Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times

Advertisements

I work in radiology, and was preparing to take a chest x-ray of a 40 year old patient. He was wearing two neckchains, each had a large medal with a face, and I believe, an inscription.

As I was preparing him for his chest x-ray, I told him that he would need to remove his neckchains. He stated that if I made him take them off I would making him commit a mortal sin.

I explained that I would be unable to take his chest x-ray if he couldn't remove his neckchains. He said that he had never taken them off since he put them on at age 15, and it would be a mortal sin to remove them.

At this point I just said that he could speak with the doctor who ordered the x-ray if he wished. The patient then did remove the neckchains, and I proceeded with the x-rays. He reminded me once again that I had make him commit a mortal sin.

This made me curious, so I attempted to do some research to find out why this would be a mortal sin. I couldn't find anything, so I am asking what the reasoning might be on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:03 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,031 times
It sounds religious in nature but lacking more of a description of the medallions, that's all I can surmise.

The mortal sin aspect? That's a new one for me!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
I mentioned it to one of my coworkers, who actually performed the physical on the guy. She was raised catholic, and said they were Saint medals of some kind but she was unsure which saints. She said she was unaware of any scriptural basis for the idea that taking off a saint necklace was a mortal sin.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 AM

I was raised Catholic but never heard that either. Perhaps he's fulfilling a promise to his patron saint. Ya just never know!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I was raised Catholic but never heard that either. Perhaps he's fulfilling a promise to his patron saint. Ya just never know!
That is the most probable reason. I assume for some reason he made a promise to never take the medals off if a prayer was answered. His prayer was answered and now he feels he would be breaking his promise if he took them off.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
That is the most probable reason. I assume for some reason he made a promise to never take the medals off if a prayer was answered. His prayer was answered and now he feels he would be breaking his promise if he took them off.
That makes the most sense.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
His patron saint would hardly be a patron if he disallowed him from temporarily removing his medallions for a life-saving procedure.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Yeah. I mean I've heard of vows to wear certain medals or the like, but I don't think they are done without exception. I think those who do these vows are, usually at least, allowed to take them off in the shower or the like.

Maybe you could contact a priest if this happens again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality