Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
"Premonition" is just the word we give that intersection between thoughts about future events, and future events, where they appear to match. The fact we have a word for it does not magically mean something surreal is happening there and people are actually seeing the future. It is just a cognitive bias to notice such interactions in a mass of failed such interactions.
I would be inclined to suggest that (at least in some cases) [some] 'premonitions' may be a result of the subconscious mind processing data and variables and presenting a conclusion to the conscious mind, without the subject being 'aware' of the processing. Some of the data processed may include sense information which the subject may have observed, but is not consciously aware of having observed it, and/or previous experiences which were recorded but not consciously recalled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
I think we only use 10% of our hearts.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I think we only use 10% of our hearts.
No, if that were the case we would all be dead.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:54 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I would be inclined to suggest that (at least in some cases) [some] 'premonitions' may be a result of the subconscious mind processing data and variables and presenting a conclusion to the conscious mind, without the subject being 'aware' of the processing. Some of the data processed may include sense information which the subject may have observed, but is not consciously aware of having observed it, and/or previous experiences which were recorded but not consciously recalled.
I think you are right if I understand what you are saying.

A person's body language could be telegraphing (I'm using a boxing term) that they are about to punch someone. We may be consciously unaware of all the elements of the person's body language that is revealing his intent, but our eyes and ears picked on it and our subconscious brain is processing it and gives our conscious mind the sense that something violent is about to happen.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Agreed. If we had to be consciously aware of everything which our brains are processing (not including the autonomic stuff), we would never get anything done.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo"
There simply is no evidence on offer, much less by you, that such things exist. Showing that some people have put time and money into them does not constitute evidence they exist either. People put immense amounts of time and money into alchemy too for example. Where did that get them.
What you mean is that you cannot accept the evidence that is presented to you, however there is evidence from many different places - it is just your need for absolute touchable proof, that is the reason you cannot accept it.

Your arguments that governments are gullible is an illogical one, since many projects are not determined by one person but by a committee and many funding requests have to be shown to have some basis or at least more than a whiff of superstition.

Police forces have to justify their budget too.

Alchemy was the basis for the huge pharmaceutical industry and also it was and is the only method of health care in some 'primative' civilisations. It has served them pretty well for a long time - even if you do not agree with it.

Quote:
There simply is no evidence on offer, much less by you...
I think your attitude needs revising too.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
There is "evidence", and then there is EVIDENCE. Please, forgive me for not being gullible.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What you mean is that you cannot accept the evidence that is presented to you
I am well aware of what I mean. Mainly because I mean it. What I mean bears no resemblance to what you say here. This is just strawmannery I am afraid.

I am perfectly capable of evaluating, and where valid, accepting the evidence presented to me. The issue HERE is that no evidence has been presented to me. I can not accept, or even refuse to accept, that which has not been presented. So your fantasy that I cannot accept it is... just that... a fantasy. I do not deal in fantasy, thanks all the same.

Quote:
there is evidence from many different places
Great. Simply present it then. Just saying it is there and running off without saying what it is.... is to say nothing at all.

The problem is that the user who I was replying to in the post you decided to reply to ALSO was not presenting evidence, but just pointing out that some money and time was poured into the attempt to find it.

That ALSO is to say nothing at all. If I poured 1 million dollars and 10 years into looking for unicorns, that does not mean the existence of unicorns is suddenly more plausible.

Quote:
many funding requests have to be shown to have some basis or at least more than a whiff of superstition.
Many. Not all. Thank you for making my point for me. That is exactly what I am saying! Glad you agree.

The fact that people, or even committees of people, sometimes pour time and money into dead ends is one known to us. The fact therefore that some people, or committees have poured time and money into researching premonition or psychic phenomenon therefore is of absolutely NO evidence that such phenomenon actually exist.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I think you are right if I understand what you are saying.

A person's body language could be telegraphing (I'm using a boxing term) that they are about to punch someone. We may be consciously unaware of all the elements of the person's body language that is revealing his intent, but our eyes and ears picked on it and our subconscious brain is processing it and gives our conscious mind the sense that something violent is about to happen.
Yes, that's the gist of it.

It can be expanded further- the fellow who walks out the door, then turns around and goes back to get an umbrella because he has a 'premonition' that it's going to rain. His brain has recorded certain weather cues, such as wind cloud formations, barometric pressure, humidity, etc. of which he may not be completely conscious, but his subconscious analyzes the data and presents the result and he thinks "Gee, it might rain today" without being totally aware of how he arrived at that conclusion.

Or the employee who picks up on subtle cues at work, changes in peoples' attitudes and expressions and behavior toward him...and suddenly he gets this 'bad feeling' that he is going to be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The fact that people, or even committees of people, sometimes pour time and money into dead ends is one known to us. The fact therefore that some people, or committees have poured time and money into researching premonition or psychic phenomenon therefore is of absolutely NO evidence that such phenomenon actually exist.
The military, the CIA and other government agencies have spent embarrassingly large sums of money exploring this sort of thing...to no avail. They would have been overjoyed to find some advantage in using 'psychics' to spy, to find important targets to bomb, etc. They failed utterly and completely.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The military, the CIA and other government agencies have spent embarrassingly large sums of money exploring this sort of thing...to no avail. They would have been overjoyed to find some advantage in using 'psychics' to spy, to find important targets to bomb, etc. They failed utterly and completely.
Yes this is why I laugh at the people like the user above who present, as evidence for psychic phenomenon, the number of people who have poured timed and money into it.

Not only is people investing time and money into an idea not evidence that the idea if valid.... but the fact they DID put that much time and money into it and STILL came up with squat.... tells us a lot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality