Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sheesh, how large a selection do you want? There are forums for everything from health to trivia here. What additional ones would you like to see?
Perhaps I should clarify my post.

Atheists have one

Christians have one

Alternate religions, Muslims and others do not, but we should. I don't think that it would create more fences as was suggested by another poster.

Besides, i've always heard that good fences create good neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
Unhappy Whaaatttt??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
There is more to life than Christianity and Atheism.

.................................................. ..

Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The R&P forum is sophist at best, but can be a source of entertainment.
I wonder if anyone else on the forum has similar thoughts.
I suppose I come here mostly for the entertainment.

I do find it interesting to learn what people believe and why they believe it.I've been a bit surprised at what some people believe but i'm sure some feel that way about me too,and thats ok.

Internet debate on a subject as unprovable as religion is pointless if you want to win......but can still be quite entertaining.

Before I came on here I had no idea that some people still believed things like ,'the sun rotates around the earth,which is fixed in place,and God lives in the middle of the sun in a palace,where he sits watching us all day'.

The various conspiracy theory threads/end of the world anyday threads/and alien pyramid on the moon threads can provide hours of entertainment!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
I don't take religion seriously, so, no. I'm not being sarcastic, either. There is nothing wrong with debate, even if it is sloppy and poorly done, but I've only seen a few cogent arguments from the religious people on this forum, and they weren't even religious it seemed, they were obviously just deists.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
.................................................. ..
Yeah, I feel the same way !

Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
I've been posting on the interwebs for about 5 years. It's not just the R&P forum. It's the same on every forum that allows atheists and nonatheists to discuss matters of the spiritual.

Same old arguments. Same old catch pharses like the "no true scotsman" and the "Watchmaker".

Heck, I never knew what pascal's wager was about until I presented the concept during a discussion

Quote:
The R&P forum runs in circles, but gets nowhere. No progress can be noted.
If you're an atheist, you may write a thought provoking post. But the believers will pick a small part and attack, intentionally disregarding the whole of the post. So why write a thought provoking post?
And while atheists think they have posted a thought provoking post, it really isn't something we haven't heard before. Each time it falls flat, because said "thought provoking post" is based on the same old idea: God does not exist. Five years and nothing has changed.

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-05-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I've been posting on the interwebs for about 5 years. It's not just the R&P forum. It's the same on every forum that allows atheists and nonatheists to discuss matters of the spiritual.

Same old arguments. Same old catch pharses like the "no true scotsman" and the "Watchmaker".

Heck, I never knew what pascal's wager was about until I presented the concept during a discussion

And while atheists think they have posted a thought provoking post, it really isn't something we haven't heard before. Each time it falls flat, because said "thought provoking post" is based on the same old idea: God does not exist. Five years and nothing has changed.
The religious will often dismiss anything which does not affirm their beliefs. Direct question they will avoid.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
I have noted that atheists tend to dismiss that which doesn't support their beliefs also. Rarely if ever has a forum atheist said "interesting, tell me more details" to the theist. I have about 10 events in my life that were powerful, God proving, experiences. After the 20th time of being ridiculed or having said testimonies summarily dismissed, I decided that sharing this stuff to the skiptic is useless.

Quote:
The religious will often dismiss anything which does not affirm their beliefs. Direct question they will avoid.
I tend to avoid questions that I've answered a 100 times.

And I, like many others, prefer affriming things.

The first year or two of forum stuff I tended to engage in lots of discussion that were meant to be challenging. I was challenged and would engage in long discussions. Then I began to discover that much of what was said by skeptics was based on incorrect(or worse) information. Repeating something that is misinformation over and over doesn't change the truth.

Nowadays I post (in the mixed forum) mostly for the sake of the lurkers.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I have about 10 events in my life that were powerful, God proving, experiences. After the 20th time of being ridiculed or having said testimonies summarily dismissed, I decided that sharing this stuff to the skiptic is useless.
Yes, I agree that sharing your "god proving experiences" with us Atheists is totally useless.

We believe there are no supernatural events. We believe that if anything appears supernatural to you, it is because you are being delusional.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Post #18 reminds me of one point I forgot to mention in the OP.
The religious believe atheism is a religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality