Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times

Advertisements

For Athiests, Agnostics & Theists & anyone else...

If you deny, aren't sure, or believe in something, isn't it important to define what that something is?

For God's sake, ...who or what is God... TO YOU?

I'm not interested in dictionary or religious definitions.
I'm interested in YOUR definition of God/spirituality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
"God" is Love. If I simply accept love as the most important and powerful force for good in this life and I don't try to define "God" much beyond that, I'm usually good to go.

Sometimes, given the nature of love, it makes sense to me to think of God/Love as the all-encompassing Consciousness from Which all things have their existence and Which has an agenda and purpose for the Universe that will have an end result that is, well, Loving. Othertimes, it makes much less sense in my mind to think of it in such a "spiritual" way and my mind-set is more natural/materialist.

So, I'm a fence sitter, who is pretty content to simply stay focused on cooperating with Love in my life and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Why does love need another name?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Why does love need another name?
I assume you're asking me...

Coming from my background (christian) it is often helpful for me, personally, to think of God/Love interchangably since I am in a constant state of flux about my beliefs about the existence of a god. That's all I was sharing in my post ... my personal thoughts and understanding (or lack thereof). I'm not expecting that everyone has to, or will, agree with my definition of "God". It's just how I see things.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"God" is Love. If I simply accept love as the most important and powerful force for good in this life and I don't try to define "God" much beyond that, I'm usually good to go.

Sometimes, given the nature of love, it makes sense to me to think of God/Love as the all-encompassing Consciousness from Which all things have their existence and Which has an agenda and purpose for the Universe that will have an end result that is, well, Loving. Othertimes, it makes much less sense in my mind to think of it in such a "spiritual" way and my mind-set is more natural/materialist.

So, I'm a fence sitter, who is pretty content to simply stay focused on cooperating with Love in my life and let the chips fall where they may.
Thanks for sharing this, Pleroo.
I believe similarly, except IMO, a major aspect of love (the most important & powerful force for good) is defining it in each circumstance.
IE: Parents want their child to be happy, but if they tried to make their child happy every moment, they'd both be miserable.

Love is wanting & striving for what is best, through trial & error.
Many times we don't know what is best, or we do know, but at the moment, we let our passions dictate.
Sometimes love means cooperating, sometimes it means fighting!
Intuition & logic, in harmony, help define how best to love in each circumstance.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Thanks for sharing this, Pleroo.
I believe similarly, except IMO, a major aspect of love (the most important & powerful force for good) is defining it in each circumstance.
IE: Parents want their child to be happy, but if they tried to make their child happy every moment, they'd both be miserable.

Love is wanting & striving for what is best, through trial & error.
Many times we don't know what is best, or we do know, but at the moment, we let our passions dictate.
Sometimes love means cooperating, sometimes it means fighting!
Intuition & logic, in harmony, help define how best to love in each circumstance.
I have no disagreement with any of that.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 PM

110 posts, read 107,421 times
It's a plague born in myth that pits factions of people against each other for made-up reasons.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Gods are man made constructs, spirituality is the term used to describe how gods are perceived.

IOW, all in the mind and imaginary.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:45 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
God is the omnipotent/omniscient being that created the Universe and set its physical constants. This concept allows for an absolute Truth, gratitude for existence, and meaning. Although as there is no incontrovertible proof of God's existence some feel that there is no reason to believe in such a being. Going on something like the notion of "logical truths" where things are only believed to exist if they must exist or can't not exist. There are things about God I believe, that are more specific to my religion, but I'll get into them later.

Spirituality initially referred to the soul and spirits. I would guess in particular a feeling of connection or concern for one's soul, angels, spirits, and so forth. In a secular sense I suppose "spirituality" can mean a concern for the things of the "soul" if by "soul" we simply mean the emotional side in one's nature or the "core" of one's identity as an individual. So there have been metaphysical-naturalist who deem themselves "spiritual" because they are deeply reflective, desire strong emotional connection to others, and look for or desire profound emotional or artistic experiences.

Still this is perhaps a little too non-specific. As a Catholic I might say God can not entirely be understood, but that De Summa Theologica and the Nicene Creed may give you a start. That spirituality concerns the Holy Spirit and the Soul. I feel I should add that I see love of God and Neighbor as important to spirituality. Therefore, in my personal view, atheists can't really be spiritual in the most proper sense of the term. (Although an atheist who loves something greater than Humanity, like Nature, and loves/cares-for other people might be close) Bringing up specific Christian terms might imply non-Christians can't be spiritual either, but I think I feel that in a way non-Christians can love God and Neighbor. I fear I'm muddled on the more specifics as I was worried on even mentioning them.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I assume you're asking me...

Coming from my background (christian) it is often helpful for me, personally, to think of God/Love interchangably since I am in a constant state of flux about my beliefs about the existence of a god. That's all I was sharing in my post ... my personal thoughts and understanding (or lack thereof). I'm not expecting that everyone has to, or will, agree with my definition of "God". It's just how I see things.

Yes, I was absolutely asking you. Thanks for the clarification. I can understand why, given your background, that you have not completely walked away from the idea of a "god".

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality