Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
God had specifically forbidden offering human sacrifices. (Leviticus 20:1-5). Jeremiah 7:31, 19:5, and 32:35 clearly indicate that the idea of human sacrifice has "never even entered God's mind."

Did Jephthah sacrifice his daughter to the Lord?
There were prohibitions against sacrifice, but only in the name of other gods. Child sacrifice was practiced throughout the world during ancient times. The ritualized murder of innocents carries right into Christianity.

One such example:

Quote:
JOSHUA
Joshua practiced what is called "foundation sacrifice." In order to protect a structure from evil powers, a person was killed and buried at the foundation of a city or building. Sometimes the victim was walled in alive. In this case, Joshua's victim would be someone's first born.
26Joshua laid an oath upon them at that time, saying, "Cursed before the LORD be the man that rises up and rebuilds this city, Jericho. At the cost of his first-born shall he lay its foundation, and at the cost of his youngest son shall he set up its gates."
27So the LORD was with Joshua; and his fame was in all the land. (Josh. 6:26-27)
More at:
Child Sacrifice in Ancient Israel: The Unspoken Bible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Only in the context of this abhorent practice does the horrific death of Jesus on the cross (as portrayed in the movie The Passion of the Christ) make even a modicum of sense. For Christians, the human race had to actually move into the realm of human sacrifice to finally appease their God. Senselessly killing animals was not sufficient. According to the Christian faith, Jesus is the human sacrifice that satisfied God.
Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:28 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
As I do with my children, forgive them and lovingly explain why it is wrong.
That's exactly what God has done.

2 Peter 3:9

9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
There were prohibitions against sacrifice, but only in the name of other gods. Child sacrifice was practiced throughout the world during ancient times. The ritualized murder of innocents carries right into Christianity.

One such example:

More at:
Child Sacrifice in Ancient Israel: The Unspoken Bible
Nice try. You obviously are not familiar with this passage. Did you copy & paste this little gem? Let me educate you.

In this passage, the Jews were at war for the city of Jericho. Long story short, the Lord gave them a miraculous victory, & the city crumbled. The passage you quote was a curse upon anyone who would undertake to rebuild the city. No children were sacrificed. The killing of innocents was strictly prohibited in Jewish Law.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Look again.

Mark 10:45

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

John 10:11

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

In addition:

John 1

29The next day John (the Baptist) saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"

From the Apostle Peter:

1 Peter 1

18For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.

You can quote a book all you want but it does not make it true. Even Jesus has stated several times to our mediums that He did not come here to be sacrificed. That would have went against the Laws of God. I also believe that one of the commandments is "Thou shalt not kill". That means we are not to kill anyone for any reason. Do you not understand that when you harm another in any way, you are doing the same harm to your own soul. That when you kill someone, for any reason, it goes against all that God represents? The bible may state that killing another is ok but it is not true. It is not what God wants from us. Love does not do any harm to another. Even if you may think it is to be done for remission purposes, it is against the laws of God.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
You can quote a book all you want but it does not make it true. Even Jesus has stated several times to our mediums that He did not come here to be sacrificed.
I don't even need to read any more! The bolded is heresy! You should be very careful!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I don't even need to read any more! The bolded is heresy! You should be very careful!
So, if I am taught by spirits that loving God and each other are the most important things and that to become perfect as God is perfect is what we should strive to do, I should be careful? It says the same thing in your bible yet it's ok for you but not me? Funny. I follow Divine Love, which is God's substance, yet I am not the one who condemns others to hell for their beliefs. Maybe it's you who needs to be careful.

The bible was written 2000 years ago. It has some good points in it yet it still carries barbaristic ideas that you still follow. Should I be telling you that you follow the devil and that you will burn in hell for the book you adhere to and that it's the work of satan? I think not. You chose it because that is the condition of your soul. My soul condition has moved beyond that to a better way of life. To live in love and to follow all that love has to offer.

Yes, you should be careful as you never know what evil person wrote about God in the barbaristic manner that is depicted in your book of choice. God is love and love is who we are. When we do not love and condemn others and give them warnings about their spiritual preference, we are not following Big Brother. He said we should love one another. You are a child of God. I may not like your beliefs but you are still His child to do with your life as you so choose.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
So, if I am taught by spirits that loving God and each other are the most important things and that to become perfect as God is perfect is what we should strive to do, I should be careful? It says the same thing in your bible yet it's ok for you but not me? Funny. I follow Divine Love, which is God's substance, yet I am not the one who condemns others to hell for their beliefs. Maybe it's you who needs to be careful.

The bible was written 2000 years ago. It has some good points in it yet it still carries barbaristic ideas that you still follow. Should I be telling you that you follow the devil and that you will burn in hell for the book you adhere to and that it's the work of satan? I think not. You chose it because that is the condition of your soul. My soul condition has moved beyond that to a better way of life. To live in love and to follow all that love has to offer.

Yes, you should be careful as you never know what evil person wrote about God in the barbaristic manner that is depicted in your book of choice. God is love and love is who we are. When we do not love and condemn others and give them warnings about their spiritual preference, we are not following Big Brother. He said we should love one another. You are a child of God. I may not like your beliefs but you are still His child to do with your life as you so choose.
The problem is, your spirits are telling you things contrary to God's Word. The Holy Spirit will NEVER do that! Jesus taught from Holy Scripture. That's good enough for me. Do you not believe God has the power to sustain His written Word to mankind?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
The problem is, your spirits are telling you things contrary to God's Word. The Holy Spirit will NEVER do that! Jesus taught from Holy Scripture. That's good enough for me. Do you not believe God has the power to sustain His written Word to mankind?
The Holy Spirit does not reside within anyone. It's God's instrument that conveys His Love to mankind. It's a tool. I'm sure that if you felt the same thing the apostles did at Pentecost then the Holy Spirit has sent God's love to you. If not, then you have not received His Love. The Holy Spirit is a projection from God to do His work. It is not a part of Him.

I believe that God's Truths never change but man's truth does. Men wrote the bible thousands of years ago. Their ideas of God are written therein. Over time, mans ideas changed. They are no longer barbaric so the NT depicts a different version of God based on man's truths that changed.

If all of God's Truths were revealed to mankind, we would need a lot more books because He has more than what can fit in the bible. We are only on the brink of all that He has to offer. When we close our minds to all the possibilities and proclaim that we have all of His truths, we are only fooling ourselves. Our truths change, God's does not.

I believe that until we are at-one with God, He will reveal Truths as we are ready for them. He is not done and won't be for quite some time. He reveals His truths to anyone that is willing to convey them to our fellow humans. It can be through mediums, prophets or anyone who has the gift of insight. There will be those kinds of people until we are all able to communicate with the spirit world. There are more and more people that can do that. Even in Jesus' time it was common for all the people to communicate with spirits. Religions have put fear in man so we slowly lost that gift. Now that more and more people are waking up to the fear of religion, more and more people are becoming the voice for God. Teaching our children of Him and our scientists of His laws. It is only up to us to wake up and hear His voice.

I have no fear of the spirits that talk through our mediums as they are extremely loving and only want the best for us. They do not demand and they do not force us to listen to the messages. They do not threaten or condemn those who do not partake of Divine Love. They are patient and kind, loving and compassionate. And yes, the real, true Jesus is one of them.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The Holy Spirit does not reside within anyone. It's God's instrument that conveys His Love to mankind. It's a tool. I'm sure that if you felt the same thing the apostles did at Pentecost then the Holy Spirit has sent God's love to you. If not, then you have not received His Love. The Holy Spirit is a projection from God to do His work. It is not a part of Him.
Romans 8:9

9You are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Quote:
I believe that God's Truths never change but man's truth does. Men wrote the bible thousands of years ago. Their ideas of God are written therein. Over time, mans ideas changed. They are no longer barbaric so the NT depicts a different version of God based on man's truths that changed.
So, the answer is no, you don't believe God has the power to sustain His written Word to us.

Quote:
If all of God's Truths were revealed to mankind, we would need a lot more books because He has more than what can fit in the bible. We are only on the brink of all that He has to offer. When we close our minds to all the possibilities and proclaim that we have all of His truths, we are only fooling ourselves. Our truths change, God's does not.
So God has not revealed everything to us. So what? That's His prerogative.

Quote:
I believe that until we are at-one with God, He will reveal Truths as we are ready for them. He is not done and won't be for quite some time. He reveals His truths to anyone that is willing to convey them to our fellow humans. It can be through mediums, prophets or anyone who has the gift of insight. There will be those kinds of people until we are all able to communicate with the spirit world. There are more and more people that can do that. Even in Jesus' time it was common for all the people to communicate with spirits. Religions have put fear in man so we slowly lost that gift. Now that more and more people are waking up to the fear of religion, more and more people are becoming the voice for God. Teaching our children of Him and our scientists of His laws. It is only up to us to wake up and hear His voice.
The Bible is explicitly clear in its handling of channeling and contacting the dead. Scripture has a well-documented view of the practice of mediums, channeling, and fortune-telling. Leviticus 19:31 states: “Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them…”. Leviticus 20:6 says: “I will set my face against the person who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute himself by following them, and I will cut him off from his people.” Deuteronomy 18:12 says that consulting mediums or channeling the dead is “detestable.” Clearly, God sees these practices as sinful and completely without benefit.

What does the Bible say about channeling?

Quote:
I have no fear of the spirits that talk through our mediums as they are extremely loving and only want the best for us. They do not demand and they do not force us to listen to the messages. They do not threaten or condemn those who do not partake of Divine Love. They are patient and kind, loving and compassionate. And yes, the real, true Jesus is one of them.
see above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality