Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times

Advertisements

this saturday i went to an engagement celebration of my female Muslim cousin got engage to another male Muslim. it was at the parents of the male muslim.(my cousin and her 3 other siblings are from muslim parents the dad my cousin is convert who married a Muslim woman the rest of my family are not Muslims ). i was expected a simple engagement ceremony instead it was a Muslim prayer session which lasted long. about 60-80 people came, If i had known that this invovled a long prayer session i would have stay outside or in another room until it was ended. they are going to get married this august. and i don't want to sit through another prayer session. she has 3 other siblings and when they get engaged in the future i will told them and my mother that i will not sit thought another long prayer session at their future engagements. if I wanted to go to Muslim prayer i will go to a mosque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Turnabout is fair play....

Agreed. Always interesting and somewhat egotistical and vain to presume others want to (or worse; need to...) see and hear someone's alternate theism. As you say, if you'd wanted to attend a foreign language (Farsi) prayer session...

I might suggest that you might offer to take your friend and his new wife out to a private dinner that is possibly supported and co-funded by you and some other non-Muslim invitees, and treat the bride & groom in that way as a celebration of their wedding (after it's been completed of course) , plus perhaps a tangible permanent gift of your choosing (a bible? Hee hee...).

You can explain that you couldn't understand. nor appreciate, the Islamic content of the first engagement "party", but that you hope they would accept and appreciate your hospitality as expressed in a nice cordial dinner!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Agreed. Always interesting and somewhat egotistical and vain to presume others want to (or worse; need to...) see and hear someone's alternate theism. As you say, if you'd wanted to attend a foreign language (Farsi) prayer session...

I might suggest that you might offer to take your friend and his new wife out to a private dinner that is possibly supported and co-funded by you and some other non-Muslim invitees, and treat the bride & groom in that way as a celebration of their wedding (after it's been completed of course) , plus perhaps a tangible permanent gift of your choosing (a bible? Hee hee...).

You can explain that you couldn't understand. nor appreciate, the Islamic content of the first engagement "party", but that you hope they would accept and appreciate your hospitality as expressed in a nice cordial dinner!
Personally, I would find that extremely disrespectful (and somewhat arrogant). Is their religion not 'good enough' in your eyes?

I agree that they might be touched by the private party, but to use it as a covert attempt to convert them is just plain bad manners, especially when they invited you to share in a very personal and life-changing moment.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Personally, I would find that extremely disrespectful (and somewhat arrogant). Is their religion not 'good enough' in your eyes?

I agree that they might be touched by the private party, but to use it as a covert attempt to convert them is just plain bad manners, especially when they invited you to share in a very personal and life-changing moment.
I agree. What possible reason could exist to give two people that you know are Muslim a bible?

That would truly be the act of a total dbag.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times
Muslims have no problems with reading a bible

Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
Muslims have no problems with reading a bible
I never said they did. In fact, I know several Muslims. What I said was that it's extremely rude to attend another culture's religious service and then start handing out your own religion's sacred text.

It would be like going into a Catholic church and handing out documents on abortion, or going to a Wiccan circle and requesting that the participants sacrifice a cat on the altar.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
There are no actual Islamic wedding ceremonies or engagement parties.

Most of us consider engagement parties to be innovations and a desire to copy non-Islamic practices.

A wedding is not a religious ceremony it is the signing of a contract in front of witnesses. What many thing is an Islamic wedding is the Walimah or marriage feast that comes after the Nikkah(Marriage contract) has been signed.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
this saturday i went to an engagement celebration of my female Muslim cousin got engage to another male Muslim. it was at the parents of the male muslim.(my cousin and her 3 other siblings are from muslim parents the dad my cousin is convert who married a Muslim woman the rest of my family are not Muslims ). i was expected a simple engagement ceremony instead it was a Muslim prayer session which lasted long. about 60-80 people came, If i had known that this invovled a long prayer session i would have stay outside or in another room until it was ended. they are going to get married this august. and i don't want to sit through another prayer session. she has 3 other siblings and when they get engaged in the future i will told them and my mother that i will not sit thought another long prayer session at their future engagements. if I wanted to go to Muslim prayer i will go to a mosque.
Engagement ceremonies in some traditions involve prayer sessions. Certainly weddings do as well.

Here is one Muslim engagement ceremony:

Malay Muslim Engagement Ceremony - YouTube

My son's Hindu engagement ceremony also involved Hindu prayers.

Vivek and Juhi’s Hindu Engagement Ceremony » Jacksonville Florida Wedding Photojournalist and Lifestyle Photographer

Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
Nana, there were so many happy faces in the pictures, what a beautiful time.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
i was expected a simple engagement ceremony instead it was a Muslim prayer session which lasted long. about 60-80 people came, If i had known that this invovled a long prayer session i would have stay outside or in another room until it was ended. they are going to get married this august. and i don't want to sit through another prayer session. she has 3 other siblings and when they get engaged in the future i will told them and my mother that i will not sit thought another long prayer session at their future engagements. if I wanted to go to Muslim prayer i will go to a mosque.
Honestly, I'd feel honored to be present during this kind of ceremonial prayer!

To each their own though, simply don't go if it offends you that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality