Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,073,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
Ok. your point is? or where you just proving mine again?

Do you happen to have a link of him doing a speech in a Mosque? or covering up a menora?

that's my point. Plain Sight.

Bumper Sticker Christians be damned.
Moderator cut: deleted: rudeness

As I have already pointed out, churches vastly outnumber mosques and synagogues in this country.

Other symbols, of any type, are routinely covered up.

You have one incident that has been completely blown out of proportion by the haters inhabiting right wing radio. There is no controversy here other than in your own mind.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-20-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM

272 posts, read 208,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Nonsense. He is not speaking as part of the church, he is speaking as POTUS. The role he is in as NOT a religious role, as we are not a theocracy.

He is not grandstanding. He is the POTUS, and has some important things to say. Part of the job.
Do you think this behavior of his would fly in a Muslim temple or Mosque? covering up a picture of Muhammed?

Quote:
I was right, you are trying to be offended, and your dislike of this particular president is obvious. As peppermint says, I wonder if you would have an issue with any other president doing the same thing.
Not offended at all. just pointing out the hypocrit POTUS for you. can you see it?

Quote:
But he does cover up other symbols. Always.
got links?

Quote:
Lets look at the truth of your statement. Here is a link from the White House.

Poke around a bit. I see photos from an airport. A lot with the background covered completely up. Some that look like they might be at a fairground or convention center. Nothing that looks obviously like a church. So your statement seems completely false, as you seem to imply that he speaks from churches for the express reason that he likes to cover up religious symbols.

In actual fact, he speaks from a variety of locations, and always covers up the background.
You're confused. but I have to ask you, do you
See any photos of Muhammed covered up? see any photos of Krishna covered up? just asking.

Quote:
So because I was not encyclopedic in my listing of possible venues you think that you have scored a point? Really? I was not trying to be, I was simply pointing out that churches were, by nature of their design, natural choices to consider when choosing a venue.

But lets do the math thing again. 450,000 churches in the country. Again, some google fu shows 1477 convention centers.

If this were proportional, the president would have to give about 350 speeches at church locations before hitting the first convention center.
So basically what you're saying is churches are the most convinient places to hang out and do his speeches so that's why you'll see more churches in his photos than other backgrounds.?

I get it.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Your point is stupid.

As I have already pointed out, churches vastly outnumber mosques and synagogues in this country.

Other symbols, of any type, are routinely covered up.

You have one incident that has been completely blown out of proportion by the haters inhabiting right wing radio. There is no controversy here other than in your own mind.
How so? If he's covering up crosses then surely we can find somewhere where he's covering up Muhammed's picture and Menoras.

I mean if he's being consistent and all.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,678,786 times
Is there even a single person here who believes that President Obama makes sure that the crosses are covered up when he speaks in a church?

I sure don't.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=obama...:0&tx=42&ty=85

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=obama...4l5XaBA&zoom=1

Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Really? You want pictures of him covering things up?
religious symbols. sure why not. I would like to see the consistentcy.

Quote:
What would be the point of covering it up then? Seems like his setup crew would be doing a pretty poor job.

Why don't you show me pictures of Obama covering up pictures of cereal logos? If you can't, it proves my point that Obama is prejudiced against grain.
sure.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:23 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,138,075 times
Quote:
Covering up a cross when he speaks is completely appropriate for the POTUS. According to the constitution, the federal government should not endorse religion. If there is a prominent religious icon in the background when the president speaks, it is a tacit endorsement.

Any president should cover up a cross, or a menora, or any other religious symbol when speaking officially.

Nope:

Quote:
[SIZE=-1]Aitken's Bible Endorsed by Congress
The war with Britain cut off the supply of Bibles to the United States with the result that on Sept. 11, 1777, Congress instructed its Committee of Commerce to import 20,000 Bibles from "Scotland, Holland or elsewhere." On January 21, 1781, Philadelphia printer Robert Aitken (1734-1802) petitioned Congress to officially sanction a publication of the Old and New Testament which he was preparing at his own expense. Congress "highly approve the pious and laudable undertaking of Mr. Aitken, as subservient to the interest of religion . . . in this country, and . . . they recommend this edition of the bible to the inhabitants of the United States." This resolution was a result of Aitken's successful accomplishment of his project.[/SIZE]
Religion and the Congress of the Confederation, 1774-89 (Religion and the Founding of the American Republic, Library of Congress Exhibition)

Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Is there even a single person here who believes that President Obama makes sure that the crosses are covered up when he speaks in a church?

I sure don't.
Then you're not paying attention.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,073,461 times
Quote:
Then you're not paying attention.
Ok. You win. I am going to stop banging my head against the brick wall. It is blindingly obvious based upon Jackmcculloughs post that Obama hates christianity, and will go to any length to suppress it.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Ok. You win. I am going to stop banging my head against the brick wall. It is blindingly obvious based upon Jackmcculloughs post that Obama hates christianity, and will go to any length to suppress it.
You kept trying to stray off topic when I'm discussing RELIGIOUS SYMBOLS. you keep trying to put airports and Babe Ruth photos in the mix when that'snot my argument.

My question is why do it when he doesn't have to?

you can't answer that?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,202,013 times
Quote:
Is he really a Christian? my cousin in DC says he has yet to visit any of the many Christian churches in the area. if so you'd hear about it.

so I wonder....
Who cares, it's none of your business. I hope he's really an atheist who just lied to get into office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality