Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times

Advertisements

Religion is one of the most divisive forces known to humanity, as evinced even here in this forum. However, I just wanted to start this thread to create an area where people can share and discuss (NOT DEBATE) their religious beliefs, and gain appreciation for each others' beliefs and traditions.

Religion is, despite its emotionally charged nature, a cultural artifact, and the impact religions have on various cultures (Christianity in the West, Islam in Southeast Asia, Buddhism in China, Animism in Africa, etc., is fascinating to me, even though I do not believe in these faiths.

Personally, I find the (liberal) Jewish approach to religion beautiful -- it is something that draws together families, friends, and communities around a common set of beliefs and traditions, rather than something meant to be taken dogmatically and meant to separate "us" from "them." Ultimately, I've been wondering: what harm is there in connecting with your community through religion, especially if you know it is not factually true?

Finally, a quick apology. I know my previous posts here have come off as radical and militant, but that is not how I am in real life -- and I apologize if my zeal for my beliefs has offended anyone. Though I am an atheist, I respect all religious and non-religious views, and in fact, find them fascinating.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Once again, I do NOT intend this to be a debate thread, and if it becomes one, I will ask the mods to shut it down.

What do you think?

Last edited by northstar22; 11-19-2011 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: clarity and conciseness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Religion is one of the most divisive forces known to humanity, as evinced even here in this forum. However, I just wanted to start this thread to create an area where people can share and discuss (NOT DEBATE) their religious beliefs, and gain appreciation for each others' beliefs and traditions.

Religion is, despite its emotionally charged nature, a cultural artifact, and the impact religions have on various cultures (Christianity in the West, Islam in Southeast Asia, Buddhism in China, Animism in Africa, etc., is fascinating to me, even though I do not believe in these faiths.

Personally, I find the (liberal) Jewish approach to religion beautiful -- it is something that draws together families, friends, and communities around a common set of beliefs and traditions, rather than something meant to be taken dogmatically and meant to separate "us" from "them." Ultimately, I've been wondering: what harm is there in connecting with your community through religion, especially if you know it is not factually true?

Finally, a quick apology. I know my previous posts here have come off as radical and militant, but that is not how I am in real life -- and I apologize if my zeal for my beliefs has offended anyone. Though I am an atheist, I respect all religious and non-religious views, and in fact, find them fascinating.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Once again, I do NOT intend this to be a debate thread, and if it becomes one, I will ask the mods to shut it down.

What do you think?
I believe that a religious discussion can be had without debate Moderator cut: orphaned . All that needs to happen is for the posters to be willing to learn and step out of their own perspective box for a moment. I love reading about other peoples beliefs, this includes atheists. Most of the atheists on here have some beautiful and amazing stories to share, and they are all worth listening to.

Along with no debating, I think we shouldn't allow insults either.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-21-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I'd certainly prefer that and I have had some experiences here where simply pointing out false reasoning was treated as though some kind of insulting accusation. In fact, when a theist is willing to be reasonable, a surprisingly large amount of common ground can be found. In essence, I suppose, all that atheism is asking is that it be taught as an equally valid theory alongside the Bible in the religion class.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
The OP is right , religions are divisive as believers know God is the only way.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I believe that there is beauty in all religions if you look for it, sadly some people can't get past thier religous bias. If they could then just maybe they would learn to respect other people's faith or lack of it.

Last edited by reed067; 11-21-2011 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
I have little tolerance for religion but it is only ever voiced through the forum.

Religion is such a contentious issue, so divisive, so destructive and so restrictive, that really the best thing I can say about it is many of the churches are beautiful. There's not much else positive about it in my opinion.

I had to edit this post because I do find the Eastern religions much more palatable than any of the others. They are more philosophically inclined and I truly enjoy some of the Tao Te Ching and Confucius' meditations on life.

Last edited by Djuna; 11-21-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I'd guess Music and arts are maybe one of the main religious things that I find religious or irreligious people can both kind of say nice things regarding. I mean one might think the beliefs that caused people to build Chartres or Hagia Sophia or Angkor Wat or Kinkakuji are kooky, or outright bad, but still admire them as architecture. Or with music there's plenty of annoying religious songs, but there's also plenty of good compositions inspired by religions.

More controversially, perhaps, I've seen introverted people of various views like some of the contemplative elements of religion. Maybe they'd rather contemplate or meditate on "something real" but still kind of see the value in thinking on deep questions or ponder where they're going in life. I've never found a definitive answer in my ponderings on what my vocation is to be, married or monastic or something else, but it's sometimes been of value anyway.

I guess for more extroverted people the social/communal aspects of religions can seem to be positive if directed to something they find socially acceptable. (Like helping sick people or getting someone off drugs or the like)

Although I would generally feel my religion has the "fullness of the truth" some other faiths at times show aspects of what's good better than Catholics do. Some of the Protestant churches are better at reaching out to people and giving emotional support. Islam and Judaism sometimes had a better handle on this-worldly practical matters than most. I really liked the Tao Te Ching and Mencius, although in some ways they're opposite I guess. Tao Te Ching has a lot about the value of not doing things and not pretending you understand things you don't. Mencius has a good deal about education and family. I admit I never really connected with the "Dharmic religions" (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism) although I guess Sikhism is a Dharmic religion and I like some of what I've heard in it.

This is rambling, maybe I'll do better some other time.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,054 times
I believe that due to Adam's sin, we are all born with a sin nature. We are destined for hell, and incapable of saving ourselves. Fortunately, Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins, and his blood turned away the wrath of an all-loving, but all holy, just God.

If you die in your sins without repenting and placing your faith in Christ alone for your salvation you will die and go to hell.

That is my belief.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Religions in and of themselves don't have to be divisive. It's the way people choose to practice them that can make them to be. Some people use religion as an excuse to be divisive, but really, anything can be used as a tool to convince oneself that one is better than another.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
It is easy to be tolerant of religions that have had no effect on your life. For example, I have no hard feelings against the Shinto religion.

However, if my parents had been killed by a Shinto group, and if my sister had been forced to accept their religion, and if the Shintos had forced me out of my homeland, then I would probably not be as tolerant of their beliefs.

My point is that people who seem to be intolerant often have a valid reason for their attitude.

In my case, no religion has ever done me the slightest harm, so I have a warm feeling toward all of them, even the ones that are downright silly. In some ways, that includes all of them.

As a matter of fact, I think I will go on Youtube and play my favorite version of Rock of Ages. See you later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality