Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 PM

100 posts, read 101,021 times

Advertisements

I know most modern day Christians do not practice polygamy. But polygamy was a widely accepted practice in biblical times. In fact, one celebrated biblical figure, King Solomon, had 700 wives and 300 concubines!(NOTE: concubines are live-in mistresses) What exactly changed? Here are some polygamist quotes from the Bible:

Exodus 21:10
"If a man takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights."

2 Chronicles 11:21
"Rehoboam loved Maacah daughter of Absalom more than any of his other wives and concubines. In all, he had eighteen wives and sixty concubines, twenty-eight sons and sixty daughters."

Deuteronomy 21:15-17
"If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons but the firstborn is the son of the wife he does not love, when he wills his property to his sons, he must not give the rights of the firstborn to the son of the wife he loves in preference to his actual firstborn, the son of the wife he does not love. He must acknowledge the son of his unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double share of all he has. That son is the first sign of his father’s strength. The right of the firstborn belongs to him."

It's clear that polygamy was an acceptable practice in the Bible. Why is it that Christian churches no longer practice polygamy?

If the answer is "because times have changed and the culture back then was different then why doesn't the Christian community recognize same sex marriages? The cultural standard has also changed in regard to same-sex marriages. These unions are now more accepted by our culture.

If Christian practices change in accordance with general cultural practices and societal views (i.e. if Christians can condemn polygamy simply because modern culture condemns it and not the Bible) then wouldn't it make sense that Christians make this same argument for accepting and recognizing same sex marriages?

If not, is it then fair for the rest of us to publicly recognize this hypocrisy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
I
It's clear that polygamy was an acceptable practice in the Bible. Why is it that Christian churches no longer practice polygamy?

If the answer is "because times have changed and the culture back then was different then why doesn't the Christian community recognize same sex marriages? The cultural standard has also changed in regard to same-sex marriages. These unions are now more accepted by our culture.

If Christian practices change in accordance with general cultural practices and societal views (i.e. if Christians can condemn polygamy simply because modern culture condemns it and not the Bible) then wouldn't it make sense that Christians make this same argument for accepting and recognizing same sex marriages?

If not, is it then fair for the rest of us to publicly recognize this hypocrisy?
Polygamy as far as I know ('cept for Mormons) was never practiced by Christians.

Polygamy has been around since day one. And it usually involved a male and multiple women.

Other than that, when did the idea of gay marriage begin? 10, 12 years ago.

Related thought.

Would you be cool with an adult man marrying his adult sister? (let's say they would have not have children for obvious genetic reasons) Two consenting adults.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM

100 posts, read 101,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Would you be cool with an adult man marrying his adult sister? (let's say they would have not have children for obvious genetic reasons) Two consenting adults.
It doesn't really matter if I'm cool with it or not.

It's not my marriage. It's not my business.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:

Same sex marriage has been around for thousands of years.

There are historical contracts documenting same sex marriage in such ancient civilizations as Egypt, China and Roman. In fact one of the Roman emperors went through a marriage ceremony with another male.

In more modern times, formalized and recognized same sex relationships have been taking place in societies and cultures all over the world.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Same sex marriage has been around for thousands of years.
There were unions between older men, or sometimes women, and young people of the same-sex. There were unions between a transgendered person and a person of the same-sex. That there were same-gender marriages I think is somewhat disputed. Although it might have occurred in Greece or Rome.

Quote:
There are historical contracts documenting same sex marriage in such ancient civilizations as Egypt, China and Roman.
Evidence? I mean besides John Boswell.

Quote:
In fact one of the Roman emperors went through a marriage ceremony with another male.
Roman Emperors I think had the power to marry people to the Moon or a tree or a piece of fruit. I might be exaggerating a little, but there were Roman Emperors who did very peculiar things.

Quote:
In more modern times, formalized and recognized same sex relationships have been taking place in societies and cultures all over the world.
Although that's true, it's really a small number of them.

To the basic question in most of the Bible stories that had polygyny it doesn't work out well. (Polygyny as the practice of women marrying multiple spouses is never in the Bible. Polygyny, multiple wives, is pretty much it) I think by Christian times it had mostly declined but we do see one of the early Frankish Christian kings, Clovis I think, having several wives at once.

Anyway polygyny is still potentially reproductive, so it is still matrimony, and is still the union of the sexes. It's wrongness is in being unjust/unfair as most societies that allow polygyny don't also allow polyandry and generally place the man above women. Being sexist/misogynist was pretty common in Middle Eastern peoples.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
I know most modern day Christians do not practice polygamy. But polygamy was a widely accepted practice in biblical times. In fact, one celebrated biblical figure, King Solomon, had 700 wives and 300 concubines!(NOTE: concubines are live-in mistresses) What exactly changed? Here are some polygamist quotes from the Bible:

Exodus 21:10
"If a man takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights."

2 Chronicles 11:21
"Rehoboam loved Maacah daughter of Absalom more than any of his other wives and concubines. In all, he had eighteen wives and sixty concubines, twenty-eight sons and sixty daughters."

Deuteronomy 21:15-17
"If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons but the firstborn is the son of the wife he does not love, when he wills his property to his sons, he must not give the rights of the firstborn to the son of the wife he loves in preference to his actual firstborn, the son of the wife he does not love. He must acknowledge the son of his unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double share of all he has. That son is the first sign of his father’s strength. The right of the firstborn belongs to him."

There were a lot of reasons polygamy was allowed. One is because people were doing it, God tolerated it and allowed it for a time.

Another is that in a culture where women are largely seen as property, with no rights to ownership, if her man dies she's in trouble. Polygamy allowed a man to take in and care for more than one wife. The alternative is for the woman to be begging for bread the rest of her life.

Same-gender marriage though, goes directly against the design of the human body, and against God's intent for marriage. While he allowed multiple marriages, same-gender marriage changes the definition of it. It also does not allow for reproduction, which was a big deal in the time.

There is also a lot of theology in the institution of Marriage. It is seen as a metaphor for Christ's love of the church. He is the bridegroom, the church is the bride. He is going to prepare a place and will return to gather his bride for the wedding.

Romans, Chapter 1 explains that people gave up the natural relations for the other gender and turned to same-gender, so God gave them over to their sin.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
In a tribe fighting for survival, polygamy is good and same sex marriage is bad.

Polygamy means that more women can have their children supported by a man with power and money.

Allowing same sex marriage will entice some bisexuals to be with people of their own sex instead of being with people of the opposite sex and having children.

In our society, neither argument makes sense. I am against polygamy and I voted to allow same sex marriage in Virginia.

Last edited by hiker45; 11-18-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Polygamy as far as I know ('cept for Mormons) was never practiced by Christians.

Polygamy has been around since day one. And it usually involved a male and multiple women.

Ehh no. Wrong on both counts

WHEN SAME-SEX MARRIAGE WAS A CHRISTIAN RITE1

Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
In a tribe fighting for survival, polygamy is good and same sex marriage is bad.
Interesting considering this tribe was supposed to be the chosen people of humanity's source of objective morality.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
There were a lot of reasons polygamy was allowed. One is because people were doing it, God tolerated it and allowed it for a time.

Another is that in a culture where women are largely seen as property, with no rights to ownership, if her man dies she's in trouble. Polygamy allowed a man to take in and care for more than one wife. The alternative is for the woman to be begging for bread the rest of her life.

Same-gender marriage though, goes directly against the design of the human body, and against God's intent for marriage. While he allowed multiple marriages, same-gender marriage changes the definition of it. It also does not allow for reproduction, which was a big deal in the time.

There is also a lot of theology in the institution of Marriage. It is seen as a metaphor for Christ's love of the church. He is the bridegroom, the church is the bride. He is going to prepare a place and will return to gather his bride for the wedding.

Romans, Chapter 1 explains that people gave up the natural relations for the other gender and turned to same-gender, so God gave them over to their sin.
So God changed his mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality