Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Suicide is nearly always the last act of hatred a person makes. It is not deep depression or pain that results in suicide, it is a desire for revenge that is the final reason. An indisputable way of saying "I hate all of you bastions and this is how much I hate you and you can't do a blasted thing about it, so there, this will fix your little red wagon."

That is what is wrong with suicide, it is not a release it is the succumbing to hatred. It is not the winning of control over life, it is loosing to bitterness and letting hatred become all encompassing.
Where on earth did you come up with that theory? I couldn't disagree more...Virtually everyone that I have known personally that took their own lives did it because they had a terminal illness and were in extreme pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Quote:
Suicide is nearly always the last act of hatred a person makes. It is not deep depression or pain that results in suicide, it is a desire for revenge that is the final reason. An indisputable way of saying "I hate all of you bastions and this is how much I hate you and you can't do a blasted thing about it, so there, this will fix your little red wagon."

That is what is wrong with suicide, it is not a release it is the succumbing to hatred. It is not the winning of control over life, it is loosing to bitterness and letting hatred become all encompassing.
That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read that you wrote. As a psychologist, I can tell you that almost all suicide is due to deep pain and the feeling that the only way to escape the pain is by ending their own life. The only exceptions might be suicide bombers, and those people who kill several people before they kill themselves. But, for the vast majority of people who commit suicide, they are deeply depressed and feeling hopeless.

One other exception would be those doctor-assisted suicides in which the individuals are not depressed, but are terminally ill, and choose to end their life on their own terms.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:

That is a cruel and nasty thing to say about someone who is in such despair that they want to die to be free of the pain.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 01-02-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 AM

641 posts, read 558,524 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: edit

I can't speak for the next guy, obviously, but I certainly don't hate anybody.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-02-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Where on earth did you come up with that theory? I couldn't disagree more...Virtually everyone that I have known personally that took their own lives did it because they had a terminal illness and were in extreme pain.
I will concede that long term pain and/or depression will render a person without the capacity to understand the finality of suicide and render them incapable of making a responsible choice.

However, in every suicide attempt in which I got to interview the survivor the common thread I found has been one of immense hatred and/or anger. Usually directed towards a former loved one.

The highest rates of suicide are not among the terminally ill, it is among angry young healthy men. Followed closely by love hurt young females.
The majority of suicides involve a failed intimate relationship.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I am a licensed Masters Level Psychologist. What are your qualifications, or what journals can you cite to support the above statement?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Let's get some facts up in here.

From the Mental Health America website Mental Health America: Suicide :

[list]Moderator cut: snippet: [*]It is true that most people who die by suicide have a mental or emotional disorder. The most common underlying disorder is depression, 30% to 70% of suicide victims suffer from major depression or bipolar (manic-depressive) disorder.[*]30,000 Americans die by suicide each year; an additional 500,000 Americans attempt suicide annually

Last edited by june 7th; 01-06-2012 at 11:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I will concede that long term pain and/or depression will render a person without the capacity to understand the finality of suicide and render them incapable of making a responsible choice.

However, in every suicide attempt in which I got to interview the survivor the common thread I found has been one of immense hatred and/or anger. Usually directed towards a former loved one.

The highest rates of suicide are not among the terminally ill, it is among angry young healthy men. Followed closely by love hurt young females.
You know, you really should do a bit of research before making such statements...It will save you from eating crow...

Older Americans are disproportionately likely to die by suicide.

Of every 100,000 people ages 65 and older, 14.3 died by suicide in 2007. This figure is higher than the national average of 11.3 suicides per 100,000 people in the general population. NIMH · Suicide in the U.S.: Statistics and Prevention

Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read that you wrote. As a psychologist, I can tell you that almost all suicide is due to deep pain and the feeling that the only way to escape the pain is by ending their own life. The only exceptions might be suicide bombers, and those people who kill several people before they kill themselves. But, for the vast majority of people who commit suicide, they are deeply depressed and feeling hopeless.

One other exception would be those doctor-assisted suicides in which the individuals are not depressed, but are terminally ill, and choose to end their life on their own terms.
I'm a retired psychologist and my findings differ.

A lot depends on the age group the young make the most attempts with about 200 attempts for every completed suicide. Those above 65 have a rate of 4 attempts for every completed one. But they are usually more isolated and often have more effective means available. Among those over 65 the the cause is nearly always depression, isolation or terminal illness. While they make up the largest group of completed suicides, the most attempts are in the 18-24 age bracket and those are nearly always anger over a failed relationship.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I'm a retired psychologist and my findings differ.

A lot depends on the age group the young make the most attempts with about 200 attempts for every completed suicide. Those above 65 have a rate of 4 attempts for every completed one. But they are usually more isolated and often have more effective means available. Among those over 65 the the cause is nearly always depression, isolation or terminal illness. While they make up the largest group of completed suicides, the most attempts are in the 18-24 age bracket and those are nearly always anger over a failed relationship.
You are waffling...We are not talking about failed attempts here...At least have the courtesy to admit that you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality