Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder about the original poster's grasp of Christianity. I cannot speak for all sects and doctrines within the umbrella of the religion, but I certainly am familiar with general protestant doctrine. Nowhere in scripture does it make salvation conditional on public displays of piety of any form. Obama's salvation or lack thereof is a matter solely between him and God, according to most protestant interpretations. No action or inaction on his part is a reliable indicator of his spiritual condition, as salvation is by grace alone.

I assume a Catholic interpretation might be slightly different, as salvation involves sacraments and the priesthood in some capacity. This might also apply to a Coptic or Orthodox interpretation. Regardless, I doubt that any of these doctrines would interpret covering over a Christian symbol in the architecture of a speaking venue for a press conference as being evidence of damnation.

Even if it could be conclusively proven that Obama systematically covered over all Christian symbols every where he went (which is not the case), it would prove absolutely nothing about his spiritual condition, according to most Christian doctrine. In fact, some sects of Christianity would encourage this, as they view crosses and other religious symbols as idols (in the same way some sects of Islam forbid any image of Mohammed as an idol).

The OP's interpretation of this says much more about the OP that it does about Obama. The OP simply does not want Obama to be a Christian, because he will not accept him as a brother in Christ. He cannot face up to the simple truth that he is a bigot who desperately wants to be able to vilify the man because he is the wrong skin color, the wrong political party, and darn it, he has a funny name! If Christians wonder why so many of us Atheists do not have a lot of respect for your beliefs, look no further than the OP.

NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM

307 posts, read 269,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
Do you think this behavior of his would fly in a Muslim temple or Mosque? covering up a picture of Muhammed?
There are pictures of Muhammed in Muslim temples? You don't know much about Islam, do you?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Do you think this behavior of his would fly in a Muslim temple or Mosque? covering up a picture of Muhammed?

Not offended at all. just pointing out the hypocrit POTUS for you. can you see it?

got links?

You're confused. but I have to ask you, do you
See any photos of Muhammed covered up? see any photos of Krishna covered up? just asking.

So basically what you're saying is churches are the most convinient places to hang out and do his speeches so that's why you'll see more churches in his photos than other backgrounds.?

I get it.
Muslims worship in Mosques, or musjids, not temples. You would NEVER see a picture of Muhammad as drawing pictures of him is haram. NOT DONE!!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
The poster does not like Obama...... He uses Christianity to show that.

Some people don't like Obama because he is Black, so they bring in the Christian issue, citizenship issue and what ever other issue they have.

It is really sad because no matter what Obama does this sector of the population will find something to accuse him of...

Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The poster does not like Obama...... He uses Christianity to show that.

Some people don't like Obama because he is Black, so they bring in the Christian issue, citizenship issue and what ever other issue they have.

It is really sad because no matter what Obama does this sector of the population will find something to accuse him of...
The Evangelicals have set a set of standards for the rest of us that they can not even maintain amongst themselves.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
He's in a church. so he should respect the building he's in. it's a house of worship. by him grandstanding and covering up sacred symbols that are precious to those who attend there, then he should respect that. and go find a dive bar to post up in and do his empty speeches.

Now you explain to me how is it "neutral" by him covering up the cross and not other symbols?

but ironically, you only see him in churches in print. interesting.

Moderator cut: inappropriate sO convention centers are not set up for meetings and speeches?..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
you people...

why don't you tune in to ESPN and forget about the whole thing?
or Go outside and play with your friends some pigskin or something more meaningful and purposeful than what you are doing now.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:41 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Again so what if he does...Horror of horrors, what if he is a secret godless atheist?
What the hell does what he believes or doesn't believe have to do with his presidency?
I completely agree. I don't care if he worshiped some evil spirit that lived under Mount Rushmore. As long as he doesn't endorse it to everyone and keeps it in a private circle... I could care less.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:22 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
The OP was entire off base from the beginning. Reasons unknown and I'm not speculating. My opinion is that the Politics forum would have been a better venue because they OP would have found more support there. The truth:

The event in question (all 3 links point to the same event) took place at Georgetown University, not in a church.

The White House wanted a backdrop of flags to be clean and clear of other images.

The University appeared to have no problem meeting that request. (It looks like they had a ready made cover for the triangular section that was covered up.)

The speech had nothing to do with religion.

Islam forbids the creation of images of the prophet.

This event has absolutely nothing to do with religion. All this talk about Judaism or Islam are only coming from one source in this thread and have nothing to do with the incident that got this discussion started.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I guess we'll know when Ramadan comes back around. he usually goes on TV to wish Muslims a Happy Ramadan.
So what? Would you not wish your Muslim coworkers and neighbors a good Ramadan? Or your Jewish coworkers and neighbors a Happy New Year, a sweet and kosher Passover, or an easy fast at Yom Kippur?

And why does it take the president wishing Muslims a happy Ramadan to let you "know when Ramadan comes back around"? How would you not know that yourself?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
he did. did you see the pictures?
Sure, right here http://www.city-data.com/forum/21364945-post54.html. Oh wait, that post just proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

Please post references to occasions where Obama spoke in a church and covered up crosses. I'm familiar with something vaguely related to this, but not to the exact case you're talking about.

Quote:
and in all honesty, I think Obama hates himself and it's projected onto the nation with his decisions.

I mean let's be honest, his dad was a deadbeat and his mother left him in various places to grow up alone. I'd say he has an ax to grind and a penchant for stirring the pot.
Yeah, those uppity types should know their place instead of stirring the pot like they always do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality