Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:55 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

Why do Christians celebrate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:06 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
sanspeur, for those who don't understand you may have to explain the sacrament........

Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
by means of ritualistic drinking of blood and eating of flesh......

Old 05-29-2011, 10:23 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Some denominations do take the bread and wine/juice literally to be the actual flesh and blood of Jesus.

Others take the bread and wine/juice as symbolic just as Jesus did at the last supper. He said "Do this in rememberance of me"..

There was a time, before I dropped out of organized religion, that I took it weekly in rememberance of His sacrifice..

Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
by means of ritualistic drinking of blood and eating of flesh......
Just ask old Mel Gibson what turns Christians on--his blood-splattered gore-fest "Passion of The Christ" pandered to their most primitive and cherished sacrificial fantasies, bringing them by the thousands into the cinemas, like moths to a flame. Needless to say, this already wealthy actor/director took many more millions to the bank, laughing all the way...

Last edited by motorman; 05-29-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Does any church or church group celebrate "human sacrifice?"

I don't think we could consider the Christ's death as a "human" sacrifice.

I may be wrong, but the Communion Service in most, if not all protestant churches is a celebration of the Last Supper.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 AM

76 posts, read 76,785 times
To which sacrament are you referring, I would assume the "blessed" sacrament in which partakes in the consumption of the "flesh and blood". In which case it is obviously not supposed to be taken literally, as it wasn't even during the last supper. If, sanspeur, you are referring to the sacrifice of Christ, it was not a sacrifice man made. Jesus sacrificed himself to save mankind.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Does any church or church group celebrate "human sacrifice?"

I may be wrong, but the Communion Service in most, if not all protestant churches is a celebration of the Last Supper.

Then why do so many Christians believe it actually happened and served a purpose?

If Christians do not believe it was a sacrifice, then that means they do not believe it was required. If they do not believe it was a human sacrifice that means Jesus(PBUH) was not human.

Makes far more sense and shows a truly loving God(swt) if he somehow intervened and stopped it from happening.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:07 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Then why do so many Christians believe it actually happened and served a purpose?

If Christians do not believe it was a sacrifice, then that means they do not believe it was required. If they do not believe it was a human sacrifice that means Jesus(PBUH) was not human.

Makes far more sense and shows a truly loving God(swt) if he somehow intervened and stopped it from happening.
I was wondering if a Christian would know what I meant, but you understand what I was talking about...The doctrine is that Christ was sacrificed on the cross to absolve his followers of sin...I believe that is the main tenant of Christian belief, is it not?

The beliefs of most denominations of Christianity hinge upon a single, specific human sacrifice: that of Christ. Christians believe that in order to gain access to paradise in the afterlife each individual person must somehow become a partaker in that all-important human sacrifice for the atonement of their personal sins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice

Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Let me get this straight in my mind.....I think The Christ was the Son of God, therefore, He was NOT HUMAN.

So, you think He really was human??

He was sacrificed for the humans, but he was not a HUMAN sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality