Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that:

(1) We have no contemporary evidence of his existence (no historical records, etc.)

(2) We have no eyewitness accounts of Jesus. We only have accounts of Jesus based on hearsay.

(3) The Gospels were written many years after Jesus' death. And the authorship of the Gospels is questionable.

So what evidence do we have that Jesus actually existed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
ell its the same with mnay ;the evidence is direct testimany in the bible. then we find other documants all the time that relate same.By your temrs I don't know George Washington reallty existed.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
ell its the same with mnay ;the evidence is direct testimany in the bible. then we find other documants all the time that relate same.By your temrs I don't know George Washington reallty existed.
What "direct testimony" is there in the New Testament?

We know George Washington existed because we have contemporaneous evidence of his existence. People wrote about his inauguration. Newspapers covered it. He wrote letters in his own hand (in which he identifies himself). We have absolutely nothing of the sort for Jesus Christ. Paul did not know him. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John did not know him. Roman and Jewish records make no reference to him, even though he was supposedly tried before Pontius Pilate. We have no other accounts corroborating the factual details of the Gospels (earthquakes, etc.). We don't even have historical evidence that the city of Nazareth existed during the time of Christ.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
When I started to question my faith, I realized that Christianity makes truth claims, and that it should be pretty easy to look into those claims. And that -- the facts in your OP -- is why I'm no longer a believer.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
When I started to question my faith, I realized that Christianity makes truth claims, and that it should be pretty easy to look into those claims. And that -- the facts in your OP -- is why I'm no longer a believer.
Well, I don't think you have to take a literal interpretation of biblical events to be a "believer." I wasn't deflated when I discovered that Chicken Little and the Boy That Cried Wolf never existed (or did they?). The historical basis of the stories is completely immaterial to their moral and educational value. I look at the Bible in pretty much the same way.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, I don't think you have to take a literal interpretation of biblical events to be a "believer." I wasn't deflated when I discovered that Chicken Little and the Boy That Cried Wolf never existed (or did they?). The historical basis of the stories is completely immaterial to their moral and educational value. I look at the Bible in pretty much the same way.
Sure, but if I'm just looking for a coherent moral philosophy I don't think the Bible is the best one (the most pro-social one) out there. I can appreciate it as literature without believing it, too. If you do believe that Jesus existed and was who the Bible said he was, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Sure, but if I'm just looking for a coherent moral philosophy I don't think the Bible is the best one (the most pro-social one) out there. I can appreciate it as literature without believing it, too. If you do believe that Jesus existed and was who the Bible said he was, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.
Yeah, the typical response I get from people is, "That's where faith comes in...you have to believe in the absence of evidence" or something along those lines. If that's the case, why Jesus? Why not Vishnu the Destroyer? Or Hercules? Or the Dogon gods? We have about as much evidence that Hercules as existed as we have for Jesus.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, the typical response I get from people is, "That's where faith comes in...you have to believe in the absence of evidence" or something along those lines. If that's the case, why Jesus? Why not Vishnu the Destroyer? Or Hercules? Or the Dogon gods? We have about as much evidence that Hercules as existed as we have for Jesus.
I've been told that too, and I agree.

So for me, there are four categories of things you find in the Bible:

1.) Prophecies/predictions;
2.) Moral instruction;
3.) Historical summaries of things that aren't crucial to the message of Christianity; and
4.) Historical summaries of things that are crucial to the message of Christianity.

I can see setting aside #1, because you don't know how or when those things will come true, or if they're metaphor or what-have-you. #2 isn't really a "true" or "false" thing. And I can see setting aside #3; that's what some (most?) liberal & mainstream Christians do. You don't have to believe that David slayed Goliath or that there was a ginormous flood that destroyed mankind (except for, somehow, the parts of the world from which we have written records dating back that far) or that Jesus fed a massive crowd with five loaves and two fishes to be Christian.

But I don't see how you can set aside #4 and still be Christian. If you don't believe that mankind was created in some way, then how can you have original sin, and what's the point of the Resurrection? If you don't believe that the literal, actual Jesus was raised up on the third day after his execution and that he was taking the sins of mankind upon himself at the Father's behest, then what does it mean to be Christian? If it's a metaphor in some way -- if it didn't actually happen, or if Jesus appeared to the apostles as some sort of spirit apparition or a folie a deux, then what makes Christianity special?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM

I have a religious friend who once told me, "If Jesus didn't actually exist, then I should just go ahead and do what I want. What's the point if there is no Heaven?"

If you think think that way, then you don't have "faith." That's like a kid saying, "Man, you mean all this studying is not going to get me a Ferrari, 10 supermodels, and a mansion in Malibu. It's pointless!"

Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 AM

42 posts, read 46,778 times
As christians our only evidence about God, Jesus and everything else is the bible. It by faith that we do believe in God. Everything around us like the nature testify that God, Jesus and bible are true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality