Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

This is my first post in this forum. Please be gentle

I've been a believer all of my life, and by the way, let me make it clear that although I believe in God and Jesus, I do not support organized religion!

This is my story of how God spoke to me...

When my children were young (5 and 8, I think), they lived with their dad 450 miles away. I saw them three times a year. Long story! We were at the hotel together, and they were being complete brats, to the point where we were almost kicked out! I was so stressed out that I had a moment of wanting to kill myself. (Not really, but that's how high my frustration level was at that second in time.)

To try to calm all of us down, I opened the bible to some random page - or so I thought. What was the first thing I read? "Dead men have no joy." ???!!! Okay, message received! That was one of the most bizarre things I've ever experienced.

Now all the atheists can pile on top of me until I can't breathe! I don't believe it was a coincidence, so please don't try to convince me!

Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:17 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I had a similiar experience , Sandy..several years ago I went through a really tough time with my religion, because I was being swayed by well meaning h and his family to believe as they do and to think as they did ... Long story short..I had been secretly reading the bible, other books about it and some history. I was getting spiritually stronger as time went on, but kept it to my self and reluctantly did as was pleasing to everyone else. Six years ago my grandson was in a terrible accident, clung to life, a quadraplegic on a respirator..The second week he came out of his coma in the ICU, he couldn't speak for the trach tube in his throat. It was Sunday morning, A minister was in the hallway. He saw me and my daughter at the bedside, and entered the room. I spoke up and asked if he would give me communion. He offered up a prayer..My grandson was desperately moving his eyes at me..I asked if he wanted communion. I put a straw in the communion cup., closed the end with a finger to capture a few drops while my daughter put a tiny crumb of the wafer on his tongue...A feeling of such joy and peace came over me as Michael took communion, with tears running down his cheeks, like nothing else and I knew that God wanted me to worship and praise hiim as I had done in secret for so many years. I also knew that Michael would live and the Lord had a reason for him to live..That is another thread. Michael is a quadraplegic now because of the accident. He is in college studying tp be a psychologist

Old 08-20-2007, 10:38 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,823 times
We're not lying in the bushes waiting to attack, Sandy.

If you need something like that to get through something tough, so be it. Just don't forget the story of Dumbo.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I just added to your rep, PhillyChief. That was pretty funny.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,823 times
Thanks, that makes up for the warning I got from another moderator, which, btw, was delivered with scripture to I guess rub salt in the wound. And they wonder why we're so negative. LOL

Old 08-21-2007, 06:27 AM

122 posts, read 385,289 times
The existance of a Divine Creator is evident to me. Especially during the spring time, or while looking at the stars at night.

Some can't see it's existance, but I'm sure they'll be ok.

Glad things worked out for you during tough times Sandy.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:13 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
This is my first post in this forum. Please be gentle

I've been a believer all of my life, and by the way, let me make it clear that although I believe in God and Jesus, I do not support organized religion!

This is my story of how God spoke to me...

When my children were young (5 and 8, I think), they lived with their dad 450 miles away. I saw them three times a year. Long story! We were at the hotel together, and they were being complete brats, to the point where we were almost kicked out! I was so stressed out that I had a moment of wanting to kill myself. (Not really, but that's how high my frustration level was at that second in time.)

To try to calm all of us down, I opened the bible to some random page - or so I thought. What was the first thing I read? "Dead men have no joy." ???!!! Okay, message received! That was one of the most bizarre things I've ever experienced.

Now all the atheists can pile on top of me until I can't breathe! I don't believe it was a coincidence, so please don't try to convince me!

Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Yes. I'm not sure if I want to relay the whole story but I agree wholeheartedly and yes, I have had something very simular happen.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:57 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Default The Lord's intervention

While I don't recommend routinely getting guidance by opening the Bible at random, I certainly do think God can meet us that way ... especially in an hour of real personal desperation and need! I think often God uses a particular scripture to speak to us directly and personally.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
There's a name for this technique, and I forgot what it was, but I understand that it is generally looked down upon because it is seen as causing you to take a verse and make it mean what you want it to mean. However, God may speak to different people in different ways to get their attention, so this may have worked for you.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:02 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Default can be deceptive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
There's a name for this technique, and I forgot what it was, but I understand that it is forbidden in some religious circles. However, God may speak to different people in different ways to get their attention, so this may have worked for you.
As I posted above, I think it can be deceptive to just open a bible at random and act on the first verse you see or assume that it is a message from God... without including other "checks and balances" such as the whole counsel of God. But I think God does speak a "rhema" living word to us many times through the scriptures and I think this is what happened to Sandy.
(Obviously, we would also not take a verse "out of context" like this to interpret scripture.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality