Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,823 times

Advertisements

Even though I am an Atheist, I think Protestant Christianity will become even more dominant in the USA.

The appeal of Christianity is simple - Accept Jesus as your savior and he will personally guide you through life, help you overcome your difficulties, and protect you in the afterlife. That is a very appealing and powerful message.

Of course, some people want more specific rules in their religion, so they will be attracted to Catholicism, Islam, or even Judaism. But I think Protestant Christianity will do it for most people.

It has been a real pleasure to live 66 years and observe how the US has changed during that time.

I recall the Rowan and Martin Laugh-In comedy show in the 1960's and one of their skits would make predictions of the future. One of the guys said, "In 1988, President Ronald Reagan ..." and the whole audience roared in laughter. The idea of Reagan being president seemed ridiculous in the liberal 1960's.

They could never have imagined Reagan would be elected President in 1980 and then carry 49 states when he ran for re-election in 1984. He was still so popular in 1988 that his vice-president George Bush was elected president - that had not happened since Van Buren succeeded Jackson in 1836.

The future can be surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Jews will remain steady as they always have, they reproduce but aren't out there trying to get converts. religions-
Not true - Jews overall have the lowest fertility of any group in the country. Not to mention, that nearly half of them in the U.S. today mary non-Jews. See Jews and the Jewish Birthrate . Although there are exceptions, such as Kiryas Joel, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I think that if the human race makes it through the age of warring religions, atheism will be dominant. I expect WW3 to start in the Middle East, probably as a war between Iran and Israel involving nukes, with other countries lining up beside them (take a wild guess who the USA will support). If there are survivors after the radioactivity decreases, I think they will see what brought all the ruin upon them. Sure, it isn't just religion, but God's imprimatur sure makes it a lot easier.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM

31,009 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Not true - Jews overall have the lowest fertility of any group in the country. Not to mention, that nearly half of them in the U.S. today mary non-Jews. See Jews and the Jewish Birthrate . Although there are exceptions, such as Kiryas Joel, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I didn't say anything about fertility rates with respect to if they were the lowest?
From what I see in 2001 it was 13.2 million world wide and a little more than that last year. Sounds pretty steady to me.
World Jewish Population | Latest Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I live in New Mexico so I am inundated by White Sikhs. In fact, it is a rarity to see an Indian Sikh here.
I can only speak from my experience 20 years ago as a former Sikh with no visibility to New Mexico. The Sikhs I run into these days either through work (East coast) and when I am out (West Coast) are of Indian ancestry. Havent seen a White or Hispanic Sikh in years.

Ideally, if you really are sincere in your respect of someone elses chosen religion the only real answer is to have a benevolent non-religous government.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 01-18-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality