Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post
I mean why do Catholic keep putting down on people that they are the first church?

Where does in history says that?
The first Christian church, before the bible was written, shortly after the departure of Jesus was Jewish. They worship in the Synagogue and read the Old Testament. Jesus was a Jew and his followers were Jews.

The Gentiles came later when Paul converted them and stated there was no need for circumcision. This caused a break from the Jews. The Bible was not written yet.

If the Bible was not written there was no way to say that the Bible was the word of God or that the Catholics did not follow the Bible, ha, ha.

Here is The first epistle of Paul the apostle to the Corinthians written in the year 53 when the first books of the Bible NT started to appear.

Quote:

1 Corinthians 7

Concerning Married Life

1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. 8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

Read the bold parts. This is pure Catholicism and clearly states the views of God on celibacy regarding those that serve God. It also describes the Catholic teachings on marriage.

Quote:
James 5:16

New International Version (NIV)

16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Confession in the Bible?????????? SOunds very Catholic, .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If you read Revelation, which was written by John of Patmos in 96 ACE, the seven Churches he names are:

Ephesus
Smyrna
Pergamum
Thyatira
Sardis
Philadelphia
Laodicea

Those seven churches are all located in modern-day Greece, Turkey and Bulgaria.

Why are no churches in modern-day Italy mentioned? In 96 ACE when John was writing Revelation, there most certainly were churches in Rome, Milan, Napoli and 8 other locations.

Why were they not mentioned?

Because they are false churches.

John, the Bishop of Rome, was sort of like Rasputin. He had the ear of Emperor Justinian. He also had fraudulent documents that were forged, allegedly authored by Emperor Constantine. John used those fraudulent documents to convince Emperor Justinian to make him

“…the head of all Bishops and the true and effective corrector of heretics.”

That was in 533 ACE, and John the Bishop of Rome becomes the very first official pope in the institution of the Vatican. He is now the supreme pontiff of the Imperial Roman Catholic Church, and he has authority over every “tribe, people, nation and language.”

Emperor Diocletian reorganized the political subdivisions in the early 300s ACE into Dioceses, Archbishoprics, Bishoprics, Proconsulates, and Patriarchates. The Imperial Roman Catholic Church adopted the same organizational structure, and then established ecclesiastical nobles with similar titles. Pope equates to Emperor, Cardinal to Governor, Archbishops and Bishops are self-evident, Monsignors to Consuls and so on.

Nowhere in the New Testament does Jesus say, "Acquire papal estates and use slaves as free labor to enrich yourself" yet that is exactly what the Imperial Roman Catholic Church does.

People complain about the US southern States using slaves, but the Imperial Roman Catholic Church used slaves from its creation up until 1848 when Garibaldi defeated the pope's armies and confiscated the popes "States of the Church." Unfortunately, Emanuel gave the lands back to the pope, but fortunately, he did so on the condition that the Church outlaw slavery.

As far as Peter, he was not the first. James (the brother of Jesus) was actually the first head of the Church of Rome. Peter tried to kill James, and James was forced to flee. He died in India.

The Imperial Roman Catholic Church truly does “speak proud words and blasphemies.” Some examples are:

1) The Imperial Roman Catholic Church claims (and continues to claim to this day) that the Pope is the head of the church. Paul, speaking of the supremacy of Jesus of Nazareth, states:

Colossians 1:18 He is the head of the body, the church, as well as the beginning, the firstborn from among the dead, so that he himself may become first in all things.

2) The Imperial Roman Catholic Church claims (and continues to claim to this day) that the Pope is the Judge of the Living and the Dead (see the Catholic Encyclopedia Volume XV). That is contradicted by any number of verses in the New Testament.

3) The Imperial Roman Catholic Church claims (and continues to claim to this day) that “it is necessary for salvation to be subject to the authority of the Roman Pontiff” (see the Catholic Encyclopedia Volume XV).

4) The Pope has authority above all and is subject to no authority (a restatement of papal authority by Pius VI, who fortunately died in captivity before he could blaspheme again).

5) The Pope holds “upon this earth the place of God Almighty" (a restatement of papal authority by Leo XIII, who must have taken a brief time out from berating and condemning the United States and Americans to issue forth more blasphemy).

6) The Pope “has from on high an authority which is supreme, above all others and subject to none" (a restatement of papal authority by Pope Pius XI in 1929 after Mussolini gave the pope 100 acres of land for Vatican City, paid reparations and recognized its sovereignty).

It's an institution, one that is dying sort of like the Monarchy in Great Britain, but there are a lot of ignorant people who continue to support the evil that the Imperial Roman Catholic Church is.

I actually hope there is something to the prophecies of Malachy and others that claim the world has had enough and just about seen the end of the papacy, Vatican and Roman Catholic Church.

That's what history says...

Mircea
I love re-visionist history!! It is so entertaining!! The "Peter tried to kill James" part is the funniest!! Please cite your source for this (and maybe for the others too.) Thank you!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
I love re-visionist history!! It is so entertaining!! The "Peter tried to kill James" part is the funniest!! Please cite your source for this (and maybe for the others too.) Thank you!

These are the same folks that claim Catholics worship Satan.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
It is a bit surprising and I'd never heard it before. While risking going off- topic, I'd love to see the support for that.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Read the bold parts. This is pure Catholicism and clearly states the views of God on celibacy regarding those that serve God. It also describes the Catholic teachings on marriage.
I always thought that strange. I went to Catholic School from Kindergarten through my senior year in high school. I used to question things like that. One day in Theology class (yep we took it from 7th grade all the way through high school), I brought up 1 Timothy 4:2-3 in relationship to priestly celibacy and not being able to eat meat on Fridays.

2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

I believe I was sent to the headmaster's office, yet again. I never was a very good Catholic.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Going back to the OP's question, look up "apostolic succession". That seems to be quite important to Catholics and Orthodox Christians. Your local parish priest was consecrated in a ceremony in which he was touched (i.e. "laying on of hands") by someone who was consecrated in a similar ceremony by someone who was consecrated etc. in an unbroken line all the way back to Jesus. Theoretically, every person in the chain can be named.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I believe I was sent to the headmaster's office, yet again. I never was a very good Catholic.
I hope you became a Bible fundamentalist.

You sound like one.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I always thought that strange. I went to Catholic School from Kindergarten through my senior year in high school. I used to question things like that. One day in Theology class (yep we took it from 7th grade all the way through high school), I brought up 1 Timothy 4:2-3 in relationship to priestly celibacy and not being able to eat meat on Fridays.

2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

Many lay Catholics in this forum, like myself and Julian658, know the answer to the question you made in theology class. I wonder why you didn't?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I have just ONE question. How does the history of the Catholic, or any other Church, change the way you treat your fellow man TODAY?

If all this crap about who did what and when, makes a single bit of difference in how you live your life TODAY, then perhaps, it's time to take a good look at yourself.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I have just ONE question. How does the history of the Catholic, or any other Church, change the way you treat your fellow man TODAY?

If all this crap about who did what and when, makes a single bit of difference in how you live your life TODAY, then perhaps, it's time to take a good look at yourself.
I agree!! I just feel myself obligated to point out inaccuracies and outright lies when it comes to slanderous allegations against my Roman Catholic Church. Other than that, you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality