Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Come on over. We're your friends.
Ummmm....no thanks. I'll pass on that if you don't mind!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:10 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The second clip is scary..Moderator cut: edit kind of debate is that? Three Christians two bashing atheists and one defending?
I actually agree with you. That second clip... I could only want the first minute of it.

When she said freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

This sort of persecution is wrong. It doesn't matter who is bashing or discriminating against who, it is wrong. I don't care if the majority of the nation is Christian, it does not give them the right to persecute someone for their beliefs.

However, I do not agree with the OP about going and protesting churches. Stooping to someone's level that is preaching hate, will only create more hate. I don't believe in public bashing or bashing at all really. When we say mean and hateful things about another person we are ourselves casting that same mean and hateful thing on ourselves.

I feel for those people in the video.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 PM

138 posts, read 254,479 times
Quote:
When she said freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
Agreed. I lurched a bit when she said that.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Tell me again how religion is not a cancer in society

The fear instilled in those so duped as to follow the fantasy manifests itself as hate, and shows the utter hypocrisy of these mindless sheep, told whom to hate, and blindly following along like the mindless fools they are.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Of course freedom of religion includes opting out of all of them if one so chooses.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The second clip is scary..Moderator cut: edit kind of debate is that? Three Christians two bashing atheists and one defending?
Clearly you haven't watched MSNBC or Fox News lately because that's pretty standard operating procedure. Have a highly biased panel to discuss the issue. If you're very lucky, you might have somebody there from the opposite viewpoint. I don't know how they get people to show up for that role. They'll just drown him or her out, talk over them, interrupt, call them idiots, belittle them in every way possible, etc. Would have looked uglier if they'd have invited an atheist I'm betting cuz they'd have ganged up on the atheist for the entire discussion.

These video clips kinda have a familiar ring to them. Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons have often been told that "you brought this upon yourselves" when they have been victims of violence and illegal violation of their rights in the USA.

One really ridiculous example was the lynching of Leo Frank. So if you're accused of a crime -- rape in this case -- and you happen to be a Jew, apparently you just accept the fact that you're guilty no matter what. When the governor intervened and commuted the sentence (because the conviction was a load of BS), a mob kidnapped him from the prison in Atlanta and lynched him.

The USA, the nation that swells with pride that we are the land where you are free to practice whatever religion you want, including no religion at all. There's been plenty of bad stuff, but I was kinda surprised that the blatantly illegal persecution of the Mormons is pretty unique in US history as a white on white religious crusade. The really alarming thing about it was that it wasn't just ignored by government authorities -- it was the state and federal governments that actually ordered it and state and federal troops were sent to enforce it. But nothing quite ranks with the genocidal assault on the Native Americans.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this sort of discrimination, but Atheists certainly aren't unique. Many groups have been on the receiving end of the American mob and their version of religious liberty. I'm not really sure how seriously government authorities take the first amendment. Sure it applies to traditional Christian denominations, but outside of that you're probably just plain screwed.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
So much for "do unto others". Another reason to reject Christianity: Christian behavior.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:56 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Oh crap, looks like I better start wearing my fake "I love Jesus" t-shirt again. Don't want to be stoned at the old KMart superstore this Sunday.
I don't get the idea that we are a Christian country? Is this because the majority of people in America are of Christian faith? I mean, couldn't that change in a "so called" free country or do they mean Americans will keep this a Christian country regardless of others beliefs, like by force? Or by branding the pledge, money and statues with Christian values. That's a little scary.

I don't think the Jewish lady knew that she was agreeing with the wolf across from her. What's the Jewish women's kids going to do whilst the Christian kids are praying to Jesus? After the Christians take down the Atheists who exactly does she think will be next? They aren't going to let it go with just a couple of Atheists. No way!

Maybe it's time to look into a different country. After watching the Christian run states eliminate abortion rights in over half of the country this year I can see things are going back in time instead of forward. It is a scary thought for anybody of right mind, not just Atheists.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Clearly you haven't watched MSNBC or Fox News lately because that's pretty standard operating procedure. Have a highly biased panel to discuss the issue. If you're very lucky, you might have somebody there from the opposite viewpoint. I don't know how they get people to show up for that role. They'll just drown him or her out, talk over them, interrupt, call them idiots, belittle them in every way possible, etc. Would have looked uglier if they'd have invited an atheist I'm betting cuz they'd have ganged up on the atheist for the entire discussion.

These video clips kinda have a familiar ring to them. Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons have often been told that "you brought this upon yourselves" when they have been victims of violence and illegal violation of their rights in the USA.

One really ridiculous example was the lynching of Leo Frank. So if you're accused of a crime -- rape in this case -- and you happen to be a Jew, apparently you just accept the fact that you're guilty no matter what. When the governor intervened and commuted the sentence (because the conviction was a load of BS), a mob kidnapped him from the prison in Atlanta and lynched him.

The USA, the nation that swells with pride that we are the land where you are free to practice whatever religion you want, including no religion at all. There's been plenty of bad stuff, but I was kinda surprised that the blatantly illegal persecution of the Mormons is pretty unique in US history as a white on white religious crusade. The really alarming thing about it was that it wasn't just ignored by government authorities -- it was the state and federal governments that actually ordered it and state and federal troops were sent to enforce it. But nothing quite ranks with the genocidal assault on the Native Americans.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this sort of discrimination, but Atheists certainly aren't unique. Many groups have been on the receiving end of the American mob and their version of religious liberty. I'm not really sure how seriously government authorities take the first amendment. Sure it applies to traditional Christian denominations, but outside of that you're probably just plain screwed.
I live in Canada and we are spared Fox and MSN news for the most part thankfully. In Canada our news media is not allowed to spread outright lies as it is in the US.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
It looked to me that the couple was not just expressing their beliefs, they had set out to change the culture of a town in Mississippi. If you do that you might expect some pushback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality