Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times

Advertisements

It's now a common criticism by Christian posters here that atheists produce a seeming endless and predictable stream of nasty, snarky invective and sarcasm when they are deep into the depths of a topic debate.

Question is: why?

Answer is: we face a barrage of equally predictable non-responses that essentially fly in the face of established rules of order (Robert's Rules for instance) that are the cornerstone of a real, honest & usually adjudicated debate.

http://www.robertsrules.com/

(PS: God help the theist fundies if we were required to adhere to these common-sense rules on C-D.... )

We are protected here, all of us, from the consequences of having our real identities and phone numbers available to all the other participants. Can you imagine if I impuned your life's religion and you chose to call me up on the telly on it, or if I could call you at 3:00am (your time) to badger you about your "silly Creationist" ideas?

And so, we can generally let fly with some impunity (guided by the accumulated wisdom of our wonderful moderators of course... ) in our responses to what we might [correctly...] perceive as abject stupidity, blatant intransigence and glaringly incorrect definitions or concepts (like combining evolution and abiogenesis as a primo example... ).

Undt Zoo..., over time, we acquire our own 'Net-personas here, having tried [generally unsuccessfully] to produce some level of polite reasoning and debating banter. We atheists often ask simple logical questions but then receive nonsense, denialist answers, or better yet, unrelated ad hominems, instead of the other side's reasoned & seasoned answers.

We politely ask some of the more vocal and intense amongst them to provide their understanding of the topic at hand, in order to confirm their deep technical understanding of the topic under discussion, (how else can you discuss a topic, if you have no essential understanding of it?) and we get?

Nothing. Ever.

For instance, can any of the vigorous Christian denialists of Evolution, ancient-Earth geology, solar science and a truly ancient cosmos prove their own education and deep understanding in these areas? From a real and accredited university, not some abandoned PO Box-addressed bus-stop in the Aussie outback [a famous but sadly humorous case a few years back... ]

Well, so far, not a one has stepped forard in my +two years posting here. Not a one. And so, I've reluctantly had to come to my own well-supported conclusions about that....

And so.... why is it that we atheists, eps. we with an actual technical background, or those who have wisely chosen to self-educate themselves out of those dark spaces, so quickly and often convert in a debate to responding with Snark & Sarc?? Well... you tell me.

(I feel that I know why, but I wanna see if you do... Besides, I'd probably go into a particularly vicious Snark & Sarc Mode, of which I am now admittedly a predictable and consistent provider. Why?

I feel that time (and my patience) is running out for me to try to achieve even some minor and begrudging level of acceptance from our Christian and Muslim champpions. They have on their philosophical armor, protecting them from an invasion of skeptical-think. I feel I've got 'em pegged, but hey.... even I may be wrong. )

Well then: just tell me how or why I'm so very wrong.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
It's now a common criticism by Christian posters here that atheists produce a seeming endless and predictable stream of nasty, snarky invective and sarcasm when they are deep into the depths of a topic debate.

Answer is: we face a barrage of equally predictable non-responses that essentially fly in the face of established rules of order (Robert's Rules for instance) that are the cornerstone of a real, honest & usually adjudicated debate.

The Official Robert's Rules Of Order Web Site

(PS: God help the theist fundies if we were required to adhere to these common-sense rules on C-D.... )

We are protected here, all of us, from the consequences of having our real identities and phone numbers available to all the other participants. Can you imagine if I impuned your life's religion and you chose to call me up on the telly on it, or if I could call you at 3:00am (your time) to badger you about your "silly Creationist" ideas?

And so, we can generally let fly with some impunity (guided by the accumulated wisdom of our wonderful moderators of course... ) in our responses to what we might [correctly...] perceive as abject stupidity, blatant intransigence and glaringly incorrect definitions or concepts (like combining evolution and abiogenesis as a primo example... ).

Undt Zoo..., over time, we acquire our own 'Net-personas here, having tried [generally unsuccessfully] to produce some level of polite reasoning and debating banter. We atheists often ask simple logical questions but then receive nonsense, denialist answers, or better yet, unrelated ad hominems, instead of the other side's reasoned & seasoned answers.

We politely ask some of the more vocal and intense amongst them to provide their understanding of the topic at hand, in order to confirm their deep technical understanding of the topic under discussion, (how else can you discuss a topic, if you have no essential understanding of it?) and we get?

Nothing. Ever.

For instance, can any of the vigorous Christian denialists of Evolution, ancient-Earth geology, solar science and a truly ancient cosmos prove their own education and deep understanding in these areas? From a real and accredited university, not some abandoned PO Box-addressed bus-stop in the Aussie outback [a famous but sadly humorous case a few years back... ]

Well, so far, not a one has stepped forard in my +two years posting here. Not a one. And so, I've reluctantly had to come to my own well-supported conclusions about that....

And so.... why is it that we atheists, eps. we with an actual technical background, or those who have wisely chosen to self-educate themselves out of those dark spaces, so quickly and often convert in a debate to responding with Snark & Sarc?? Well... you tell me.

(I feel that I know why, but I wanna see if you do... Besides, I'd probably go into a particularly vicious Snark & Sarc Mode, of which I am now admittedly a predictable and consistent provider. Why?

I feel that time (and my patience) is running out for me to try to achieve even some minor and begrudging level of acceptance from our Christian and Muslim champpions. They have on their philosophical armor, protecting them from an invasion of skeptical-think. I feel I've got 'em pegged, but hey.... even I may be wrong. )

To all Atheists: Please, please, please, do not ever stop the great witty snarky (snark- not disrespectful insults) come-backs.
It is a great joy to me...and one of the main reasons I come on this board.

Also...please have Rafius prepare a course on the subject (complete w/lab)...and conduct a virtual-classroom...so all of you can develop and grow in this area.

Thank You,
GldnRain

Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
There seems to be some difficulty in knowing where the line is drawn between snarkiness and disrespectful insults, since it varies with each person on the boards.

GldnRule: I'm glad you can respond as you did! At least it amuses you. I try not to be gratuitously insulting, but some people will take any criticism of their position as heresy worthy of extreme measures (fatwas, etc.).

Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
More than likely the source of said snarkiness can be found here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...r-peoples.html

Lack of respect.

As an aside:

Quote:

Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
1st Amendment, and realizing the detriment of placing pseudo science and myths on the same level as real science makes me snarky and sarcastic. You can't take everyone seriously, especially if they're defending the notion that humans can rise from the dead and other non sense.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
There seems to be some difficulty in knowing where the line is drawn between snarkiness and disrespectful insults, since it varies with each person on the boards.

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:

The Official Robert's Rules Of Order Web Site

Nothing. Ever.

First I was gonna be all like: "Ok dad, I get it....I'll calm the hell down"... but then I remembered Riflmn snarks with the best of us all the time. There is, in fact a scientific answer for everything.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM

245 posts, read 455,497 times
I have been refraining from "Snark & Sarc" because I thought it might be frowned upon (which also seems to cause me to lurk much more often than post). It seems, perhaps, that I've been denying myself the nature embraced by all other birds of the feather. Game on?!?!?!

By the way, love the coinage "Snark & Sarc"

Old 09-01-2011, 03:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
This is an explanation, but it does not work as a justification. I believe it was Data from Star Trek:TNG who said something about past wrongs not excusing bad behavior.

Still you have my sympathy to a large degree. Some people in life can get pushy and weird on these issues.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
I have been refraining from "Snark & Sarc" because I thought it might be frowned upon (which also seems to cause me to lurk much more often than post). It seems, perhaps, that I've been denying myself the nature embraced by all other birds of the feather. Game on?!?!?!

By the way, love the coinage "Snark & Sarc"
I can verify that despite the fact that over in the sidebar we have a 'sarcasm' emoticon for use, that an atheist here can be banned simply for being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.