Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would your beliefs cause you to vote for or against an admitted adulterer?
Against - I'm a fundamentalists 0 0%
Against - I'm not a fundy 4 44.44%
For - I'm a fundamentalists 1 11.11%
For - I'm not a fundy 0 0%
I don't or can't vote 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

The SC primary is tomorrow (Saturday 1/21/12).

A self-admitted adulterer is on the ballot. He was having an affair for years while still married to his previous wife.

This is not really politics, for all of his opponents are members of the same party, a party that is the favorite of fundamentalists.

If you live in SC, or if this was playing out as your states primary would you vote for an adulterer, which would give him and his current wife (the woman he cheated with) a fair chance of becoming President and First Lady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
I saw this response on a religious Jewish forum earlier today. When asked the question:

Should you vote for an admittedly immoral person?:

Quote:
Immediate response, of course not. But, what about this thought? Today the morality in the secular world has fallen so far, maybe a candidate who has a past and has repented, or is publicly trying to repent, is needed to be a model of hope that people can repent nomatter how far they have sunk. Maybe a message needs to be sent to those who feel discouraged that change and improvement is possible, and that is why we are seriously looking at a candidate with a serious social morality flaw? Or is that too far fetched?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
I cast my vote against hypocrisy not adultery.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
it would encourage people to be worthless liars if a worthless liar is given positive reinforcement... someone who "repents" is a flipfloper and shows he has nothing true in his heart. It would be a deep failure to tell our citizens that a way to win elections is to be a "repentful" adulterer... because they will know that adultery was required.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:50 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
it would encourage people to be worthless liars if a worthless liar is given positive reinforcement... someone who "repents" is a flipfloper and shows he has nothing true in his heart. It would be a deep failure to tell our citizens that a way to win elections is to be a "repentful" adulterer... because they will know that adultery was required.
So there's no repentance for anything? Even if sincere? I made a mistake, and now I'm trying really hard to never make it again - no forgiving?

Or for flipflopping, a subject (see my nicname), that I think about a lot. If your first stance is wrong, and then you see a better approach, you can't flip flop? You have to stick with the first (wrong) approach, out of principle?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
I'd have to say, Let him without sin cast the first stone.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I'd have to say, Let him without sin cast the first stone.
I think its time to sin and repent and teach this culture to our children...

sick and perverse as it is, let all the criminals free into te streets...

Are you a hypocrite Terry?
"let he
without
sin" is a pagan belief and was adulterated into the christian idol book, by an
editor, not a writer.

or
am i wrong?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
So there's no repentance for anything? Even if sincere? I made a mistake, and now I'm trying really hard to never make it again - no forgiving?

Or for flipflopping, a subject (see my nicname), that I think about a lot. If your first stance is wrong, and then you see a better approach, you can't flip flop? You have to stick with the first (wrong) approach, out of principle?
No, because
you cant repent the past away... the past is permenent. he should have thought about his
vile
lust
for
power
before he lied and cheated on his wife as he now plans to do with our
Nation, we must protect her from his false smile and crocodile
tears. If he was truly sorry, he would wish set an example of himself. for sure, he has the adultere's vote... but all sins are not the same... stealing a candy bar is not the same as defiling the institution of marriage and trust. The more you reward repentence, the more you nurture Sin.

I mean, who do you want to rule our Nation? the priest responsinble for the lady with the scarlet letter? or Sinless Jesus? the pagan saying is "dont be a hypocrite" not "forgive and let the criminals hold the reigns"... punish and forgive, but dont reward or forget.

Im not sure how much of a "mistake" cheating on one's wife and written word is... seams to me more of a deliberate insult to all who have dignity...

changing one's mind does not change the past... he commited actions, not just thoughts. If adultery was okay then, what made him change his mind? Surely there are people who never commited such an autrocity who can easily replace him... but this person'd hunger for wealth and power is too much to set himself as an example instead or a role model.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-20-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I agree, considering his adultery/lies are a thing of the past & out there for all to see.
What scares me more are secrets, lies, deceit.

"Political candidates should be made to wear NASCAR suits so we can tell who their sponsors are."

Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
So your vote would be against his hypocrisy of saying he wants to protect the sanctity of marriage while cheating on his wife, instead of the adultery?

Or the hypocrisy of him trying to get Clinton impeached for infidelity, while cheating on his wife?

Last edited by Asheville Native; 01-20-2012 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality