Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,787 times

Advertisements

I spoke to a few atheists and they believed that religion caused much of the evil in the world. Heres my thought.

Some people believe that religion is the cause for most of the evil in this world. But do you really believe a person would not commit evil deeds if they did claim it was for their religion? A man will always be a man and if that person has it in his heart to commit evil deeds, they will commit them regardless. The shape and form may be different but the deed will still be committed. Do you really believe the ruthless Kings and Queens of the past that began their wars, conquests and invasions would have done any less if no one in their kingdom believed in God? If a man chooses not to believe in God that is their choice. But that person in one way or the other is following a religion, whether they are worshipping God or themselves. Narcissism can be a form of religion also if it develops past a certain point. A man will believe in something because that is in our nature. Not everything can be explained by science. What do you call those? Some things cannot be seen, touched or even proven to actually exist. All we know is that someone at some point wrote it in a book based on a theory they came up with and now we are all taught this theory in school. And what will happen later? Someone else will come along and prove him wrong. How is that different from religion? We choose to believe because that is our choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM

278 posts, read 357,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
I spoke to a few atheists and they believed that religion caused much of the evil in the world. Heres my thought.

Some people believe that religion is the cause for most of the evil in this world. But do you really believe a person would not commit evil deeds if they did claim it was for their religion? A man will always be a man and if that person has it in his heart to commit evil deeds, they will commit them regardless. The shape and form may be different but the deed will still be committed. Do you really believe the ruthless Kings and Queens of the past that began their wars, conquests and invasions would have done any less if no one in their kingdom believed in God? If a man chooses not to believe in God that is their choice. But that person in one way or the other is following a religion, whether they are worshipping God or themselves. Narcissism can be a form of religion also if it develops past a certain point. A man will believe in something because that is in our nature. Not everything can be explained by science. What do you call those? Some things cannot be seen, touched or even proven to actually exist. All we know is that someone at some point wrote it in a book based on a theory they came up with and now we are all taught this theory in school. And what will happen later? Someone else will come along and prove him wrong. How is that different from religion? We choose to believe because that is our choice.
People will often use religion to get people to do things they would not have otherwise done.

See the verse below:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
People will often use religion to get people to do things they would not have otherwise done.

See the verse below:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)
If a persuasive man wanted another man to kill someone, they would use whatever tools were available to them. If both men had no religion the man could still be persuaded to kill. The persuasive man would simply use another method. The point is, if someone can convince you to kill because of your religion, they can convince to kill because of anything. Just because many evil deeds have been done in the name of religion, doesn't mean the religion is the cause of the deed. If I stab someone with a butter knife, it doesn't make the knife evil. It's purpose will always be to butter bread. If there was no knife then a fork would suffice.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
If a persuasive man wanted another man to kill someone, they would use whatever tools were available to them. If both men had no religion the man could still be persuaded to kill. The persuasive man would simply use another method. The point is, if someone can convince you to kill because of your religion, they can convince to kill because of anything.

In fact perfectly good people will kill if they think that is what God wants. An example is Abraham.

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil -- that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Quote:
Just because many evil deeds have been done in the name of religion, doesn't mean the religion is the cause of the deed. If I stab someone with a butter knife, it doesn't make the knife evil. It's purpose will always be to butter bread. If there was no knife then a fork would suffice.
That is a bad analogy. In the case of the knife, the criminal causes the knife to cause the death of the victim, so the criminal did cause this to happen so is still guilty. The knife does not have a mind and so cannot be called evil for the stabbing, it was controlled.

In the cause of religion, because of a certain religious belief or a command from a religious figure, people were made to kill. This would have been

But if that person was not religious, it would be a lot harder to do that persuasion especially if that non-religious person is a good person. However a religious authority figure can persuade good people to do evil things in the name of religion, simply by appealing to that person's blind faith.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
In fact perfectly good people will kill if they think that is what God wants. An example is Abraham.

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil -- that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg
This is what I mean. Religion is very powerful. It can be used to create as well as destroy. What we remember are the atrocities used in the name of religion. Many have fallen victim to its misuse but that does not make it evil.

Quote:
That is a bad analogy. In the case of the knife, the criminal causes the knife to cause the death of the victim, so the criminal did cause this to happen so is still guilty. The knife does not have a mind and so cannot be called evil for the stabbing, it was controlled.

In the cause of religion, because of a certain religious belief or a command from a religious figure, people were made to kill. This would have been

But if that person was not religious, it would be a lot harder to do that persuasion especially if that non-religious person is a good person. However a religious authority figure can persuade good people to do evil things in the name of religion, simply by appealing to that person's blind faith.
This is what I mean. In my example, religion is the tool and the persuasive man is the killer. The problem is that he preys on the ignorant, which is not everyone who follows religion. Yes there are some who follow religion blindly and in an ignorant manner, but that does not define everyone.

As you said it, it would have been harder without religion but it still would've occurred. Heres an example. Do you believe every German soldier in Hitler's army was evil. Do you believe some didn't have sons and daughters and loved ones whom they would die for? Yet they still committed such atrocities for different reasons. Whether it be fear, persuasion or religion. Ignorance is a human trait and can be found in anyone whether they believe in religion or not.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,291 times
One upon a time invaders thanked God for smallpox nearly wiping out the natives. Clearly it was a sign that God was on their side. Perhaps they even fancied themselves God's chosen ones? Wasn't God wonderful? I mean, how He indiscriminately murdered millions, while "His people" enslaved, raped and pillaged what was left of the land and its people. It's not like that was the first time such a thing had happened.

When someone plans on exploiting another group of people, it's usually best to convince themselves that those people are savages, idiots, devil worshipers, ect. Anything that presents them in a subhuman light. It's good for the conscious, apparently. God and religion have been perfect tools for such things, and to try and pretend otherwise is just apologetic hogwash.

I'll freely admit the world would still be in a mess if no religion existed. That being the case, it doesn't let religion off the hook for the many bad things done in its name.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
One upon a time invaders thanked God for smallpox nearly wiping out the natives. Clearly it was a sign that God was on their side. Perhaps they even fancied themselves God's chosen ones? Wasn't God wonderful? I mean, how He indiscriminately murdered millions, while "His people" enslaved, raped and pillaged what was left of the land and its people. It's not like that was the first time such a thing had happened.

When someone plans on exploiting another group of people, it's usually best to convince themselves that those people are savages, idiots, devil worshipers, ect. Anything that presents them in a subhuman light. It's good for the conscious, apparently. God and religion have been perfect tools for such things, and to try and pretend otherwise is just apologetic hogwash.

I'll freely admit the world would still be in a mess if no religion existed. That being the case, it doesn't let religion off the hook for the many bad things done in its name.
Umm I agree. Although I already said religion has been used as a tool. I didn't say otherwise.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
This is what I mean. Religion is very powerful. It can be used to create as well as destroy. What we remember are the atrocities used in the name of religion. Many have fallen victim to its misuse but that does not make it evil.
Of course religion can be used for good very effectively. I think the fundamental problem with religion is that it encourages blind faith too much and too little critical thinking. It also makes claims for which there is no evidence. In my opinion delusional views of reality and weak critical thinking while possibly able to make people happy also has an ugly side. This is something that a rational advanced civilization should grow out of.

Quote:
This is what I mean. In my example, religion is the tool and the persuasive man is the killer. The problem is that he preys on the ignorant, which is not everyone who follows religion. Yes there are some who follow religion blindly and in an ignorant manner, but that does not define everyone.
The tenets of most religions includes faith based on little or no evidence, and most theists have only very weak reasons for their belief because their beliefs are based on faith. In fact I have met many of them in this very forum. Religion more often than not encourages ignorance by promoting faith and making extraordinary claims with little or no evidence.

Quote:
As you said it, it would have been harder without religion but it still would've occurred. Heres an example. Do you believe every German soldier in Hitler's army was evil. Do you believe some didn't have sons and daughters and loved ones whom they would die for? Yet they still committed such atrocities for different reasons. Whether it be fear, persuasion or religion. Ignorance is a human trait and can be found in anyone whether they believe in religion or not.
I am certainly not saying that religion is the only source of evil however it can be a big one, especially before the modern age.

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM

322 posts, read 317,004 times
People are the reason there is evil in the world.. religion with people will not harm anyone.

if there wasnt religion we will fight over somthing else, we will use some other means to gain power over someone/somthing..
WE the people need to change

YOU and ME

once we continue to point our dirty fingers at others we will never solve the problems of the world
we are all part of the problem and therefore need to all be part of the solution

Old 03-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Of course religion can be used for good very effectively. I think the fundamental problem with religion is that it encourages blind faith too much and too little critical thinking. It also makes claims for which there is no evidence. In my opinion delusional views of reality and weak critical thinking while possibly able to make people happy also has an ugly side. This is something that a rational advanced civilization should grow out of.

The tenets of most religions includes faith based on little or no evidence, and most theists have only very weak reasons for their belief because their beliefs are based on faith. In fact I have met many of them in this very forum. Religion more often than not encourages ignorance by promoting faith and making extraordinary claims with little or no evidence.

I am certainly not saying that religion is the only source of evil however it can be a big one, especially before the modern age.

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
You dont have to believe in religion blindly to believe. And you can certainly think
critically and still believe in religion. Albert Einstein believed there was a God. He recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. He believed that religion was necessary but could also lead to blind actions.

You see religion is not the source of evil simply because it is used as a tool by some men. People who are selfish, narcissistic or simply believe they know everything and everyone elses beliefs are ignorance have a bigger hand in the evil in our world. The people who use religion may not even believe in it. They may simply be persuasive people who prey on faith. Although non of this can be proven or dis-proven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality