Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times

Advertisements

Psychology and religious thought - it's the same isn't it - or not?

Hard to separate really.

There is no factual evidence for any God, and often some realms of psychology are only theoretical.

Most people follow some kind of archetypal principle, why?

How did DNA allow us to end up with these thought patterns - did God (however you see this idea) plan/allow for this to happen, or did it just end up this way?

Can all religious though be explained away by psychology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
what?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Religion uses psychology (as informally understood, usually) to manipulate and control the sheeple. That doesn't make them the same. There is overlap of course. To the extent you understand how the human mind works and can be fooled, comforted, or distressed, you can use that knowledge to devise and/or present religious teachings. To the extent that psychology (say, especially, Jungian psychology) uses archetype and legend and the like, and codifies symbolisms that the mind understands, it has some similarities to religion; in fact, Jung himself was quite taken with eastern religious thought.

I would say the factual basis for psychology, while flaky at times, is more substantial than the basis of religion. At least it's based on the (mis)understanding and (mis)interpretation of observable human behaviors rather than something that's based on imagined relationships with celestial beings. Some of psychology (Lacan, for instance) is as impenetrable as theology; some (Jung and Freud) can be as fanciful and subjective as some aspects of religious teaching; some (cognitive behavior therapy) is more scientific-seeming however. Certainly psychology as informed by recent understanding of brain function is making some actual contributions to reducing human suffering. I have some hope for psychology; I have no hope at all for religion.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:

Hard to separate really.

There is no factual evidence for any God, and often some realms of psychology are only theoretical.

Most people follow some kind of archetypal principle, why?

How did DNA allow us to end up with these thought patterns - did God (however you see this idea) plan/allow for this to happen, or did it just end up this way?

Psychology? like published studies and tested hypothesis?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
What kind of question is this? Psychology as a science has nothing to do with religion, in fact it provides alternative explanations to religious beliefs (schizophrenia vs. demonic possession, for example).

If someone close to you was diagnosed with a severe mental illness, would you rather he be treated by a priest or by a psychologist?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
What kind of question is this? Psychology as a science has nothing to do with religion, in fact it provides alternative explanations to religious beliefs (schizophrenia vs. demonic possession, for example).

If someone close to you was diagnosed with a severe mental illness, would you rather he be treated by a priest or by a psychologist?
As a person with a degree in Psychology, I can assure you that psychology is not a science. It is an art. My dergree is not a master of science (MS), but a master of arts (MA)

OTOH Severe mental illness is a medical condition that needs to be treated with drugs and a treatment program. Time spent in a facility, usually under the H&S code of 5150 in many states. Something a mere psychologist is not trained or qualified to treat. No, we are talking about what a psychiatrist does. A person who is an MD. Someone who can prescibe drugs or commit a person to a hospital.

Light or medium mental illness is treated by chating with a counselor, who is either a psychologist or a pastor. Equally effective or usless.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As a person with a degree in Psychology, it is not a science. It is an art. Severe mental illness is a medical condition that needs to be treated with drugs and a treatment program. Time spent in a facility, usually under the H&S code of 5150 in many states. Something a mere psychologist is not trained or qualified to treat. No, we are talking about what a psychiatrist does. A person who is an MD. Someone who can prescibe drugs or commit a person to a hospital.

Light or medium mental illness is treated by chating with a counselor, who is either a psychologist or a pastor.
My mistake, I meant someone with a mentall illness that doesn't require medication or hospitalization.

I don't know what your definition of science is but psychology is most definitely a science under any mainstream definition.

Quote:
Psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of mental functions and behaviors.[1][2] Psychology has the immediate goal of understanding individuals and groups by both establishing general principles and researching specific cases,[3][4] and by many accounts it ultimately aims to benefit society.[5][6] In this field, a professional practitioner or researcher is called a psychologist, and can be classified as a social, behavioral, or cognitive scientist. Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring the physiological and neurobiological processes that underlie certain cognitive functions and behaviors.
Psychologists explore concepts such as perception, cognition, attention, emotion, phenomenology, motivation, brain functioning, personality, behavior, and interpersonal relationships. Psychologists of diverse stripes also consider the unconscious mind.[7] Psychologists employ empirical methods to infer causal and correlational relationships between psychosocial variables. In addition, or in opposition, to employing empirical and deductive methods, some—especially clinical and counseling psychologists—at times rely upon symbolic interpretation and other inductive techniques. Psychology has been described as a "hub science",[8] with psychological findings linking to research and perspectives from the social sciences, natural sciences, medicine, and the humanities, such as philosophy.
Psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As a person with a degree in Psychology, I can assure you that psychology is not a science. It is an art. My dergree is not a master of science (MS), but a master of arts (MA)

OTOH Severe mental illness is a medical condition that needs to be treated with drugs and a treatment program. Time spent in a facility, usually under the H&S code of 5150 in many states. Something a mere psychologist is not trained or qualified to treat. No, we are talking about what a psychiatrist does. A person who is an MD. Someone who can prescibe drugs or commit a person to a hospital.

Light or medium mental illness is treated by chating with a counselor, who is either a psychologist or a pastor. Equally effective or usless.
Another Psychologist here. Although I was not in the field of clinical Psych. My background was Physiological Psychology and did require a Pre-Med and Biology Background. It was very much a science. Although to be honest during my working years, quite often when people saw the name psychologist I often found myself cast into the role of being a social worker.

Other fields of Psychology that require a strong science background are:

Tests & Measurements

Experimental Psychology

Comparative Psychology

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
My mistake, I meant someone with a mentall illness that doesn't require medication or hospitalization.

I don't know what your definition of science is but psychology is most definitely a science under any mainstream definition.

Psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The application and practice of the work of psychology is an art. You can't put a person into a bottle and add salt and then shake and get the desired result.

You talk, you observe, you give your input, you ask how the client feels, you ask them what they think and make a suggestion and hope it works. Listen and nod.

That's how it is. Pastor or Psychologist. If you have the knack and skill the end result is the same. One major difference is that 80% of psychologists had mental issues and were helped by psychologists and decided to become counselors. Not so pastors, The dark secrect of the field. Not that these folks can't help. The principle of it takes one to know one applies. Ex druggies are the best counselors for druggies.

Now you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Another Psychologist here. Although I was not in the field of clinical Psych. My background was Physiological Psychology and did require a Pre-Med and Biology Background. It was very much a science. Although to be honest during my working years, quite often when people saw the name psychologist I often found myself cast into the role of being a social worker.

Other fields of Psychology that require a strong science background are:

Tests & Measurements

Experimental Psychology

Comparative Psychology
Science, well kind of, yea, but the practice is most definetly an art in its application and practice..

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-05-2012 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,988,397 times
Quote:

Yes, 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality