Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 AM

11 posts, read 74,453 times

Advertisements

You keep hearing by many people, especially atheist & non-believers that Christmas is not a Christian holiday, mainly because they still celebrate it and think that its roots comes from pegans, which is not true.

Now many people might think - What does Santa, Christmas tree, Christmas lights, Gingerbread, gifts, colors red & green etc. have to do with the birth of Christ?

Well, all decorations and celebrations have actually something to do with Christmas and birth of Christ.

First of all, we decorate for the holiday because it's for Christmas, not for any other holiday or just because it's end of the year.

The only truth about Christmas is that Jesus Christ' actual birth might not have been Dec 25, but it's approx. during that time calculated and it's decided to celebrate that day.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas]Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Please read it before saying it's a secular/pegan holiday!

I love the article written and it's mentioning every single decoration and what is symbolize Christ.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-06-2011 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Please refrain from using 'red' as it is reserved for mod cuts and mod actions. Any other color is okay. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazme View Post
You keep hearing by many people, especially atheist & non-believers that Christmas is not a Christian holiday, mainly because they still celebrate it and think that its roots comes from pegans, which is not true.
Pagans, actually. Yes, it is true. Anyone with an iota of history study from a legitimate institution of learning knows that.

The Jesus myth itself is based upon earlier savior/sons of god myths.

Quote:
Please read it before saying it's a secular/pegan holiday!
[quote]

I love the article written and it's mentioning every single decoration and what is symbolize Christ.]/quote]Ehh no thanks. Christian apologetics sites are the last place one should go to as a source for accurate information.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-30-2011 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Please refrain from using 'red' as it is reserved for mod cuts and moderator actions. Any other color is okay. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazme View Post
Regardless of anyone's personal opinion, "Christmas" predates Christ and Christianity.

This is a historical fact. So it is about Christ for Christians, but that's not all it is. It's a significant event for non-Christians too.

Deal with it.

yeah, I've read your articles. Christmas is both a Christian holiday AND a secular AND a pagan one all at once.

Roman Christians commandeered it for their own purposes, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a holiday long before the birth of Christ.

Happy Feast of Saturnalia to you.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 AM

901 posts, read 2,388,291 times
My beef with Christmas lately has to do with all this nonsense over calling a Christmas tree a "holiday tree". Are decorated firs/pines associated with Hannukah or Kwaanza?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
My beef with Christmas lately has to do with all this nonsense over calling a Christmas tree a "holiday tree". Are decorated firs/pines associated with Hannukah or Kwaanza?
Before the 300's CE, it wasn't called a Christmas tree so....what's your point?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM

337 posts, read 409,254 times
Christmas means Christ Mass, so yes it is a Christian Holiday no matter which day it is celebrated. Want Christmas in July? It won't matter, Christians will still do the same things, put up trees, decorate and buy presents.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
Christmas means Christ Mass, so yes it is a Christian Holiday no matter which day it is celebrated. Want Christmas in July? It won't matter, Christians will still do the same things, put up trees, decorate and buy presents.
It only got that name after the Roman Christians commandeered it.

It was not originally a Christian holiday.

Don't let that stop you though. I celebrate both the Christian and pre-existing Pagan aspects of the holiday.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
'Tis the season for reviving this "argument."

Fa la la la la, la la la la!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,513,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Credentials: I am Christian. I was born and raised in a Christian family. My grandfathers were both Christian ministers, as were two of my uncles.

Now, with that said, I'm glad you asked. Actually, the bringing of greenery and lights into the home around the time of the Winter Solstice is an ancient, pre-Christian SCANDANAVIAN tradition. So is the burning of the Yule Log and the entire concept of "Yuletide". Look it up.

While I agree that "Christmas" as such IS a Christian holiday, I must also point out that there are many, MANY other non-Christian religious/spiritual celebrations that take place around the same time of year. All of them -- Repeat, ALL OF THEM -- significantly pre-date Christmas. Look it up.

And by the way, here are some relevant facts:

Christ was most likely born in the SPRING rather than the dead of winter. Look it up.

For several centuries the day of Christ's death on the cross, aka Easter, was the primary Christian celebration. Look it up.

The very-first-ever Christmas celebration took place more than 300 years after Christ's death. The December 25th date was selected by Pope Julius the First, the Third Bishop of Rome, in a deliberate attempt to co-opt the Roman celebrations of Mithra, Saturnalia and Juvenalia. Look it up.

The fact that Christ was born in the Spring, rather than in December, formed the basis of the Puritan's denial of Christmas as an actual religious holiday. Once again, look it up.

=========

My point is not to denigrate Christmas. Rather, my points are to (a) validate that "Christmas" is not only a Christian celebration, and (b) illustrate that celebrating December 25th as Christ's birthday was actually "stolen" from other religious traditions.

So, to be quite accurate, other religions are not "copying Christmas" at all -- it is the other way around entirely. If anyone develops heartburn over this, all they have to do is -- as I've already said many times -- LOOK IT UP.

And if you can't be bothered to actually look it up, with all due respect, your paltry opinion has no value or place here.

Regards, and Season's Greetings to all,

-- Nighteyes (who follows the teachings of Christ as he understands them)

Last edited by Nighteyes; 11-30-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 05:15 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
"Regardless of anyone's personal opinion, "Christmas" predates Christ and Christianity.

This is a historical fact. So it is about Christ for Christians, but that's not all it is. It's a significant event for non-Christians too.

Deal with it.

yeah, I've read your articles. Christmas is both a Christian holiday AND a secular AND a pagan one all at once.

Roman Christians commandeered it for their own purposes, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a holiday long before the birth of Christ.

Happy Feast of Saturnalia to you." - Strel

I know your lifestyle doesn't place much importance on facts or logic, but this is how the world works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality