Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

We are all familiar with the story of Abraham prepared to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham did not bat an eye at this request of God, almost as if this practice was already commonplace and understood.

Then there is this curious verse in Exodus:
"Consecrate to me every first-born that opens the womb among Israelites, both man and beast, for it belongs to me." Exodus 13:2

We have these accounts of human sacrifice in the bible as well.

Judges 11:29-40

1 Kings 13:1-2

(Wisdom 3:5-7 NAB The Book of The Wisdom of Solomon is mostly in Catholic versions of the Bible.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Of course it does. Look at the thousands of people the god of the bible ordered slaughtered for no reason other than he wanted it that way.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Of course it does. Look at the thousands of people the god of the bible ordered slaughtered for no reason other than he wanted it that way.
Intellectually dishonest.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We are all familiar with the story of Abraham prepared to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham did not bat an eye at this request of God, almost as if this practice was already commonplace and understood.

Then there is this curious verse in Exodus:
"Consecrate to me every first-born that opens the womb among Israelites, both man and beast, for it belongs to me." Exodus 13:2

We have these accounts of human sacrifice in the bible as well.

Judges 11:29-40

1 Kings 13:1-2

(Wisdom 3:5-7 NAB The Book of The Wisdom of Solomon is mostly in Catholic versions of the Bible.)
God had specifically forbidden offering human sacrifices. (Leviticus 20:1-5). Jeremiah 7:31, 19:5, and 32:35 clearly indicate that the idea of human sacrifice has "never even entered God's mind."

Did Jephthah sacrifice his daughter to the Lord?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
God had specifically forbidden offering human sacrifices. (Leviticus 20:1-5). Jeremiah 7:31, 19:5, and 32:35 clearly indicate that the idea of human sacrifice has "never even entered God's mind."

Did Jephthah sacrifice his daughter to the Lord?

If G-d forbids sacrifice then how do you explain the blood sacrifice of Jesus? Seems like if something is forbidden it is forbidden...

Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
If G-d forbids sacrifice then how do you explain the blood sacrifice of Jesus? Seems like if something is forbidden it is forbidden...
Jesus voluntarily laid down His life for others. He could have walked away, unharmed.

John 15:13

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Jesus voluntarily laid down His life for others. He could have walked away, unharmed.

John 15:13

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

He may have but it still is a blood sacrifice. and the bible is clear sacrifice even if it is voluntary is not ok.

But I doubt it was a choice because according to Christianity this was what was supposed to happen.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
He may have but it still is a blood sacrifice. and the bible is clear sacrifice even if it is voluntary is not ok.
You are incorrect.

Leviticus 16:15

15 "He shall then slaughter the goat for the sin offering for the people and take its blood behind the curtain and do with it as he did with the bull's blood: He shall sprinkle it on the atonement cover and in front of it.

Quote:
But I doubt it was a choice because according to Christianity this was what was supposed to happen.
You are incorrect.

John 10

17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
You are incorrect.

Leviticus 16:15

15 "He shall then slaughter the goat for the sin offering for the people and take its blood behind the curtain and do with it as he did with the bull's blood: He shall sprinkle it on the atonement cover and in front of it.

You are incorrect.

John 10

17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again.

I should have been very clear, I am talking about human sacrifice.

Human sacrifice is not ok.

You said:

Either G-d forbids human sacrifice or he doesn't.

You can't have it both ways. It is forbidden but the sacrifice of Jesus was ok.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:08 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,541 times
The Idea of Jesus sacrificing his life?....If Jesus was knowingly able to put down his life at will, and pick it up again (eternal life) then really he has not sacrificed anything of his life...
And in that he proves God is eternal and his son is eternal...and we can become part of that family...if we stop sinning and start doing what God asked we do.

Jesus said..God loves the birds, and feeds them, that toil not, nor herd anything into barns,...how much more will God love those who do his will and fulfill his word?"

See?....That is what Jesus did do....and for that the love of God was kindled towards him...showing that his eternal love was born in Jesus...to show us none believers that the rewards for doing what God said to do...is the true path to life eternal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality