Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I was just looking at the thread about Jehovahs's Witnesses and numerous people have quoted "chapter and verse" of Biblical passages . . . who in their right mind would spend their time doing that? It does not make any sense to me. What is the possible motivation?

I can only think that there is some teaching about "recruitment" that must indicate a payoff of "Heaven." Why else would anyone spend their time copying and pasting scriptures and trying to convince other people that "their way is the right way?" It's so pompous and arrogant, from my perspective. Not to mention unproductive and a complete waste of time.

Wouldn't it be a better use of time and more "Christian-like" to feed the homeless or do some act of charity for someone? I'm dead serious.
Well, you can't very well be off feeding the homeless 24/7, can you? You're here because you like the conversation. So's everybody else. I agree, though, that it's a total waste of time to copy and paste a bunch of verses from the Bible in hopes that anybody is going to read them and be persuaded to see things your way. On the other hand, I think atheists have every bit as much of a tendency to be long-winded and verbose as Christians do. They may not quote scripture, but they sure so spend a lot of time trying to convince theists that they're believing in an "invisible sky-daddy" or "flying spaghetti monster." As far as I'm concerned, either extreme is just as much a waste of time as the other, not to mention just as annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not true. Jesus condoned tithing in Matthew 23. He also said we must give to the poor.
Well if that's the case then I would say that Christianity is going directly against the teachings of your Jesus and as for giving to the poor, it sounds as though he meant that if you have plenty or more than you need, you should share with those who don't have any. I don't think you need to believe in Christianity to do that.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well if that's the case then I would say that Christianity is going directly against the teachings of your Jesus

Not really sure about your meaning.

Quote:
and as for giving to the poor, it sounds as though he meant that if you have plenty or more than you need, you should share with those who don't have any. I don't think you need to believe in Christianity to do that.
That's true.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
jimmiej: Although I seldom agree with you on religion, I will say that you are not "long-winded and verbose" but concise in your statements. I appreciate that!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM

[quote=jimmiej;22482471][/color][/color]

If your Jesus was against tithing, then why is the Christian church using his name to collect money, that's kinda contradictory and it just means that the Christian church is in the business of making money.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
jimmiej: Although I seldom agree with you on religion, I will say that you are not "long-winded and verbose" but concise in your statements. I appreciate that!
Thank you!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
If your Jesus was against tithing
Where did I say that?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Not true. Jesus condoned tithing in Matthew 23. He also said we must give to the poor.
How quickly we soon forget. Are these not your words?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
How quickly we soon forget. Are these not your words?
Pardon me, I used the wrong word in my earlier post. In talking to the religious leaders of His day, Jesus said not to neglect tithing. He did not abolish the exercise.

Matthew 23

Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM

511 posts, read 491,872 times
[quote=ptsum;22484963]
Quote:
[/color][/color]

If your Jesus was against tithing, then why is the Christian church using his name to collect money, that's kinda contradictory and it just means that the Christian church is in the business of making money.
He's not
It's not
No it isn't
No it doesn't
Do some real research and try to learn something
You shouldn't be so closed minded and always forcing your atheistic beliefs on everyone
Atheists would be more likable if they would just live like they expect everyone else to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality