Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we add a "Christians-only" sub-forum?
Yes 40 54.05%
No 34 45.95%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a bad idea to me....even in a Christian only sub forum you would still have those Christians that don't consider some "Real" Christians...

Sounds like another way to discriminate to me.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,602 times
Back on page 1, I mentioned that I could see a new "Christians-only" sub-forum being about Christian theology as outlined in Widipedia here:

Christian theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really don't see any problem in defining a Christian, isn't one simply a believer in Christ?
And I really don't see any problem in trying to protect discussions about Christian theology from interference by non-Christians.

Posters would need to decide when posting whether they want to possibly elicit non-Christian answers or not, and which forum to pose their questions in.
I've witnessed way too many attacks on Christian and theist beliefs to ignore the reality that it will continue.
If people want to continue those battles, then they would remain free to do so in the general religion forum, simple as that.
If they would like to have any particular discussion limited to Christian theology only without interference by non-believers, then they would be able to post in the proposed new sub-forum.
But without the new sub-forum, the constant anarchy and attacks on theists and religion in general would need to stop. But that won't happen because assertive moderation would be a futile task.
How many times do theists need to be chided to prove the existence of God or to justify their faith in Christ?
No one should need to justify their faith in order to publically discuss it.
The insulting comments & attacks really need to stop.
An atheist recently stated that he had a right to interfere in a discussion.
However, I would disagree and assert that it's a privilege, not a right.
It's a privilege that should now be limited by creating a new sub-forum.
I sincerely hope that the need for a new sub-forum isn't abandoned and that a new format would at least be given a trial period.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Hmmm.... thinking.....thinking.... As aiangel said "Christians only" just sounds kind of rude.

What about "Christian Chat" ? Would something like that convey the idea enough?
I am with Kay on this one: it does sound kind of exclusionary....like if you are not a "certified" Christian, then you are not welcome....

Bud

Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Sun, most of us would have no problem with defining a Christian. However, there are those that lay down certain rules and regulations, mainly in the manner of when and how baptism is performed.

And then we have posters that ask questions like "can you be a Christian and still shop at Walmarts?" or "Can you be Gay and still be a Christian?" "Can Christians love their pets more than their neighbors?"

Of Course, I would say that the answer to all of those question is YES. But not every Christian would agree with me.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
I guess I'd rather not have a "Christians Only" forum. I like the flavor of having viewpoints of people of other faiths.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Sun, most of us would have no problem with defining a Christian. However, there are those that lay down certain rules and regulations, mainly in the manner of when and how baptism is performed.

And then we have posters that ask questions like "can you be a Christian and still shop at Walmarts?" or "Can you be Gay and still be a Christian?" "Can Christians love their pets more than their neighbors?"

Of Course, I would say that the answer to all of those question is YES. But not every Christian would agree with me.
The forum Administrator would decide the definition of Christian if there was even a necessity, but I don't think that there is a necessity considering how open the current religion forum operates.
They already let non-religious topics run rampant here, so to think that anything but the most liberal definition of a Christian would be chosen or "enforced" would be pure folly.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
I guess I'd rather not have a "Christians Only" forum. I like the flavor of having viewpoints of people of other faiths.
I do too. But at the same time, I think it would be nice to have a second forum where you could discuss issues without someone trying to debate or challenge you about faith related issues.

I wish we could set something like that up without excluding people.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:23 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I do too. But at the same time, I think it would be nice to have a second forum where you could discuss issues without someone trying to debate or challenge you about faith related issues.

I wish we could set something like that up without excluding people.
Oh Kaykay, so do I, so do I. Who knew this would open such a large can of worms?

I just don't understand the controversy, I mean, if the forum made, then if you didn't want to, you would not have to go into it. I just don't understand the need to stop it simply because you don't like it. (the term 'you' used here does not pertain to kaykay, it is a general term of use.)

It's like, not allowing us, who want it, to have it simply because they don't like or want it. ????? It would be an open forum but not mandated to go into so what is the big deal? How does it discriminate? And what do you call it when we are attacked??? Do we not have rights to voice our belief without being attacked? Why should we have to suck it up and continue with the same ole same ole when it goes against our belief in peace??????It's not like we are asking to take away the other forum, but just to add one to give us peace loving people a break....

Oh, I am going to hush up now....

Old 08-15-2007, 02:09 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
The Religion Forum for ME always seems to be a place where everything is debated over and over again . I find it very unpleasant and not my cup of tea . I also feel that this forum pushes away more folks then it attracts, myself included, due to the constant negativity back and forth between both groups .

Like-minded folks like to gather in the same place and discuss things that are near and dear to them. I'm sorry that some of you can't understand that and feel it is 'exclusive'. It happens in RL and on the net. I have read quite a few posts on here recently where people say they wish Christians would not 'evangelize' to them and not quote scripture in our responses .

I personally cannot comprehend how someone who has accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior can stop speaking about how GREAT & AWESOME the God we serve is !!! Therefore to me, a forum where posters who do not want to hear Christians share our love for Christ, can only be positive for all of us IMHO, not negative.

But hey, keep on debating . I realized months ago I can share Christ in any forum without all the headaches and grief in this one . PEACE OUT !

~HDL~

p.s.
This will be my last post in this thread .

Old 08-15-2007, 02:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
The Religion Forum for ME always seems to be a place where everything is debated over and over again . I find it very unpleasant and not my cup of tea . I also feel that this forum pushes away more folks then it attracts, myself included, due to the constant negativity back and forth between both groups .

Like-minded folks like to gather in the same place and discuss things that are near and dear to them. I'm sorry that some of you can't understand that and feel it is 'exclusive'. It happens in RL and on the net. I have read quite a few posts on here recently where people say they wish Christians would not 'evangelize' to them and not quote scripture in our responses .

I personally cannot comprehend how someone who has accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior can stop speaking about how GREAT & AWESOME the God we serve is !!! Therefore to me, a forum where posters who do not want to hear Christians share our love for Christ, can only be positive for all of us IMHO, not negative.

But hey, keep on debating . I realized months ago I can share Christ in any forum without all the headaches and grief in this one . PEACE OUT !

~HDL~

p.s.
This will be my last post in this thread .
Well! Haven't we just all been told!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality