spirituality ?
I'm trying to figure out exactly what Islam has to offer and how it benefits
humanity.
Some things Islam offers

1. absolute responsibility of the individual
2, no ordained clergy
3. no intermediary, prayers to Allaah(swt) alone
4. Obligation to verify the truth in all things you believe.
5. Forbidding of all violence except in defense
6. Strict code of ethics in times of war, ie no harming of children, women, non-combatants, disabled, elderly or any religions clergy.
7. Encouragement to give to charity of all people
8. Forbidding blind following of any living person.

Sadly, there are a small percentage who use the name Muslim, but fail to follow Islam. they also seem to be what most non-Muslims believe to be Islam.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is the truth?
Open a 5th grade science book.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I would agree. Christianity is digging it's own grave. Fundamentalims doesn't work because it isn't adaptable to new times/circumstances; and as Evolutionary Theory shows us, those who fail to adapt when they find themselves in new circumstances become extinct.
wouldn't let me rep ya, but...I really like darwinism used on christianity, it fits!!! Thanks, nice post!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 PM

593 posts, read 890,323 times
Maybe the greatest threat to christianity is govenrment,judges,a portion of non-biblically oriented and nurtured secular society,teachers,many (not all) homosexuals,TV/Movie producers,explicit music lyrics/song,the extreme left,invasion of christian societies by invading pagan faiths ,natural disasters/epidemics and religion.

Das

Last edited by DASULAR17; 05-27-2011 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: formating

Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 PM

912 posts, read 827,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Some things Islam offers

1. absolute responsibility of the individual
2, no ordained clergy
3. no intermediary, prayers to Allaah(swt) alone
4. Obligation to verify the truth in all things you believe.
5. Forbidding of all violence except in defense
6. Strict code of ethics in times of war, ie no harming of children, women, non-combatants, disabled, elderly or any religions clergy.
7. Encouragement to give to charity of all people
8. Forbidding blind following of any living person.

Sadly, there are a small percentage who use the name Muslim, but fail to follow Islam. they also seem to be what most non-Muslims believe to be Islam.

Ok, Ive learned something and thankyou for the answer. I didn't know that solitary prayer is forbidden.

So...The good Muslim is a disciplined individual who goes about in a charitable way . Strict code of ethics in war times #6 above of the good Muslim are very honorable . Torture was not mentioned...did you possibly miss that? It wouldn't seem to fit in.

The idea of non-solitary prayer is interesting. A purpose may be to create necessity in social and family togetherness, is that the chief objective ?

Also the plan seems to neglect inspiration from Allah as private prayer is dis-allowed. I'm curious what measure of interior reflection is administered when emotion interferes with decision ?

Could this element or.... do you see a connection here with the popular violent news stories mankind continues to learn about ? A lack of discipline in hasty emotional moments. Lacking in the rule of responcibility, caused by a prohibited recourse to Allah for courage and inspiration to govern with charitible overtones?

There doesn't seem to be a deterrant for a bad wealthy Muslim unless I'm missing something, he can percieve what he likes and twist things around and no-body will say anything. There would be difficulty for all.

Basically a good Muslim with above guildlines would be basically a decent person without a personal interior life with God. Except group praying.Unless I'm missing something.

Thanks again, and its important to me because the Muslims are opening up some shops and I like to know my surroundings and whats going on. Appreciated.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-28-2011 at 01:18 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
Open a 5th grade science book.
Science doesn't negate ID.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Self-infliction delusion is something I have avoided through reason and the requirement for at least some evidence before I accept anything as fact, or even a possibility,
As have I.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
Ok, Ive learned something and thankyou for the answer. I didn't know that solitary prayer is forbidden.

So...The good Muslim is a disciplined individual who goes about in a charitable way . Strict code of ethics in war times #6 above of the good Muslim are very honorable . Torture was not mentioned...did you possibly miss that? It wouldn't seem to fit in.

The idea of non-solitary prayer is interesting. A purpose may be to create necessity in social and family togetherness, is that the chief objective ?

Also the plan seems to neglect inspiration from Allah as private prayer is dis-allowed. I'm curious what measure of interior reflection is administered when emotion interferes with decision ?

Could this element or.... do you see a connection here with the popular violent news stories mankind continues to learn about ? A lack of discipline in hasty emotional moments. Lacking in the rule of responcibility, caused by a prohibited recourse to Allah for courage and inspiration to govern with charitible overtones?

There doesn't seem to be a deterrant for a bad wealthy Muslim unless I'm missing something, he can percieve what he likes and twist things around and no-body will say anything. There would be difficulty for all.

Basically a good Muslim with above guildlines would be basically a decent person without a personal interior life with God. Except group praying.Unless I'm missing something.

Thanks again, and its important to me because the Muslims are opening up some shops and I like to know my surroundings and whats going on. Appreciated.
Quote:

Some how my wording got twisted. I meant we pray to Allaah(swt) only and no one else. Solitary prayer (Dua) is encourged as we are to pray at all times. Solitary prayer is a very big part of our life.

Salat our required prayer is more of what you would see as a church service or mass and can be at a mosque or where ever a person is. It consists of what you would view as several prayers Actually we are never alone as all Muslims are saying them at the same time. What you would equate as prayers are what we call Du'as. These are said at any time any place. Our daily life consists of almost constant prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality