Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:34 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I already feel like a snowball in hell trying to make a point with you guys. You'll just keep spitting out biblical philosophy and religious dogma without offering any original thoughts of your own. I know you can do better!

blessings...Franco
original thoughts..I was giving you my "original" thoughts..thats how I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 02:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Default An Insecure God...no way Jose!

I Love North Carolina wrote:
The devil wanted to be greater than God, that's why he got thrown out of Heaven.
Why would God feel threatened by something so insignificant? I cannot imagine God being so insecure that he would toss someone out of heaven for something so trivial.

blessings...Franco

Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
It's not religious dogma. If someone who was both God and man lived without sinning...no man can live up to that level. Period.

If you are asking a Christian to pretend that Jesus was just a man then you are asking them to deny his diety.

Maybe you should address it to just the non-believers if you want to have people talk on a "what if" level, as in what if Jesus was just a person...then could man live up to the level of Jesus?
Thank you! I tried to give you points, but I must "spread them around".

Old 08-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I Love North Carolina wrote:
The devil wanted to be greater than God, that's why he got thrown out of Heaven.
Why would God feel threatened by something so insignificant? I cannot imagine God being so insecure that he would toss someone out of heaven for something so trivial.

blessings...Franco
How is it "trivial" to rise up against God?

I don't think this situation could be correctly demonstrated as a teacher/student relationship. I think it would be more accurate to use a captain of a ship. If a few of the crew are trying to commit mutiny, is the captain going to think it trivial or is he going to rid himself of the troublemakers? There can only be one captain of a ship just as there can only be one God.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:30 PM

dojilyn wrote: just as there can only be one God.

I'm with you, I believe there is only ONE God, but I don't know this for a fact, and I suspect that you don't either. You are probably acccepting this on blind faith. Not that there is anything wrong with blind faith, but that is what it is...blind faith. Who has ever proven this beyond a shadow of doubt? In actuality, there might be many Gods.

dojilyn also wrote: If a few of the crew are trying to commit mutiny, is the captain going to think it trivial or is he going to rid himself of the troublemakers?

Using your example a captain of a ship, it seems you are assumming that if a crew member had aspirations to be an even greater captain that the crew member would automatically be about to commit mutiny. What if he isn't planning on becomming a captain until the current cruise is over? Just a thought.

blessings...Franco

Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
I already feel like a snowball in hell trying to make a point with you guys. You'll just keep spitting out biblical philosophy and religious dogma without offering any original thoughts of your own. I know you can do better!

blessings...Franco
Here is my origional thought on your op. IMO, if a person says we should be more like Jesus, he is referring to the earthly Jesus while he was alive on the earth (although he remained sinless) As a human he experienced the everyday emotions and problems that we do. Yet he overcame them with love, prayer and understanding..This in my own opinion is what is meant by being like Christ. BTW, I have neither the education or intelligence to be a philosopher, and I don't claim to belong to any organized christian church.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
dojilyn wrote: just as there can only be one God.

I'm with you, I believe there is only ONE God, but I don't know this for a fact, and I suspect that you don't either. You are probably acccepting this on blind faith. Not that there is anything wrong with blind faith, but that is what it is...blind faith. Who has ever proven this beyond a shadow of doubt? In actuality, there might be many Gods.

dojilyn also wrote: If a few of the crew are trying to commit mutiny, is the captain going to think it trivial or is he going to rid himself of the troublemakers?

Using your example a captain of a ship, it seems you are assumming that if a crew member had aspirations to be an even greater captain that the crew member would automatically be about to commit mutiny. What if he isn't planning on becomming a captain until the current cruise is over? Just a thought.

blessings...Franco

Yes, I believe that there is one God based on blind faith. But like you said, there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you are going to ask questions about the Bible, be prepared to get answers that reflect the content of the Bible, hence the "one God" argument.

Back to the crewman who wanted to be captain...

You said "what if he isn't planning on becoming a captain until the current cruise is over?"

When exactly would you say that God's reign is due to end? Just a question.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:

blessings...Franco
Well, NAR, you are asking a question related to the Bible, so I don't know why you expect those who believe the Bible to give you an answer outside of the theology and doctrine that the Bible teaches.

The Bible says that Jesus was Divine. No other human being is Divine. While we can all aspire to be more like Christ, it is not obtainable to become the literal manifestation of God in the flesh. The Christian struggle is one of constantly resisting the flesh and developing the spirit.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Defeated from the outset!

jazzedforhim wrote:
We strive to be LIKE Christ but no one can live up to the level of perfection OF Christ.
So, if defeat is a given before you even begin, why bother? What's the point?

blessings.....Franco

Old 08-16-2007, 03:50 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
jazzedforhim wrote:
We strive to be LIKE Christ but no one can live up to the level of perfection OF Christ.
So, if you are guaranteed of defeat before you even begin, why bother?

blessings.....Franco
eternal life and the joy of having a risen savior who loves you...and doesnt look on your sin anymore, its as far as the east is to the west..he suffered and died for ALL of us, whether the belief is there that he did that is of no revelance, because he did. I accept what he did for me, and want to be like him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality