Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,122,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
You don't have to go very far to find living dinosaures today, there's the alligators, crocodiles, caymans and gharials, these all belong to the family Crocodylidae, which have been around for about 80 million years in there present form. I'd say they have to be classified as "dinosaurs" which means "Terrible Lizard" if you have ever ran into one of these animals you'd most likely see just how terrible they are.
So did dinosaurs exist, I'd have to say with a big bold YES and they still exist today.
Aren't birds also the descendants of dinosaurs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Yes, however bird have changed in the last 80 million years into the various species we see today. The Crocodylidae family has been almost unchanged in the last 80 million years, what you see today is basically how they looked as dinosaurs.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:24 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahhen1 View Post
is it a cold hard fact, or simply a myth. Provable fact? Do we know for fact that they existed. If so...what are implications, please?
Before making such foolish inquires, I would suggest exploring places like Museums of Natural History.
Your can start right here: AMNH Dinosaurs iPad App | American Museum of Natural History (http://www.amnh.org/apps/dino_ipad.php - broken link)

Old 10-15-2011, 11:57 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Default Sqrawk... sqrawk!

Quote:
You don't have to go very far to find living dinosaures today, there's the alligators, crocodiles, caymans and gharials, these all belong to the family Crocodylidae, which have been around for about 80 million years in there present form. I'd say they have to be classified as "dinosaurs" which means "Terrible Lizard" if you have ever ran into one of these animals you'd most likely see just how terrible they are.
So did dinosaurs exist, I'd have to say with a big bold YES and they still exist today.
And, as Theophane then noted: remember the birdies, who yup, have changed quite a bit from a T-Rex, but not so much from other dinos of the, say, velociraptor and other families, especially when we dig down into avian (compared to reptilian) DNA, as well as their morphological & structural basics.

When I see a Great Blue Heron land and take off of my property's pond, I'm readily reminded of a pterodactyl. They even sorta sqrawk like a Ptero, as my genetic memory reminds....

Of course, the intellectual implications of all this must be truly fearful to a devout and literal Christian....

BTW, my direct question to the OP's author, sahhen, is this: Do you for a moment think that dinosaurs did not exist? Ever?

Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe birds are descended from dinos....Check out the feet of a swan...Other than the webbing and size they match dino prints etched in stone that we see today...

Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
You should find that old "science teacher" of yours and have at him with an aluminum baseball bat. You'll feel much better.
Or a fossilized femur of some made-up saurian heh heh!

I hear whiffle bats are more satisfying than normal bats - you can have at them much longer.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:33 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,122,068 times
Quote:
Yes, however bird have changed in the last 80 million years into the various species we see today. The Crocodylidae family has been almost unchanged in the last 80 million years, what you see today is basically how they looked as dinosaurs.
Cool.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ok I admit it. I belong to a secret society that has been forging and planting dinosaur bones around the globe for the past century and half. We've also been squishing Trilobites wherever they are found so people will think they are extinct.

It won't be long before They send a hit man to finish me off for disclosing this awful truth, but I thought Y'all should know. Also, Elvis is alive and well in Duluth, Minnesota.
I have a coop full of Dodo birds in the backyard, but let the rest of the world think they're extinct. When the time is right I'm going to reveal my private horde of these stupid flightless birds (they cost a fortune to feed!) and I'm going to make millions, I tell you!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:06 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The gods sat around for months creating all the bones, making molds, casting them, making them look millions of years old, then spent many more months traveling the world burying them. They are such jokers.
Hey I thought that was the devil that did all that to fool mankind

Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,989,890 times
Quote:
You don't have to go very far to find living dinosaures today, there's the alligators, crocodiles, caymans and gharials, these all belong to the family Crocodylidae, which have been around for about 80 million years in there present form. I'd say they have to be classified as "dinosaurs" which means "Terrible Lizard" if you have ever ran into one of these animals you'd most likely see just how terrible they are. So did dinosaurs exist, I'd have to say with a big bold YES and they still exist today.
Not quite.

All dinosaurs are, by definition, members of the superorder Dinosauria. The species you mentioned are from a different superorder, Crocodylomorpha. But they were contemporaries of dinosaurs along with mammals and fish and other reptiles (dinosaurs and crocodiles are both reptiles, of course). Very closely related, but not dinosaurs.

Then there's the birds, as other posters have mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality