Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Something I hear alot on here { and something I have said myself } Is that Atheists and unbelievers have a real problem with religious folk of any type trying to impose laws based on their religious beliefs into society. Myself, being an unbeliever of any organized religion, also thought this way.

Though, Not to long ago I thought about this for a little while and I now see what I percieve to have been an error in my way of thinking The following quote is what inspired me to start this thread.

Quote:
As an atheist, I don't really care what you believe UNTIL you choose to attempt to impose what you believe into society, our laws, and even what wars we fight.
Now the question I would like to pose to you is, wouldn't this be the same as a democrat saying to a republican "as a democrat, I don't really care if you are a republican until you choose to attempt to impose what you believe into society" ???

Or for instance, wouldn't it be the same as someone who was pro-life telling somone who was pr-choice that "they didnt care what they believe"......etc. etc. ????

Do you think this is the same? If no, then how not? If yes, than wouldn't this defeat the purpose of a democracy where majority rules? Lastly. isn''t it only fair that the religious get to impose their ideas into our laws if they infact have a mojority?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-26-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Hello all,
Something I hear alot on here { and something I have said myself } Is that Atheists and unbelievers have a real problem with religious folk of any type trying to impose laws based on their religious beliefs into society. Myself, being an unbeliever of any organized religion, also thought this way.

Though, Not to long ago I thought about this for a little while and I now see what I percieve to have been an error in my way of thinking The following quote is what inspired me to start this thread.

Now the question I would like to pose to you is, wouldn't this be the same as a democrat saying to a republican "as a democrat, I don't really care if you are a republican until you choose to attempt to impose what you believe into society" ???

Or for instance, wouldn't it be the same as someone who was pro-life telling somone who was pr-choice that "they didnt care what they believe"......etc. etc. ????

Do you think this is the same? If no, then how not? If yes, than wouldn't this defeat the purpose of a democracy where majority rules?
If I properly understand your point, I have to agree.

In a democracy (keeping in mind that the United States is actually a representative republic) it will most always boil down to two groups with differing views concerning that which constitutes acceptable moral behavior. In a democracy, the simple hard truth is that the majority will naturally force it's notions of morality upon the minority - whether the majority holds to the God view or the non-God view - they will, by necessity, "impose" their views upon the minority.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Do you think this is the same? If no, then how not? If yes, than wouldn't this defeat the purpose of a democracy where majority rules?
I wondered about this question some time past and came to the conclusion that democracy is indeed majority rule, but that does not mean a lack of minority rights.

Shall we consider that point a bit further?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Do you think this is the same? If no, then how not? If yes, than wouldn't this defeat the purpose of a democracy where majority rules? Lastly. isn''t it only fair that the religious get to impose their ideas into our laws if they infact have a mojority?
Congrats on seeing the error in your previous way of thinking.

Your new correct way of thinking is more in tune with representative government and the Bill of Rights.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I wondered about this question some time past and came to the conclusion that democracy is indeed majority rule, but that does not mean a lack of minority rights.
  1. Shall we consider that point a bit further?
Please do.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I just don't have a lot of confidence in someone who is in a position of power consulting with a "god" instead of using cold, hard facts to make important decisions.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I just don't have a lot of confidence in someone who is in a position of power consulting with a "god" instead of using cold, hard facts to make important decisions.
Undoubtedly, we would have to take it to another thread, but if you can convince me that the "cold hard facts" lead to atheism - I'm all ears!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And this is understandable. I'm the same way. But, the fact remains, that IF they have a majority, isn't it only fair that they have a say?

Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
And this is understandable. I'm the same way. But, the fact remains, that IF they have a majority, isn't it only fair that they have a say?
I think there is a point at which democracy needs to be protected from itself.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think there is a point at which democracy needs to be protected from itself.
I agree but that's another discussion entirely. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality