Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,737,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I sent this question into a question and answer forum online and never received an answer.

I don't get the God, and Jesus thing! I know they are the same, someone said see it like an egg......White/Yoke!

But, still Jesus while on earth is talking about God his father! So they have to be two different entities.....We know God created Jesus by putting him in Mary's womb......? I am sorry, I sound stupid I just don't get it.

And who do we pray too? God, Jesus? some people pray to Jesus, some people pray to God.......Well, if they are one in the same whats the difference?

I know to some people this is simple, but I am still confused!
It is a mystery, As St Agustine walking on the beach, saw a small child trying to fill in a tiny bucket, the ocean? Also, if, Catholic, it is the Trinity, God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. What St. Augustine said, it is not for us to understand, as filling a bucketl with the ocean water. We, can not do it, as understing the Trinity, a mystery. The Holy Spirit came on Pentecost. When, Jesus made us a promise, he would remain with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 04:26 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,386,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthewhisp View Post
I suppose the latter then is why people end up with such different opinions about what Christianity is all about.

You see I would say the former. Individuals are subject to a more diverse set of opinions, as opposed to the collective wisdom of a group of believers.

Mind you I'm making no judgement as to who or whom has the better opinion.

And therin begins the age old debate.

I hope you don't want to do it again. I know I don't.

We can see pretty clearly the two schools of thought among Christians on this forum.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 AM

204 posts, read 508,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I sent this question into a question and answer forum online and never received an answer.

I don't get the God, and Jesus thing! I know they are the same, someone said see it like an egg......White/Yoke!

But, still Jesus while on earth is talking about God his father! So they have to be two different entities.....We know God created Jesus by putting him in Mary's womb......? I am sorry, I sound stupid I just don't get it.

And who do we pray too? God, Jesus? some people pray to Jesus, some people pray to God.......Well, if they are one in the same whats the difference?

I know to some people this is simple, but I am still confused!
I believe in the Trinity. I think the best scripture that explains the trinity is:

Isaiah 46:9
Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.

God said there is NOTHING else like Him, so I tend to belive Him.

When people ask to explain the Trinity I usually say I can't because there is nothing else like God. There is nothing that we can compare God too. As one person said, us trying to explain the nature of God is like an ant trying to explain the concept of a man to another ant

God is unique. Nothing else exist like Him.
I believe there is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Three forms (I say forms for lack of a better word), yet One God with one nature, one will, one desire. They are one. We worship one God. They never disagree, so if you read in the bible where Jesus said something...then God the Father ,and God the Holy Spirit said it too! And Vice Versa.

It sounds impossible to us becasue there is nothing else like God that we can even compare. There is nothing like God even in Heaven. God Himself even says so:

Psalm 89:6
For who in the skies above can compare with the LORD ? Who is like the LORD among the heavenly beings?

Isaiah 40:18
To whom, then, will you compare God? What image will you compare him to?

Isaiah 40:25
"To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.

Isaiah 46:5
"To whom will you compare me or count me equal? To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 AM

897 posts, read 2,462,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
It is a mystery, As St Agustine walking on the beach, saw a small child trying to fill in a tiny bucket, the ocean? Also, if, Catholic, it is the Trinity, God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. What St. Augustine said, it is not for us to understand, as filling a bucketl with the ocean water. We, can not do it, as understing the Trinity, a mystery. The Holy Spirit came on Pentecost. When, Jesus made us a promise, he would remain with us.
It really is not a mystery. Pentecost is a pagan holy day. The trinity was part of the Romans idea system of believing in many gods. Most Christians will not read the bible in the historic sense. They also do not understand the background of the time period most chapters in the bible where written. Most people read the bible and interpret it instead of understand who the real audience is. For example do you read other books and interpret what that character is doing and it apply to you. Most people do not. The only time I have every really interpreted other stories were in college English classes. Most of the interpretations were made up and only relevant to that reader.

Plus the fact god makes it clear many times in the Old Testament that he is ONE and Not many. He also states he will never take human form but Christians disregard that text. I guess if you can have selective hearing than I guess you could have selective sight. But that is where blind faith comes in.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
It really is not a mystery. Pentecost is a pagan holy day. The trinity was part of the Romans idea system of believing in many gods. Most Christians will not read the bible in the historic sense. They also do not understand the background of the time period most chapters in the bible where written. Most people read the bible and interpret it instead of understand who the real audience is. For example do you read other books and interpret what that character is doing and it apply to you. Most people do not. The only time I have every really interpreted other stories were in college English classes. Most of the interpretations were made up and only relevant to that reader.

Plus the fact god makes it clear many times in the Old Testament that he is ONE and Not many. He also states he will never take human form but Christians disregard that text. I guess if you can have selective hearing than I guess you could have selective sight. But that is where blind faith comes in.

Pagan Holy Day?
Roman idea system?

Where did you get your "historical" fact?

BTW: the rest of your post I mostly agree with

Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 PM

91 posts, read 210,472 times
Can you help me find the Biblical reference where God says he will not take human form?

Yes I've read about the Triune God idea being Roman. It also features in Egyptian theology and in the Pagan Moon Goddess who is depicted in three forms as a young maiden, a mature woman and an old 'crone'.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 PM

258 posts, read 791,747 times
The Trinity Doctrine (http://www.wtv-zone.com/intelligent-health/Bible/1Atrinityprint.html - broken link)

Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
The Trinity Doctrine (http://www.wtv-zone.com/intelligent-health/Bible/1Atrinityprint.html - broken link)

Rather than providing a commentary on the trinity,
here it is right from the source;

Catechism of the Catholic Church - PART 1 SECTION 2 CHAPTER 1 ARTICLE 1 PARAGRAPH 2

Warning- Fellow Catholics, RUN FOR COVER !!!!

It's gonna get rough

Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Sun Worship

APOSTLES OBSERVED PASSOVER

The World Almanac, 1950 edition, page 704, says:

These words are excerpts from the original WebPages that are cited.

Last edited by Yac; 12-11-2007 at 02:12 AM..

Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthewhisp View Post
Can you help me find the Biblical reference where God says he will not take human form?

Yes I've read about the Triune God idea being Roman. It also features in Egyptian theology and in the Pagan Moon Goddess who is depicted in three forms as a young maiden, a mature woman and an old 'crone'.
This one is one of the best quotes: Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Numbers 23;

1. G-d is not a man. Missionaries say that the 'son' aspect of their tri-partite god was the person Jesus. (Sometimes they even seem to say the other two aspects were also human, but that's another story.) They emphasize that they believe G-d became man, not that a man became G-d. The Tanach makes no such distinction. The Tanach says simply that G-d is not a man.

Numbers 23 (KJV) 19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Missionaries claim the verse should read "G-d is not a man who lies..." This is not what the Hebrew text says, or even how the KJV translates it..

Hosea 11 (KJV) 9 ...I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee ...

I Samuel 15: (KJV) 29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

Psalm 146 , (KJV) 2 While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being. 3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Jesus is frequently refered to as the "son of man."

The Hebrew phrase "ben adam" (literally "son of man") in a poetic way of saying "person".

Job 9 (KJV) 32 For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment.33 Neither is there any daysman ("mediator" in the New KJV) betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.

Note that Job 9:3 also contradicts the missionary idea that someone must mediate between people and G-d.

The same idea is expressed in a different way in Deuteronomy Chapter 4. The text is explicit -- you saw no image at Horeb, so don't try to make a representation of G-d.

Deut 4: 15 (KJV) Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: 16 Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, 17 The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, 18 The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth: 19 And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.

Note that Deut 4:19 also contradicts the missionary idea that G-d will condemn those who worship incorrectly. G-d created objects (sun, moon, and stars) for non-Jews to worship so it is unreasonable to think G-d would condemn them for doing so.

Missionaries sometimes say that G-d has changed since those words were written. They assert that now G-d is indeed human, and if we Jews don't believe it, we will be consumed in the fires of hell.. However, the Bible says that G-d does not change and we will not be consumed.

Malachi 3 (KJV) 6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Verses missionaries ignore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality