Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

There has been much imposition of laws based on religious beliefs:

Sunday Blue Laws that prevented businesses from operating on the Sunday Christian Sabbath.

Bars restricted from opening and supermarkets/grocery stores restricted from selling beer before Church services were over on the Sunday Christian Sabbath.

Municipalities and municipal agencies using tax funds sponsoring Halloween, Christmas and Easter celebrations/festivities.

Uncovering your head in the Christian manner when in a gov't court.

Requiring parents to provide the name of a new born child within 3 days of that child's birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
I see. If you're a 'flamer' why didn't you just say so in the first place.

I have debated a few here in the forum. It may interest you to know that each and every time it was always my detractors who first brought the Bible or Bible verses into the discussion. I invite you to check the record.

As for me, I do recall believing and doing a lot of silly and immature things when I was 10 years old. Were you able to fully understand "it" then? Have you attempted to fully understand "it" now?

I really can't take your "common sense prevails" declaration seriously if you're unprepared to back it up. My candid assessment is that it's nothing more than mindless immature blather. Do yourself a favor and stick to the chat forums.
Well.......nanner, nanner, nanner to you too! LMAO

Your insults are not going to goad me into doing something I don't feel like doing.

Kinda like that religious thing....."if you don't fall in line, you're gonna burn in hell". Not gonna work.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
All the talking points, gay marriage, abortion, etc. etc. boil down to if you don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex, don't approve of abortion, don't have one. Don't believe one should be able to buy beer on Sunday morning, don't buy one on Sunday.
I dont disagree with what you have said here, however, there are other reasons why a person might be opposed to the above listed things other than for religion. For instance, I'm sure there is some Atheist somewhere that holds the position that abortion is murder. As far as homosexuality, you could take issue with the public health aspect of that, and so on and so forth.

These people all have a legitament right to their say, whether it be based on religion, their own humanistic morals or what have you.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-28-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I dont disagree with what you have said here, however, there are other reasons why a person might be opposed to the above listed things other than for religion. For instance, I'm sure there is some Atheist somewhere that holds the position that abortion is murder. As far as homosexuality, you could take issue with the public health aspect of that, and so on and so forth.

These people all have a legitament right to their say, whether it be based on religion, their own humanistic morals or what have you.
All just talking points. Multiple sex partners lead to the spread of disease, not whether it be homosexual or heterosexual sex.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
All just talking points. Multiple sex partners lead to the spread of disease, not whether it be homosexual or heterosexual sex.
Actually, promiscuous sex, when practiced by hetrosexuals, is even worse for society......as it can lead to "fatherless" children who end up being supported by taxpayers.

You know.....the guys who have 3, 4 or 5 "my baby mama's" and support none of them.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Our founding fathers were really keen on the notion that church and state should be separate things and that the church should not have a say in the function of government. A number of our founding fathers had seen first hand the tyranny that exists when the church controls the state. No church should be trusted to dabble in politics.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Totaly agree.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Now the question I would like to pose to you is, wouldn't this be the same as a democrat saying to a republican "as a democrat, I don't really care if you are a republican until you choose to attempt to impose what you believe into society" ???
Although I'm theist I don't know that it's entirely the same as those are ideologies of governance. Religion isn't quite the same.

However the affairs of state do impinge on issues of ethics and religions do tend to have a public component. So if a place wanted to ban male circumcision, as San Francisco had a movement for that, it would be a bit oppressive to expect religious Jews from having Judaism-related objections to that. People do get to express or vote based on their values. Whether those values are Christian, Hindu, Confucian, Utilitarian, Humanist, or what have you. Still they're not supposed to impose any sectarian idea on the whole populace.

So atheists really should have rights to not say "Under God" or whatever. I wouldn't really want laws that impose purely religious values on atheists. Although laws or the state intentionally restricting the rights of others, to protect atheists, could also be problematic. Issues of minority rights and all can be complicated.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Our founding fathers were really keen on the notion that church and state should be separate things and that the church should not have a say in the function of government. A number of our founding fathers had seen first hand the tyranny that exists when the church controls the state. No church should be trusted to dabble in politics.
Yes, Dusty...those so-called "Founding Fathers" were (so they claimed) keen on the NOTION.

And even more keen at demonstrating what evil, lying, hypocrites they were, by DOING much of the opposite...and with great purpose, dedication, fervency, and enthusiasm!

Some of their "fine" example carries over to this day--We STILL can't get the people in our governments to lose their head-trips over religious dogma as a persuasive basis for their votes and actions within their job.
We may never see that day...unfortunately.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Once again, so what.

It doesn't matter why someone opposes or supports abortion or gay marriage.

Someone who opposes abortion because that's what their religion tells them has as much right to influence gov't, policy as someone who opposes abortion because genetics or biology convince them life exists, or they know people who regret the decision, or saw a 3rd month sonogram and is sickened by the thought of anyone killing what they saw merely because that thing is an inconvenience.

Who are you or anyone else to tell someone to they can't influence law because you don't like Why they formed their opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality