Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:25 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times

Advertisements

Come on, now you two..... channel your combativeness into a cause worth fighting: the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses are allowed to walk the streets of America in total freedom, when they should be in jail for preaching a doctrine advocating the destruction of America through eschatological methods and misinterpretation of the Book of Daniel. They should be forced to either salute to the flag, or be thrown into the fiery furnace! Then they'll have some more material to print in their magazines, about how evil countries persecute them, and this fact makes them the only people in the world who are actually correct in their doctrines.

What annoys me is that almost every other magazine they print has a story about how they were persecuted by the Nazis because of their beliefs, since they seem to have a problem with mentioning the main victims of the Nazis - the Jews. They, apparantly, wish to erase that fact from public memory and focus attention on how THEY suffered. Again, not surprising since they share the common belief that the Jews were "Christ-killers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
JWs say apostates are mentally diseased

Well that would certainly be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:50 PM

33,547 posts, read 37,145,710 times
The reason I dislike the JW beliefs is their practice of shunning (treating them like they don't exist) even family members over trivial things like smoking for instance...I have witnessed two families destroyed by this practice...Calling them mentally diseased is beyond all reason.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The reason I dislike the JW beliefs is their practice of shunning (treating them like they don't exist) even family members over trivial things like smoking for instance...I have witnessed two families destroyed by this practice...Calling them mentally diseased is beyond all reason.
There's a Plant Nursery in PA where the husband decided to no longer be a JW - his family and children shunned him, left him and forgot him. It was horrible. But that's how they scare their members into line...

Old 10-01-2011, 08:21 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
There's a Plant Nursery in PA where the husband decided to no longer be a JW - his family and children shunned him, left him and forgot him. It was horrible. But that's how they scare their members into line...
That's true. My JW friends dropped me like a hot potato the second I admitted being a fan of acupuncture (which is "spiritism"). It's sad because these people don't know unconditional love. They only know condition-based love, which is probably why they came to JW theology to begin with. A lot of them were rejected from their former Christian congregations, so they are seeking a place to be accepted. Most of the JW's I know used to be Roman Catholics, but then had a problem with some aspect of the theology, and discovered the Watchtower. Second to Catholics are "other sects of Christianity" like Protestantism and Baptist. Only a small minority of the JW's I know were secular, Jewish, or something else non-Christian before. A good number of them were raised JW, and leaving would mean leaving behind all their family and friends. They have such a strong network of support, it's incredible. If I was raised a JW, I would have a hard time leaving, even if I thought the theology was BS (which I do, but I imagine that's less common if that's all you were raised to believe).

Old 10-01-2011, 05:55 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Cool "Why, how nice of you to drop by!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I always invite them in - they make for an interesting diversion from a boring afternoon. It's fun to make them cringe with well-thought biblical references.
Both approaches work. As well, I (being a FedFirearmsLicencee) often "carry" my ParaOrd 1911 .45 auto on my hip in my shop, just in case some nutto tries to relieve me of inventory or cash.

Well, the JWs arrived one day last month, with the usual youngster and teen-in-apprenticeship in tow (in hopes that their prey don't start in with profanities...), and the two or three adults, all smarmy-smiley, advanced towards me. Their eyes did wander down to the now-prominent .45 auto, since I'd sneakily hiked my sweatshirt up soz it no longer concealed the butt of my pistol.

I immediately said "You folks lost perhaps? Need any help?" Of course I knew exactly what they were, and I bristle with the utter temerity of them assuming to come onto my private property to try to hawk their stupid delusions.

One of them smiled and handed me a tract, being the usual family portrait, a lion and a lamb (waiting, no doubt, for the lion to decide to strike...). I immediately asked why they were here, and one of them asked if I knew that I was going to hell.

I immediately told them I was an active and blaspheming permanent atheist, but also a highly educated virtual bloviating storehouse of vast information, one who could easily prove Evolution, an ancient global geology and so on right there and then, to all of them. And right then I started in with the "For instance...." lines of reasoning, and I bored right through their sputtering "Oh, but but..... buuuhht......." protestations, and the young girl sorta backed away, her eyes getting wide and terrified.

As well.... the teenaged boy looked like he'd just been confronted by his first-ever schoolyard bully. I may even have had a little foaming spittle forming in the corners of my mouth, and if I could ONLY had made my eyes go into spinning spirals, wouldn't that have been fun?

I didn't give them any chances to respond, and eventually, the now-less-smarmy somewhat uneasy looking and not-so-confident head-honcho woman said "Well perhaps this is just not a good time...." and they started to back away. I said "Oh no, I've only just started! You do want to know the truth don't you? You had plenty of time when you first got here, right??" and I began walking towards them, but they began to back away.

They eventually scrambled backwards into their car, slammed the doors, and took off.

"See you again some time? I can explain more if you'd like!" I happily yelled after them. Maybe I shoulda offered each of them (including the girl? Certainly the teen...) a strong whiskey?

I'm pretty sure I saw one of them writing something down in their little black diary book. Wonder what it was....

Last edited by june 7th; 10-01-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Both approaches work. As well, I (being a FedFirearmsLicencee) often "carry" my ParaOrd 1911 .45 auto on my hip in my shop, just in case some nutto tries to relieve me of inventory or cash.

Well, the JWs arrived one day last month, with the usual youngster and teen-in-apprenticeship in tow (in hopes that their prey don't start in with profanities...), and the two or three adults, all smarmy-smiley, advanced towards me. Their eyes did wander down to the now-prominent .45 auto, since I'd sneakily hiked my sweatshirt up soz it no longer concealed the butt of my pistol.

I immediately said "You folks lost perhaps? Need any help?" Of course I knew exactly what they were, and I bristle with the utter temerity of them assuming to come onto my private property to try to hawk their stupid delusions.

One of them smiled and handed me a tract, being the usual family portrait, a lion and a lamb (waiting, no doubt, for the lion to decide to strike...). I immediately asked why they were here, and one of them asked if I knew that I was going to hell.

I immediately told them I was an active and blaspheming permanent atheist, but also a highly educated virtual bloviating storehouse of vast information, one who could easily prove Evolution, an ancient global geology and so on right there and then, to all of them. And right then I started in with the "For instance...." lines of reasoning, and I bored right through their sputtering "Oh, but but..... buuuhht......." protestations, and the young girl sorta backed away, her eyes getting wide and terrified.

As well.... the teenaged boy looked like he'd just been confronted by his first-ever schoolyard bully. I may even have had a little foaming spittle forming in the corners of my mouth, and if I could ONLY had made my eyes go into spinning spirals, wouldn't that have been fun?

I didn't give them any chances to respond, and eventually, the now-less-smarmy somewhat uneasy looking and not-so-confident head-honcho woman said "Well perhaps this is just not a good time...." and they started to back away. I said "Oh no, I've only just started! You do want to know the truth don't you? You had plenty of time when you first got here, right??" and I began walking towards them, but they began to back away.

They eventually scrambled backwards into their car, slammed the doors, and took off.

"See you again some time? I can explain more if you'd like!" I happily yelled after them. Maybe I shoulda offered each of them (including the girl? Certainly the teen...) a strong whiskey?

I'm pretty sure I saw one of them writing something down in their little black diary book. Wonder what it was....
That's hilarious.
The little black book? Funny thing about JWs - most of them only have part time jobs, because they must put in a certain amount of hours proselytizing. They actually mark these hours, and the area they are working in and must hand them in. You probably won't get a visit again from any JWs heh heh! It's probably a mark that says "Don't come to this house again..."

They no longer come to my house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality