Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,029,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe she should have offered to have them attend a service in her "Universal Christian" church and take communion with her as "Universal Christians."

Oh wait, they can't.
Wrong, anyone can technically receive communion in any church...you stand in judgement of yourself if you do.

There are many catholics that receive communion that are not in a state of grace or reconciliation to receive it. I stand in judgement of myself through life, as you do also.. religious or not.

Find something better to be upset about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Wrong, anyone can technically receive communion in any church...you stand in judgement of yourself if you do.

There are many catholics that receive communion that are not in a state of grace or reconciliation to receive it. I stand in judgement of myself through life, as you do also.. religious or not.

Find something better to be upset about.
Nice closing line. Defensive and hypocritical all in one pithy little sentence.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,073,963 times
Quote:
Maybe she should have offered to have them attend a service in her "Universal Christian" church and take communion with her as "Universal Christians."

Oh wait, they can't.
That's what the majority of Christians decided(non-Catholics not allowed). yes. I guess the O.P.s story is just bad Karma.
basically by "universal Christian" they meant "majority and basic Christian" of course if the Roman Catholics stop being the major denomination of Christians they probably wont stop calling themselfs "Catholic". Any "true" Christian is allowed to take communion in a Catholic Church.
Quote:

The Church sets out specific guidelines regarding how we should prepare ourselves to receive the Lord’s body and blood in Communion. To receive Communion worthily, you must be in a state of grace (faithful Christian), have made a good confession since your last mortal sin, believe in transubstantiation (by faith), observe the Eucharistic fast, and, finally, not be under an ecclesiastical censure such as excommunication.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,029,491 times
Quote:
I stayed up for nights just thinking of that for you darlin

Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
wrong. and I'm not even a Catholic.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,870,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The Allah of the Koran sent a deceiving angel to deny that Jesus is God's son. .
I understand that Biblegod too is rather keen on using deceit in the form of 'lying spirits'.

1 Kings 22:20 and the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’
And one said one thing, and another said another.
21 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the Lord, saying, ‘I will entice him.’
22 And the Lord said to him, ‘By what means?’
And the spirit said, ‘I will go out, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’
And the Lord said, ‘You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go out and do so.’
23 Now therefore behold, the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; the Lord has declared disaster for you.â€

Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,215,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
He was correcting your wrong information about praying to saints and Mary. Correcting your errors is useful to the dialog.

We don't worship the pope either.
Neither Mary nor any other deceased human can be an intercessor for prayer. Mary is dead and asleep in the grave until the resurrection of the dead in Christ. The dead sleep (Matthew 27:52, John 3:13). They know nothing (Daniel 12:2, Ecclesiates 9:5-10). Only our Lord Jesus can be our intercessor. All Christians, living and dead, are saints already. A church does not "make" them.

I appreciate your use of terms such as "wrong" and "errors" rather than purposely insulting terms such as "idiot", "ignorant", "uneducated", etc. It makes for a much more learned debate.

Last edited by Bideshi; 08-14-2011 at 01:09 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,425,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Any "true" Christian is allowed to take communion in a Catholic Church.
Ummm...I don't think so.

Quote:
"Because Catholics believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, members of those churches with whom we are not yet fully united are ordinarily not admitted to Communion. Eucharistic sharing in exceptional circumstances by other Christians requires permission according to the directives of the diocesan bishop and the provisions of canon law. . . . "

Scripture is clear that partaking of the Eucharist is among the highest signs of Christian unity: "Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread" (1 Cor. 10:17). For this reason, it is normally impossible for non-Catholic Christians to receive Holy Communion, for to do so would be to proclaim a unity to exist that, regrettably, does not.
Who Can Receive Communion?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Ummm...I don't think so.

Who Can Receive Communion?
Right, well I actually went to a Catholic Church once. They didn't ask questions if you were an adult.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Neither Mary nor any other deceased human can be an intercessor for prayer. Mary is dead and asleep in the grave until the resurrection of the dead in Christ. The dead sleep (Matthew 27:52, John 3:13). They know nothing (Daniel 12:2, Ecclesiates 9:5-10). Only our Lord Jesus can be our intercessor. All Christians, living and dead, are saints already. A church does not "make" them.

I appreciate your use of terms such as "wrong" and "errors" rather than purposely insulting terms such as "idiot", "ignorant", "uneducated", etc. It makes for a much more learned debate.
Actually Catholic Christians beliefs that whom God sends to heaven and when is not up for humans to deside. They likely believe that All non-Saints stay dead until they are resurected. Saints, however, can be sent to heaven and can look down upon us at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality