Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:16 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Well, I'd have to say according to me, though I'm certainly not the only one. Do you disagree? If so, based on what?
It assumes that someone/thing somewhere is programming this virtual reality. Asumption heaped upon assumption. It's a house of cards, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Oh FFS, we're going in circles.

1- The results of the double slit experiment make no sense if reality is objective without relying on magical particles that change back and forth into waves depending on how we observe them, or not.
2- The fastest path movement of light, if light were physical, requires photons to be sentient.
3- Quantum tunneling demonstrates that matter only probably exists until measured. Impenetrable barriers that nonetheless allow a few particles to escape show their location is calculated and probabilistic, not material and objective.
1) Some think that particle/wave duality is an illusion:

Quantum Theory and Wave/Particle Duality

I'm not saying that I agree wholeheartedly with this guy, but he does raise some interesting questions.

2) Says who? What necessitates such a requirement?

3) Many things are calculated and probablistic. That doesn't require them to be non-material and subjective.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Oh FFS, we're going in circles.

1- The results of the double slit experiment make no sense if reality is objective without relying on magical particles that change back and forth into waves depending on how we observe them, or not.
2- The fastest path movement of light, if light were physical, requires photons to be sentient.
3- Quantum tunneling demonstrates that matter only probably exists until measured. Impenetrable barriers that nonetheless allow a few particles to escape show their location is calculated and probabilistic, not material and objective.
I see various theories for the above, but none that say we are living in some kind of matrix, and nothing is real.... Wave

Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
True, it probably isn't that way but I challenge anyone to scientifically prove we are not living in a simulated universe...
I can't do it scientifically, but I can do is philosophically.

To wit:

If we were 'asleep' in a giant computer network, we would have no point of reference to contruct a concept of 'awake'.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Erm, no, what they do is quote mine people who have actually done the work (they never produce original scientific research - how could they? They don't understand the scientific process), taking their words out of context, and misrepresenting what science actually has to say. That is not how science is done.
It is really simple, a person can say "God" made this or that happen, then after millions of years(yes I believe in the scientific time-frame), made this happen, or created a situation where it would happen as time progressed.

Again too many are stuck on the "six days" to mean six earth days as we know them.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
It is really simple, a person can say "God" made this or that happen, then after millions of years(yes I believe in the scientific time-frame), made this happen, or created a situation where it would happen as time progressed.

Again too many are stuck on the "six days" to mean six earth days as we know them.

You can say "god did it" with regard to anything, but that neither makes it true nor does it explain anything.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
You can say "god did it" with regard to anything, but that neither makes it true nor does it explain anything.
True . . . but the same can be said for "Nature did it."

Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True . . . but the same can be said for "Nature did it."
Not really. Nature exists. We have evidence of what nature does. The same cannot be said with regard to God.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 PM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Not really. Nature exists. We have evidence of what nature does. The same cannot be said with regard to God.
I can claim existence in the name of God and say the same thing about God . . . since there is no explanation of what this "Nature" is that you claim existence in the name of.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:23 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Careful, atheists who use sarcasm get their posts deleted.

I have had plenty of sarcastic posts deleted...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality