Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 PM

912 posts, read 827,254 times

Advertisements

SeekerSA;22565257]The fear aspect is of course a made up aspect of religion. The other tribes are demonized and their practices and this then forms the basis of a religion. Upping the ante to suggest this comes from a higher up authority unseen but only in communique with the tribal chief/medicine man then takes on a whole new way of life. Only the deer leader has authority to speak to this deity, you see this clearly in the myth of moses who disappears and then comes back with the supposed profound god edicts that were in reality his own invention

Once the unknown is ascribed to a god, this god grows in stature and his powers ALL that was not explainable. We now know that lightning and storms are not god edicts or punishments but simply a natural phenomenon.

The history of religions tends to refute that noble assertion.

Of course a sun god could be seen as reliable as it brought heat and light plus when the moon was full, one could see in the dark. The folk really did not know how it all transpired so they invented the concept that this god created it for the humans. I am sure they observed the cyclic apparitions of the moon and even invented calendars to match, yet back then they did not know what caused this.

B...

Very interesting I think...We also do not know what caused the BB and where the kinetic energy came from. Hypothetical white hole leads to a Sun-God of sorts. Progress simply un-ravels greater more complex curiosity while keeping sound with rational consequence. Sound until the laws of physics break down and the tool used is without any value. Were in the same boat except for one thing, its not a little pond anymore, its an ocean.

IMO all human interaction contributes to the regard for acceptable behaviour or morality. Many societys would have traded , inter-married ect... Greed, dis-agreements and mis-understandings cause conflict & are all part of existence. Demonizing is just a word , a forgotton word where a truce would be in play which would have been probable in many outcomes. A tribe could not exist as a tribe without understanding the cessation of hostilities... increases the quality and enjoyment of life.

S...

What better way to deal with mortality than to suggest an underworld or post life existence? It dealt with the finality of death in a more humane way with the hope that there would be a reconnection in a hereafter.

They are not the only conclusions. Sorry.

That is called society, no god required really apart form a god of the gaps.

I agree in part as I cannot see that folk we any less curious than we are today. Many things they had no clue as to the mechanics of say reproduction other than it had something to do with intercourse. Only in the 1800's onwards did the mechanics become known when we discovered the female contribution.

Much of what you stated here is very humanistic and essentially I agree with most of it.

IMO the accruement of knowledge was hampered by the religion and the gods invented and these gods are the ones driven purely by fear of the unknown. Even modern science has no clue what happens after death except that we know consciousness is 100% a brain activity and once this ceases, death occurs and that is it.

B...

If it rains and keeps the plants multiplying, becomes warm allowing for building shelters, becomes dark in order to get rest comfortably,including others to learn from, be with, teach, there are all kinds of things which are known. A being cannot come up with a God idea or power greater than himself without knowing anything , or as its put, fear of the unknown. Its obviously a regard and appreciation for exactly.. what is known.

S...

We still face the mortality issue yet we are now able with the help of science to survive pneumonia where in the past this was terminal. My own mother lived to 87+ and she was tired of living in her last years. She had a number of surgeries that obviously prolonged her life.

The new discoveries by way of science means we need to let go of the past ideas and accept the mass volumes of knowledge we now have.

B...

Yes a bigger ocean , there is more unknown today.

S...

Clustered societies of course have their challenges and as such the simple hunter gatherer mode is no longer realistic. We now have to use agriculture and ranching to replace the gathering and hunting of yore. It is more efficient as we can control this and not be dependant to the whims of nature.

B...

A bigger ocean again, same water though.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 01-16-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
I can't watch it; freezes every few seconds.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Watch it direct on YouTube by following the link, select a lower resolution 240p and you should be OK. I usually pause it and let it cache fully as my connection is not that hot either.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I can't watch it; freezes every few seconds.
Press pause and wait while it buffers....

Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
Very well done. However its message would be bleak to most of the teeming masses of this wretched world. Most humans live lives that are nasty, brutish and short.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Transcript of narration
We were born through ingenuity and violence in a world where a brute struggle was encoded in every living being. But we were different. Our sole imagination gave us confidence so we stood up right and we triumphed over our enemies. But we were confused when we opened our eyes. Nature made us masters of survival but didn’t give us the tools to understand the world. All we knew about life was death we inflected upon others and it reminded us of our own fate. So we got scared and we told tales about another life – the corner stone of our civilization.

We wandered out into the unknown as proud nomads and the smell of conquer followed our footsteps. We held our chests high and we feared no enemies. But our brute species stumbled into a world full of mysteries ungraspable to our young minds. We started to ask questions but there were no answers to be found. Winds, rains, volcanoes, earthquakes – the rulers of life and death. They seemed to be alive they seemed to have a will of their own. So we got scared and we surrendered the nature to a higher power; a thing to be worshipped. (more)

Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Very well done. However its message would be bleak to most of the teeming masses of this wretched world. Most humans live lives that are nasty, brutish and short.
Was found to be "very inappropriate" in a neighboring area of these forums. Were the questions this video poses too difficult, too much reason, I just don't know. I could understand many would not agree, but it's not inappropriate.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
The video had this statement at the end:

"Only when we come to terms with our true nature will we be able to divert from our brute heritage and create a society where we can share the world together."

What do you think it means to "come to terms with our true nature"?

I think the video pointed out the "true nature" of mankind very well, and that is why we in the USA pay a lot of money to maintain our military power. We know from experience that other forces would love to take our land away from us.

We also do not want to "share the world together". Otherwise, we would open our borders and let everyone come into our country, which we believe would lower our standard of living.

I remember buying a poster with Bobby Kennedy's quote on it, - Some people see things as they are and ask 'Why?' I see things that never were and ask 'Why not?' I had that poster around for a couple years, and eventually threw it out because I simply did not agree with it.

I realized my attitude is to see things as they are and figure out how to deal with them.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM

912 posts, read 827,254 times
Immigration......This does NOT include the known multitudes of illegals in this Islamic category...click on pic for larger size....note graph is shown in THOUSANDS
Attached Thumbnails
We got scared-fig1.gif  

Last edited by Blue Hue; 01-19-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think the video pointed out the "true nature" of mankind very well, and that is why we in the USA pay a lot of money to maintain our military power. We know from experience that other forces would love to take our land away from us.

We also do not want to "share the world together". Otherwise, we would open our borders and let everyone come into our country, which we believe would lower our standard of living.
Want to comment on this part.

I think the idea that US folk perceive that "other forces" want to take away the American dream(tm) is a myth at best and has been fuelled by fear tactics of politicians post WWII. There was the Japanese in WWII, the Russians in the cold war and now the muslim threat and IMO none of them are anyway plausible. I have said it that having a common bogey man to hate unites the American people but you are probably at a cross roads in your history to bring these charlatans to task.

As for immigration, I can relate, the Zimbabweans are our Mexicans and over 50% of that land's population now reside in SA. This has led to xenophobia yet these folk work harder and for less than the locals. North of the Limpopo, the situation sucks for most folk and many whites may return with the black folk once Mugabe and his cronies are no more.

The have nots will always migrate to where they can make a better life for themselves. The problem is not any particular country but the way society has evolved. The UK and US have raped resources from Africa for pennies on the dollar and as such, some folk feel they are owed something. If the world truly followed christian concepts, there should be no poverty theoretically. Most folk merely want to have a fairly decent life and are prepared to contribute their services to society.

When you break it down to basics, each family unit desires the best they can provide for their families.

Maybe somewhere down the line, a world government may not be such a bad idea after all. Perhaps the fact that I grew up with so many different cultures is why I see it this way. The white folk from the then Rhodesia live in diaspora all around the globe. Most of us are in our +50's now and our offspring have assimilated to their new adoptive homelands, many returning to the birthplace of their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality