Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM

272 posts, read 208,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
My suspicion is that he does cover up all background signs, and is therefore not doing anything particularly different in churches. My memory is that any president speaks with a blue background, a podium, and the seal of the US on the podium. This rarely changes.

The POTUS is not like a football player with gatoraid logos behind him, or a hollywood starlet posing in front of a banner supplied by a magazine company.

Edited to add. Apparently the covering up of whatever background is standard procedure.

got any pics of him covering up other religious symbols? I'd like to see them please. if not. my point is proven.

yeah, so why not the blue background and seal anymore? why does it have to be churches? who is he trying to send a message to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
But what is he covering up when he speaks in other locations? If the standard policy is to cover up the background, as I suspect that it is, then neutrality is observed.

You seem to be needlessly looking to be offended.
Are you feeling trapped in a debate you can't win? seems like it.

and you know dern well we're talking about RELIGIOUS SYMBOLS , not a picture of Babe Ruth in the background.

grow up people.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Who cares? Some people go to church and some don't. It means nothing. Obviously, your posts are generating Controversy. You should have post in Politics and Other Controversies instead of Religion and Philosophy.

The President generally speaks without any logo or symbol in the picture unless it is the White House picture in the Press Room. It probably means we're supposed to focus on him instead of his surroundings.
If it meant nothing, why do it? Why not do the speech in a Alley, if it means nothing.

In Plain Sight.

Quote:
You're just trying to make it controversial when it isn't.
Actually, Obama made it controversial when he did it. I'm just pointing it out.

What other President you know of that has done that? I'll give you a week to respond. you'll need it.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
He didn't. Of course, if you accept that then you'll complain that he's ignoring religion and isn't a Christian. Some people will make up any excuse to rationalize their hatred of the man.
he did. did you see the pictures?

and in all honesty, I think Obama hates himself and it's projected onto the nation with his decisions.

I mean let's be honest, his dad was a deadbeat and his mother left him in various places to grow up alone. I'd say he has an ax to grind and a penchant for stirring the pot.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
If it meant nothing, why do it? Why not do the speech in a Alley, if it means nothing.

In Plain Sight.

Actually, Obama made it controversial when he did it. I'm just pointing it out.

What other President you know of that has done that? I'll give you a week to respond. you'll need it.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Here's the truth from Fact Check:

FactCheck.org : Obama at Georgetown

Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
He's in a church. so he should respect the building he's in. it's a house of worship. by him grandstanding and covering up sacred symbols that are precious to those who attend there, then he should respect that. and go find a dive bar to post up in and do his empty speeches.
Nonsense. He is not speaking as part of the church, he is speaking as POTUS. The role he is in as NOT a religious role, as we are not a theocracy.

He is not grandstanding. He is the POTUS, and has some important things to say. Part of the job.

I was right, you are trying to be offended, and your dislike of this particular president is obvious. As peppermint says, I wonder if you would have an issue with any other president doing the same thing.

Quote:
Now you explain to me how is it "neutral" by him covering up the cross and not other symbols?
But he does cover up other symbols. Always.

Quote:
but ironically, you only see him in churches in print. interesting.
Lets look at the truth of your statement. Here is a link from the White House.

Poke around a bit. I see photos from an airport. A lot with the background covered completely up. Some that look like they might be at a fairground or convention center. Nothing that looks obviously like a church. So your statement seems completely false, as you seem to imply that he speaks from churches for the express reason that he likes to cover up religious symbols.

In actual fact, he speaks from a variety of locations, and always covers up the background.

Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned sO convention centers are not set up for meetings and speeches?..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
So because I was not encyclopedic in my listing of possible venues you think that you have scored a point? Really? I was not trying to be, I was simply pointing out that churches were, by nature of their design, natural choices to consider when choosing a venue.

But lets do the math thing again. 450,000 churches in the country. Again, some google fu shows 1477 convention centers.

If this were proportional, the president would have to give about 350 speeches at church locations before hitting the first convention center.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-20-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 10:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
got any pics of him covering up other religious symbols? I'd like to see them please. if not. my point is proven.

yeah, so why not the blue background and seal anymore? why does it have to be churches? who is he trying to send a message to?
Really? You want pictures of him covering things up?

What would be the point of covering it up then? Seems like his setup crew would be doing a pretty poor job.

Why don't you show me pictures of Obama covering up pictures of cereal logos? If you can't, it proves my point that Obama is prejudiced against grain.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Because he is the President of the United States, and represents every American, regardless of their religion or lack of.............

Moderator cut: deleted: rude

Last edited by june 7th; 10-20-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Here's the truth from Fact Check:

FactCheck.org : Obama at Georgetown
Ok. your point is? or where you just proving mine again?

Do you happen to have a link of him doing a speech in a Mosque? or covering up a menora?

that's my point. Plain Sight.

Bumper Sticker Christians be damned.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Because he is the President of the United States, and represents every American, regardless of their religion or lack of......
Well in that case ALL of his speeches need to take place in an Alley. that's neutral ground. . a church is not neutral ground.

do you understand yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality