Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:28 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times

Advertisements

Metaphor: 1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def. 1).
2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

(Ref: dictionary.com)

How do you differentiate between what is a metaphorical saying in the Bible, and what is meant to be literal? Here's one that is obvious:

Matthew 18:9
9And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire

99.99% of you know that this is a metaphorical saying of Jesus, it is not a literal command. You are not going to gouge your eye out if you get a little piece of dust in it. (unless you are a total nut-cake)

But...what do you do when you come to a passage that is not so easy to determine? Take it literally? Or is a metaphor, a saying to help illustrate a principle?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
Do you have a specific passage in mind?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,823 times
If it suits you, then take it literally. If not, make it a metaphor or find another passage that will allow you to ignore it. This is called "apologetics".

Of course you could also say something is a metaphor for something else in case you can't find a literal passage that promotes your view.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Probably the most famous literal/metaphor of the bible would be the six days of creation.

If it suits you....take it literally. If not, don't

Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Probably the most famous literal/metaphor of the bible would be the six days of creation.

That is exactly the passage I had in mind. Was it really 6 days? Or, was it a metaphor for 6 great periods of time....??? Personally, I don't take it as either literal or not...because I just don't know. Some people will read that passage and then beat others over the head if they don't believe it was 6 literal twenty-four hour days. Frankly, I don't think there's enough information given us to determine what those 6 days were...

Bud

Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 AM

320 posts, read 297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Metaphor: 1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def. 1).
2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

(Ref: dictionary.com)

How do you differentiate between what is a metaphorical saying in the Bible, and what is meant to be literal? Here's one that is obvious:

Matthew 18:9
9And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire

99.99% of you know that this is a metaphorical saying of Jesus, it is not a literal command. You are not going to gouge your eye out if you get a little piece of dust in it. (unless you are a total nut-cake)

But...what do you do when you come to a passage that is not so easy to determine? Take it literally? Or is a metaphor, a saying to help illustrate a principle?

Bud

What passage (if any) are you having trouble figuring out? Or is this just a general question?

Old 08-21-2007, 12:24 AM

274 posts, read 855,599 times
Honestly, BudinAk...to a point I think it's based on personal interpretation, within reason. However, you really have to look at the context of the passage in order to get a sense for what's really being said. In the context of Matthew 18, Jesus is preaching on the value of the simple, pure faith of children, and uses the metaphor you listed as an illustration of purification. There are also clearly stated parables in that passage, which also helps with context. Jesus used those stories to clarify ideas for his followers because CULTURALLY, the Hebrews responded better to illustrations than to pure philosophy.

I do think that the essence (but not the truth!) of many metaphors were lost in translation... obviously the Jews living in Israel during Jesus' time probably had slang and colloquialisms just as we do, and certain metaphors were probably much clearer to them than to Christians of today. A perfect example is the verse than no one wants in their wedding: Ephesians 5:22, where it says for wives to obey/submit to their husbands. In the original language, and taken in context, the chapter is much more about mutual respect than subservience. Not a metaphor, but a translation that doesn't really get the word charge right

As far as the 6 days of creation go, does it really matter if they're metaphorical or literal? I think the main point is just that God created the earth... we don't have all the details, but we have the general idea. You can believe it or not, but regardless of the time frame, the Bible is clear that it happened, and God was in charge of it.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:09 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
But let's suppose for sake of arguement that we didn't have the bible. People, being the inquisitive beings that they are, would have probably done exactly as they have done in non-christian cultures. They would have come up with Beings that started and controled a creation.

A lot would have depended on what type of geographic area they lived in. I may be wrong, but I can't see that had the bible gotten it's start with a people living around an area such as the Grand Canyon, that it would have claimed a six day creation.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
Honestly, BudinAk...to a point I think it's based on personal interpretation, within reason. However, you really have to look at the context of the passage in order to get a sense for what's really being said. In the context of Matthew 18, Jesus is preaching on the value of the simple, pure faith of children, and uses the metaphor you listed as an illustration of purification. There are also clearly stated parables in that passage, which also helps with context. Jesus used those stories to clarify ideas for his followers because CULTURALLY, the Hebrews responded better to illustrations than to pure philosophy. ……………….. As far as the 6 days of creation go, does it really matter if they're metaphorical or literal? I think the main point is just that God created the earth... we don't have all the details, but we have the general idea. You can believe it or not, but regardless of the time frame, the Bible is clear that it happened, and God was in charge of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I agree with MissLizzie, we have to use a common-sense approach and also make sure it doesn’t contradict the rest of the Bible. As far as a literal six-day creation, since I believe that God was the Creator, I can believe that He could have done it in six days. However, this isn’t necessarily a matter of salvation, but if we start disqualifying parts of the Bible, where will it lead to? I see some danger in a pick-and-choose approach, because since we are tended towards sin we will tend to choose the verses or interpretation that will leave us the most room, or the most fleshly freedom (for lack of a better term!!) IMO, we should view the Bible as the inspired word of God, with some metaphors or mysteries that may be hard to understand. Sometimes we get so caught up in the mysteries of the Bible that we neglect the parts which we do understand, instructions for salvation and Christian living.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:41 AM

358 posts, read 916,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
How do you differentiate between what is a metaphorical saying in the Bible, and what is meant to be literal?
That's why we have Oral Law: the Talmud. Unfortunately, Christianity has rejected it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality