Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM

208 posts, read 476,396 times

Advertisements

Please explain this new in thing of people using yahweh,yahshua,yeshua to refer to god or jesus? I know what it the names mean, but if you want to use the real names why not just post the religious threads all in hebrew or whatever?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullenite View Post
I know what it the names mean, but if you want to use the real names why not just post the religious threads all in hebrew or whatever?
Zeh TOV meod! Lamah l'ktov b'anglit? IVRIT HAYOM, IVRIT MACHAR!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM

330 posts, read 599,276 times
Quote:
Please explain this new in thing of people using yahweh,yahshua,yeshua to refer to god or jesus? I know what it the names mean, but if you want to use the real names why not just post the religious threads all in hebrew or whatever?
Generally when christians say "yeshua" it MEANS the EXACT same person, thing, idea as "Jesus". This is done only because the name sounds more jewish so they can get religiously ignorant jews to belive in jesus, be "saved" and then become jewish. We Jewish have caught on to that game.

Yahweh is a christian term for "God".

Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
I tend to use it to emphasize that he was but a Jewish teacher and not divine (assuming he actually existed that is). Obviously, I am not a christian.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
. We Jewish have caught on to that game.

Atah Yehudi? Lama atah lo ktov b'ivrit? Ivrit, zeh ha sefa shel Yehudim. Ata, v l'olam. B'israel, v gam be ha galut.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yahweh is a christian term for "God".
actually Yahweh is an attempt to pronounce the Yod-hay-vov-hey name of G-d, using the best evidence available. For example the Yod-hay portions of the name yashiah (isaiah) and yeremiah (jeremiah) are pronounced Yah, so it stands to reason the first syllable of the Yod-hay-vov-hay was too.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Generally when christians say "yeshua" it MEANS the EXACT same person, thing, idea as "Jesus".
When Jews say yeshua, it usually means its saturday night, and time to get the spice box ready.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
There are many movements talking about this now. Yahushua/Yahwshwua/Yeshus/Jesus Ha Machiach/Messiah/Christ. In the end all that matters is that you know him by repenting of your transgressions and trusting in him. It's the simplicity in Christ the religious establishment doesn't want you to hear. As long as it's clear he knows who you are praying to (scriptures testify of him), it's all that matters. Jesus isn't going to judge us upon how well we know hebrew or greek. He's going to judge us upon our allegiance to what he said in the scriptures.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:22 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
I think a better question is why and how did the names get changed to English words? There were no corresponding names in English. The English names have no historical basis and seem to have a bit of deceit behind them as they hide the actual identity of who is being spoken of and given English definitions.

Look up the origin of the word god and trace it back to it's Indo root, see if it is an appropriate name for our Creator. Look at the origin of the name Jesus(as), How on earth could the name

Yeshua ( also pronounced Isa. Eesa) become Jesus?

The English language has changed the bible into something with little resemblance to what

taught. I suspect most Christians follow Jesus and have no idea as to who Yeshua(as) is.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Yeshua ( also pronounced Isa. Eesa) become Jesus?
Because Yeshua was his name, and after the War with Rome, his surviving disciples wound up establishing a colony in Greece. "Jesus" is "Yeshua" run through the Greek language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality