Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:15 PM

38 posts, read 68,261 times

Advertisements

I'm not suggesting such a thing - but, I can't help but wonder...

The human mind has a tendency to be spiritual or religious- would those feelings be transferred to things like worshiping brands, etc...?

Would morals and ethics change or would people gradually, over generations of forgotten religion practices, become hedonists?

would crime rates increase or decrease?

How would it effect empathy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
It is a very hypothetical thought as any legislation would not deter any worship, just keep it invisible. Most religions tend to grow when persecuted or outlawed.

For example, Christianity would probably have died in it's first century if the Romans had not tried to stamp it out. If it had not been for the crusades Islam would probably have remained on the Arabian Peninsula. Adversity and legislation often results in growth.

If somehow Religion were eliminated and all traces of it removed, control would be in the hands of the most ruthless. We have very few examples to compare with, but it seems in modern times the nations that have come closest to eliminating religion have been, Communist Russia, North Korea, China and Nazi Germany. Lack of religion would probably result in a world similar to them.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM

38 posts, read 68,261 times
Oh it's VERY hypothetical- and I'm NOT suggesting it would be a good thing. Taking away someone's freedom to believe or be spiritual would be awful, and you are suggesting the kind of government that would put that kind of force on a society would be one similar to Nazi Germany, etc...which would be correct.

but..China has both religious freedom but can be pretty religious, can't they? And North Korea in their own way, although I do think they believe their prophet is still alive (their leader) right? So why would you categorize them there?

I am wondering why you think that power would be in the hands of the most ruthless...You are suggesting it would make people void of morals? Or are you suggesting that humans that lack religion are much easier to manipulate?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
Oh it's VERY hypothetical- and I'm NOT suggesting it would be a good thing. Taking away someone's freedom to believe or be spiritual would be awful, and you are suggesting the kind of government that would put that kind of force on a society would be one similar to Nazi Germany, etc...which would be correct.

but..China has both religious freedom but can be pretty religious, can't they? And North Korea in their own way, although I do think they believe their prophet is still alive (their leader) right? So why would you categorize them there?

I am wondering why you think that power would be in the hands of the most ruthless...You are suggesting it would make people void of morals? Or are you suggesting that humans that lack religion are much easier to manipulate?
The legal religion of China is atheism. Religious practices are highly limited. In China Judaism, Islam and Christianity are the most restricted. Buddhism, Shintoism and Taoism are tolerated but more as a philosophy than as a religion.

Quote:
The People's Republic of China was established October 1, 1949. Its government is officially atheist, having viewed religion as emblematic of feudalism and foreign colonialism, and maintained separation of state and the church. This changed during the Cultural Revolution, in 1966 and 1967. The Cultural Revolution led to a policy of elimination of religions; a massive number of places of worship were destroyed
SOURCE

You are correct about North Korea. My memory is out dated. Last I remembered They were the last hold out for Russian style communism. but, now:

Quote:
"Religious freedom is not allowed in North Korea because it will ruin the deification of Kim Il Sung."

"Having faith in God is an act of espionage. Only Kim Il Sung is a god in North Korea."

"Juche itself is a religion, therefore they worry that people may forsake Juche for another religion."
SOURCE

The reason I think Power would go to the hands of the most ruthless is because people seem to respond most to threats. The progression of governments seem to be to slide towards Dictatorships or Monarchys unless there is a strong non-Government influence within the nation. Without an organized belief system people tend to become apathetic followers of national politics.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Making it illegal would only fuel the fanaticism and extremists.

Education will be the force that will cause religion to become a non-issue in society

Old 09-25-2011, 03:47 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Making it illegal would only fuel the fanaticism and extremists.

Education will be the force that will cause religion to become a non-issue in society

There are many things science can't answer, even Mr. Hawking admits this.

He says even though he doesn't believe in a "God", he says there is nothing to show or prove there isn't or can't be one.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:47 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Religion shouldn't be made illegal, there's no question about it.

But it also shouldn't be exempted from the societal norm that causes all other loony ideas to be mocked and their adherents to be shunned.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
There are many things science can't answer, even Mr. Hawking admits this.

He says even though he doesn't believe in a "God", he says there is nothing to show or prove there isn't or can't be one.
Of course there are many things science cannot answer, but that is not any reason to believe that there is a god.

Science has discovered a lot of stuff that was formerly attributed to god, and I have no doubt that will continue in spite of the people that prefer the god dunit answers.

Religion does not need to be outlawed, because eventually much of it will die off naturally.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:42 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
I agree that Communist USSR probably gives us our best glimpse, as it did make religion illegal.

Any government oppressive enough to make religion illegal, would obviously be oppressive.

Many European nations in the Middle Ages made all religions except the state religion illegal. Again, very oppressive.

And I say all of this as an atheist who believes strongly in the first amendment.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
I'm not suggesting such a thing - but, I can't help but wonder...

The human mind has a tendency to be spiritual or religious- would those feelings be transferred to things like worshiping brands, etc...?

Would morals and ethics change or would people gradually, over generations of forgotten religion practices, become hedonists?

would crime rates increase or decrease?

How would it effect empathy?
Just look at any one of dozens of cultures/times where it happened. Maybe North Korea would be a great example of what kind of place you'd get.

Anyway, religion wouldn't vanish, it would go underground. Then the hate and persecution could start.

We had the right idea here in the USA.... Freedom of religion but distinct separation of church and state. That is as perfect a system as you can get in a imperfect world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality