Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Ignore theological background...ignore all that stuff about being born sinners, not accepting Jesus...etc...ignore the 'if it's not heaven it's hell' binary system.

Just look at the punishment of eternal torment - your body being physically tortured (let's say by a magical lake of sulfur that burns away the body before a new one is created) for eternity.

My question to all is:

is there any amount of evil that justifies being sent to such a place?

Does Hitler deserve it?

Does John Wayne Gacy deserve it?

Does George W. Bush deserve it?

If their crimes - massive as they are - are finite, why not mete out a punishment proportionate to their crimes? For instance, if Hitler is in some way responsible for the deaths of 6 million, why not punish him for 6 million? If JWG killed 30 boys in a particularly horrific way, why not 10 years for each victim...
Or judge it not by numbers, but intent.

I don't see how anyone could logically advocate eternal punishment for anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Who would carry out this eternal punishment? I don't think this could be answered without relying on a power greater than us to impose this judgement.

While I agree that GWB made mistakes, I hardly catagorize him with the likes of Hitler or Gacy.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Who would carry out this eternal punishment? I don't think this could be answered without relying on a power greater than us to impose this judgement.

While I agree that GWB made mistakes, I hardly catagorize him with the likes of Hitler or Gacy.
I'm not one to judge, but if the accusations are true, then 'doubleya' won't be going to Heaven.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not one to judge, but if the accusations are true, then 'doubleya' won't be going to Heaven.
It's a disgrace that he was never tried for his war crimes.

Anyway, to answer your question: no, I don't think eternal torment is justifiable in any case and certainly not based on the "crimes" of the Bible. I cannot think of a more cruel and evil concept than eternal suffering. If we should be judged after death, let the punishments and rewards be proportionate to our actions here on earth.

Doesn't it make you sick to your stomach to realise that a kind and generous Buddhist will spend the rest of eternity in excrutiating torment whereas a violent serial killer who converts to Christianity on his death bed will spend the rest of eternity in paradise? What kind of twisted morality is this? Thank "God" this stuff isn't real.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It's a disgrace that he was never tried for his war crimes.

Anyway, to answer your question: no, I don't think eternal torment is justifiable in any case and certainly not based on the "crimes" of the Bible. I cannot think of a more cruel and evil concept than eternal suffering. If we should be judged after death, let the punishments and rewards be proportionate to our actions here on earth.

Doesn't it make you sick to your stomach to realise that a kind and generous Buddhist will spend the rest of eternity in excrutiating torment whereas a violent serial killer who converts to Christianity on his death bed will spend the rest of eternity in paradise? What kind of twisted morality is this? Thank "God" this stuff isn't real.
One of the many reasons I could never be a Fundamentalist.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One of the many reasons I could never be a Fundamentalist.
But you don't have to be a fundamentalist to believe this, right? It seems to be the basic premise of Christianity: you will go to heaven if you accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God (no matter what sins you have committed in your life, just repent and you're forgiven) and you will go to hell if you don't. If you don't believe this then what about you makes you a Christian?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
But you don't have to be a fundamentalist to believe this, right? It seems to be the basic premise of Christianity: you will go to heaven if you accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God (no matter what sins you have committed in your life, just repent and you're forgiven) and you will go to hell if you don't. If you don't believe this then what about you makes you a Christian?
That's a big can of worms (that dieth not ).

There's a lot of debate that that's not what the original authors even meant. The idea of eternal torment, I believe, was formulated by the Church, influenced by various Jewish sects at the time, in order to present a fearful brand of Christianity to convert people and exert power over them.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 AM

570 posts, read 733,970 times
Its not about what you or I feel !!
Its not up to us ...

Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
So you do not believe in the traditional Christian concept of heaven and hell? Then what do you believe and how can you back this up with scripture? Just curious
I lean towards Conditionalism - natural or otherwise - where sinners will simply be destroyed and exist no more. I could be wrong, but that's what I get from the plainest reading of the scripture.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 AM

337 posts, read 409,254 times
It's interesting that when people go to hell and come back during an NDE, from what I have seen they always say that they deserved it and they are changed by the experience. Meaning they search for God and how to stay out of there. That tells me that our minds are clearer in the afterlife, in that we have a better perspective on our lives and how we lived in this life.

Once I see God, or know the holiness of God, I will better know how depraved I really was on earth. Meaning how depraved the natural man is. It's not a persons works that gets them to hell, it's their natural depravity. We are condemned already from the time of the age of consent, whenever that is. Sure different people do different bad things, but everyone does bad things and has bad thoughts, even of hatred and murder, even if they don't act on them.

Last edited by Mind over Chatter; 02-09-2012 at 05:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality