Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 PM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
While a simple expression of Evolutionary statistics can cover this off, I don't know off the top of my head where this intro stuff exists. It does of course; I just don't know right this moment. But I will try to find it.

And, ignoring the blunt-headed attacks b our scientifically oblivious and super-stubborn Big-E's simplistic and unsupported refutations here, it does happen, obviously.

Unless one blatantly denies...

√ that DNA works as we know it does;

√ that mutations happen as we've now regularly recorded them;

√ that they have any effect on the hosting organism's phenotype (please... look it up...)

√ that the environment would not then naturally test the resulting new phenotypes out against prevailing conditions,

√ that simple and very easily demonstrated exponential population growth of more-suitable and thus more-successful offspring naturally occurs;

√ that these better-suited offspring would then out-compete the less-fit versions, and finally;

√ that the Evolution process somehow knew it would be tested by scientific incompetents in this millenium, and thus did not preserve and toe-tag, along with the species' age, each and every transitional species. Of which, obviously, there are literally millions in each species' past history.

Heck; you and I are transitionals. We incur genetic variations (obviously!) with each and every new generation of humans, and they are (lightly) exposed to ecological fitness testing. Of course, the :"lesser" ild animals do not get to modify their environment a we do, which obviously tends to alleviate any net gains in evolutionary advances with us.

What's so hard about all this I wonder?

Unless, of course, it decimates and eliminates ones hokus-pokus spiritual world-view all to death! For some, it's just to much to bear, and they go off and offer up silly alternate mystical solutions...
Nothing difficult about it at all, rifle . . . and there is no need for an alternate mystical solution . . . just a more optimistic one. You and I do not differ on the known mechanisms of evolution, my friend. But I see the existence of patterns of potential in the DNA code as the result of design (NOT ID! . . . so don't get your panties in a bunch, rifle). It is indisputable that when they are finally manifested they are then required to establish their right to life. But the very fact that there ARE ANY such patterns of protein fold-up within DNA (NOT their manifestations) cannot simply be attributed to ignorance under the euphemism chance or random or luck or serendipity or the artificial mathematical law of large numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Ah the old "Evolutionists say it is all 'luck'" trick. They do not. 'Chance' is an element in Natural Selection and Evolution. It is not the whole story.

You are quick to distance yourself from "ID" too but you call it design - vaugely refer to the intelligence behind it and call that intelligence 'god' - but offer no evidence for any of that. What evidence is needed when your god of the gaps fits in everywhere I guess. Sounds like ID to me - or creationism to give it the correct name as in places like the Dover trial ID and creationism were pretty conclusively shown to be the same thing.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nothing difficult about it at all, rifle . . . and there is no need for an alternate mystical solution . . . just a more optimistic one. You and I do not differ on the known mechanisms of evolution, my friend. But I see the existence of patterns of potential in the DNA code as the result of design (NOT ID! . . . so don't get your panties in a bunch, rifle). It is indisputable that when they are finally manifested they are then required to establish their right to life. But the very fact that there ARE ANY such patterns of protein fold-up within DNA (NOT their manifestations) cannot simply be attributed to ignorance under the euphemism chance or random or luck or serendipity or the artificial mathematical law of large numbers.
I don't know about Rifleman, but I'm pretty happy with most of that and, if you want to believe in the hand of God in the intricacies of DNA or the gap for god argument that the hanging of atoms, molecules and biochemicals in a way thet works (because if it didn't it would fall apart) you are welcome. Just don't expect us to see that as anything other than a faith based ID claim without anything much to back it up. It certainly isn't evolution science.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 AM

570 posts, read 733,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA
There are many 'common ancestors' leading to various branches of mammals. Horses went one way to Eohippus and the primate branch went another way. I can perhaps look up the particular fossils on the relevant lines, but that's quite a big job and the nature of incremental evolution means that you don't get one crossroad creature where you can say 'that's where it changed'. That too simple 'missing link' scenario is a bit of a misconception.
Hi AREQUIPA
I swear that I do not want to irritate anyone here , Its just questions that I find worth asking .
I didn't ask about the names ...
I asked about a clear fossil records that I didn't find it anywhere & that's include your answer here .

ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــ
Quote:
You seem to have forgotten the explanation of unplanned mutations giving a survival advantage where the ecological opportunity was. It is a misapprehension to imply that the creature or indeed evolution 'knew' what their bodies needed to do. The only need was to survive.

The eye is shown today in many forms of development from light sensitive blobs in shrimps to open pits to admit light directionally in octopi and onto eyes with protective shields which through the survival advantage of getting a non- distorted image of the possible predator became a natural lens.
A small survival advantage is the only mechanism one needs to account for the development of the eye.

We also have other types of eyes in separate developments - the trilobites developed compound eyes which we now have in insects today.
AREQUIPA ...
I know about survival advantage .. but I am asking about the very first time a creature could actually see !!!
The basic components of the eye !!!
We are not talking here about a wood plate placed above the other to make a bed !!!
We are talking about an extremely complex organ !!
Another thing ..
How could you evolve an organ out of survival advantage when you don't even knew about it ?
There were no previous experience !!!
Do you understand what I am coming from ?!!
A simple word like "survival advantage" just wont work here ...
We are talking about How not Why .
When I asked those 2 questions to my Professor( he is an American) he admitted that there are no convincing answers to those questions and they only remains mere speculations .
Why don't you just admit that there are so many questions left hanging without a convincing answer .
There is no shame in that !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
While a simple expression of Evolutionary statistics can cover this off, I don't know off the top of my head where this intro stuff exists. It does of course; I just don't know right this moment. But I will try to find it.

And, ignoring the blunt-headed attacks b our scientifically oblivious and super-stubborn Big-E's simplistic and unsupported refutations here, it does happen, obviously.
Questioning, not attacking...
Isn't that the very spirit of science ?!!!
There is no need to make it personal !!
Quote:
Unless one blatantly denies...

√ that DNA works as we know it does;

√ that mutations happen as we've now regularly recorded them;

√ that they have any effect on the hosting organism's phenotype (please... look it up...)

√ that the environment would not then naturally test the resulting new phenotypes out against prevailing conditions,

√ that simple and very easily demonstrated exponential population growth of more-suitable and thus more-successful offspring naturally occurs;

√ that these better-suited offspring would then out-compete the less-fit versions, and finally;

√ that the Evolution process somehow knew it would be tested by scientific incompetents in this millenium, and thus did not preserve and toe-tag, along with the species' age, each and every transitional species. Of which, obviously, there are literally millions in each species' past history.
I don't deny anything ...
But that don't mean I should believe everything I am told !!!
There are alot of aspects in the theory that I find non-controversial and there are some other aspects that I find quite ridiculous and does not stand on any clear evidence or even logical one .
Quote:
Heck; you and I are transitionals. We incur genetic variations (obviously!) with each and every new generation of humans, and they are (lightly) exposed to ecological fitness testing. Of course, the :"lesser" ild animals do not get to modify their environment a we do, which obviously tends to alleviate any net gains in evolutionary advances with us.

What's so hard about all this I wonder?
Nothing really ....
You know ...
It's just that for many years they've been telling us that the fossil record is clear & unquestionable but when I start looking for it I find that it does not even exist ..at least not in the way that they've been telling us !!
When you confront them about it all they can do is try their best to explan it differently from what they've been telling you all of your life .
"All creatures went through transitional stages from swiming crawling flying walking on all fours to walking on two legs & we have the fossil record to prove it" .
But when you ask about that fossil record then the answer will turn into something like this :
Quote:
you and I are transitionals

In a glimpse of an eye that huge transitionals fossil record will vanish to thin air .
Sir ...
There are no fossils of transitional creatures !!!
Ever !!!
But does that seem to negate the whole theory of evolution ?
I'd say absolutely not ...
Quote:
Unless, of course, it decimates and eliminates ones hokus-pokus spiritual world-view all to death! For some, it's just to much to bear, and they go off and offer up silly alternate mystical solutions...

Why you always try to involve God in the subject ?!!
I asked two questions that have nothing to do with God ...
If you don't have a convincing answer then go on and say it ..
There is nothing wrong with that .
But if you felt that the logical answer could only leads us to the existence of God & that is the reason why you mention it then it is not my fault !!
Please don't hate on God or lets just say for you "the idea of God" ...
Hate can prevents us from thinking clearly .
I'm sure that you know it better than I do .
P.S : The two questions still remains and I am still waiting for a clear and direct scientific answers .

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 04-11-2012 at 06:12 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Hi AREQUIPA
I swear that I do not want to irritate anyone here , Its just questions that I find worth asking .
I didn't ask about the names ...
I asked about a clear fossil records that I didn't find it anywhere & that's include your answer here .
I'm not a bit irritated. It's a worthwhile question, but the fact is that researching out the lines of development from common ancestor (probably a Jurassic shrew) to horses one way and primates-humans the other is taking me some time - and there are other threads to attend to and a life to get on with and in fact such info would really not be very informative, since the lines diverged back in the miocene. One could equally give the line of development to pigs, camels, cats and kangaroos.

ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــ

Quote:
AREQUIPA ...
Quote:
I know about survival advantage .. but I am asking about the very first time a creature could actually see !!!
The basic components of the eye !!!
We are not talking here about a wood plate placed above the other to make a bed !!!
We are talking about an extremely complex organ !!
Another thing ..
How could you evolve an organ out of survival advantage when you don't even knew about it ?
There were no previous experience !!!
Do you understand what I am coming from ?!!
A simple word like "survival advantage" just wont work here ...
We are talking about How not Why .
When I asked those 2 questions to my Professor( he is an American) he admitted that there are no convincing answers to those questions and they only remains mere speculations .
Why don't you just admit that there are so many questions left hanging without a convincing answer .
There is no shame in that !!
I fully agree that there are a lot of questions and a lot of missing evidence. The only case I am arguing is that Evolution theory fits all the facts we have, all new facts adds to the old evidence and it all supports evolution.

Gaps and doubts and all and given that the amazing results of the hit and miss mutation mechanism may seem hard to believe (though the more you learn abut it the more it stacks up) and the actual process of evolution today, especially in humans seems a bit slow and elusive, but it is actually there.

Thus is not only is the best theory that fits the fact, but it is the only theory that fits the facts.

I will post something on the development of the eye, but if I can find it there was a good You- tube talk by Dawkins on the process.

The evolution of the eye

When evolution skeptics want to attack Darwin's theory, they often point to the human eye. How could something so complex, they argue, have developed through random mutations and natural selection, even over millions of years?...
Through natural selection, different types of eyes have emerged in evolutionary history -- and the human eye isn't even the best one, from some standpoints. Because blood vessels run across the surface of the retina instead of beneath it, it's easy for the vessels to proliferate or leak and impair vision. So, the evolution theorists say, the anti-evolution argument that life was created by an "intelligent designer" doesn't hold water: If God or some other omnipotent force was responsible for the human eye, it was something of a botched design.

Here's how some scientists think some eyes may have evolved: The simple light-sensitive spot on the skin of some ancestral creature gave it some tiny survival advantage, perhaps allowing it to evade a predator. Random changes then created a depression in the light-sensitive patch, a deepening pit that made "vision" a little sharper. At the same time, the pit's opening gradually narrowed, so light entered through a small aperture, like a pinhole camera.

(Arq - that's a good theory, where's the evidence?)

Direct evidence has continued to be hard to come by. Whereas scholars who study the evolution of the skeleton can readily document its metamorphosis in the fossil record, soft-tissue structures rarely fossilize....biologists have recently made significant advances in tracing the origin of the eye—by studying how it forms in developing embryos and by comparing eye structure and genes across species to reconstruct when key traits arose.

“Part of the trouble in tracing the evolution of the eye is that soft tissues don’t tend to fossilise. But the eye cavities in the braincase of these 400 million-year-old fossil fish were lined with a delicate layer of very thin bone. All the details of the nerve canals and muscle insertions inside the eye socket are preserved – the first definite fossil evidence demonstrating an intermediate stage in the evolution of our most complex sensory organ.

(But) The ancient limestone reefs exposed around Lake Burrinjuck in New South Wales have produced exceptionally well preserved placoderm specimens with the braincase intact,” Dr Young said.

The palaeobiologist discovered that unlike all living vertebrate animals – which includes everything from the jawless lamprey fish to humans – placoderms had a different arrangement of muscles and nerves supporting the eyeball – evidence of an “intermediate stage” between the evolution of jawless and jawed vertebrates."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0101193317.htm

Every change had to confer a survival advantage, no matter how slight. Eventually, the light-sensitive spot evolved into a retina, the layer of cells and pigment at the back of the human eye. Over time a lens formed at the front of the eye. It could have arisen as a double-layered transparent tissue containing increasing amounts of liquid that gave it the convex curvature of the human eye.

various sources

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/li.../l_011_01.html
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ion-of-the-eye
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0101193317.htm

I did of course come across Sean Pitman's sites questioning various aspects of evolution, including the eye. The questions are valid, but it's the old problem of finding something that can't be answered right now and pretending that this discredits the whole theory. What's worrying is that (in addition to short -sighted arguments for irreducible complexity (1) it is argued that Dr Pitman appears to use science that is actually wrong to make his case.

This site, while rather rude about ID does point up recent discoveries which show that some of the ID objections to the mechanism of evolution (including the processes of eye evolution) are being answered.

the evolution of retinal biochemistry is advancing quite nicely. Here is a review article from the same time as Behe’s article referenced above (1996-7), showing, for example, the branching pattern of relatedness in the amino acid structure of the opsin group of proteins used in vision. Here is a slightly more recent article from 2002 which reviews the phylogeny of visual protein systems.
The evidence is there, and growing, but creationists have never been bothered much by the evidence. Behe’s strategy is to just show how gee-whiz-complex the biochemistry of vision is then make the classic argument from personal incredulity. He fails to acknowledge, however, that such complexity evolves not so that the system can work at all but to make the system more sensitive, more specific, or more finely tuned. For example, a protein cascade can amplify the signal, allowing greater sensitivity to light. A less light-sensitive system can still work and provide a survival advantage.
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/i...eye-evolution/

You tube.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...tion+eye&hl=en

(1) asking what use photon - sensitive spots would be to earthworms looked odd even to a layman like me. The survival advantage to a worm being warned that it was about to poke itself into daylight would be obvious, I'd have thought)

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-11-2012 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Ah the old "Evolutionists say it is all 'luck'" trick. They do not. 'Chance' is an element in Natural Selection and Evolution. It is not the whole story.

You are quick to distance yourself from "ID" too but you call it design - vaugely refer to the intelligence behind it and call that intelligence 'god' - but offer no evidence for any of that. What evidence is needed when your god of the gaps fits in everywhere I guess. Sounds like ID to me - or creationism to give it the correct name as in places like the Dover trial ID and creationism were pretty conclusively shown to be the same thing.
It seems that the word "God" cause allergies to some people to the point that they even lose the most basic definition of simple words !!!
I will tell you what ...
Forget about the whole idea of God and tell me your definition of the word design ?
Ok ...
Now .., If that is a painting hanging on my wall at home ..
Wouldn't you agree that it is a beautiful design?

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 04-11-2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Funny thing S-L..first sight, that looked to me like a biology illustration. Looks like I was mistaken.... Who's the artist?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA
I'm not a bit irritated. It's a worthwhile question,
I am glad to know that ..
Thank you sir .
Quote:
but the fact is that researching out the lines of development from common ancestor (probably a Jurassic shrew) to horses one way and primates-humans the other is taking me some time - and there are other threads to attend to and a life to get on weith and in fact such info would really not be very informative, since the lines diverged back in the miocene. One could equally give the line of development to pigs, camels, cats and kangaroos.
I understand ...
Take you your time .
But out of respect & ... just between you and me

There is no forms between various kinds of creatures have ever been found nor there have ever been .
Quote:
I fully agree that there are a lot of questions and a lot of missing evidence. The only case I am arguing is that Evolution theory fits all the facts we have, all new facts adds to the old evidence and it all supports evolution.

Gaps and doubts and all and given that the amazing results of the hit and miss mutation mechanism may seem hard to believe (though the more you learn abut it the more it stacks up) and the actual process of evolution today, especially in humans seems a bit slow and elusive, but it is actually there.

Thus is not only is the best theory that fits the fact, but it is the only theory that fits the facts.
Not from what I see ...
Although I believe that the theory of evolution explains alot of what we see around us I find that new facts only makes us begin to reconsider some important aspects of the theory .
That reconsidering has already begin from the complexity that found in living cell .
Quote:
I will post something on the development of the eye, but if I can find it there was a good You- tube talk by Dawkins on the process.
I would like to see it please .
Take care

Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Funny thing S-L..first sight, that looked to me like a biology illustration. Looks like I was mistaken.... Who's the artist?
Believe it or not ...
That painting was emerged by random accident
Are you surprised ?
Well ...you ain't seen nothing yet ..
Just wait until you see how it functions .
Random accident can produce magic .

Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Wouldn't you agree that it is a beautiful design?
Ive looked over your posts. You appear entirely unqualified to discuss scientific topics at all - let alone this one - to the point you even make up science yourself to suit yourself. The evolution you discuss and attack is a straw man version which no one beleives in and has nothing to do with the topic as it actually is. You are also massively underqualified to even be speaking the english language. And here all you are throwing at me here is the "watchmaker" argument again which has been done to death on this thread and many others. Change the record please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality