Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:00 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
Where do you think we go. Our memories, hopes, dreams, etc. Yes our brain is no longer functioning. Do you think this is just it, life? And after that its just void and dark. Or is there more than what just meets the eye. Something that lives deep within us, a form of energy or matter that transcends over our bodies after death and goes into a spirtual realm.
I think it will be just like it was before I was born.
And that's ok with me.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Last edited by Aeroman; 06-10-2012 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: What do you remember before you where born?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
There's only darkness and void as far as there is a conscious observer to see/think/feel of said darkness and void. If the observer and his/hers/its consciousness ceases to be anymore, it would only stand to reason that the darkness and void would/will cease, too. Ergo, an afterlife of darkness and voidness shall not one meet!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
I am an atheist that believes in non-spiritual reincarnation. According to our current understanding of cosmology, this universe will possibly experience a form of heat death and we will reach a state of thermal equilibrium where there is no potential energy for anything to happen. Even so, I do not think it matters at all if this universe dies. Either something preceded the Big Bang or it was the first cause. Regardless, existence is imperative and I believe more universes will come and go. And as consciousness is merely the result of the constitution of matter in a constantly shifting, although somewhat rigid, pattern, it can be reconstituted after death. As it is, your brain is in a constant state of flux. It has been reconstituted many times over in your lifespan. Consciousness is extremely robust.

With regards to cosmology, I adhere to the many-worlds theory and that it is sustained by eternal inflation. Bubbles of space suddenly expand creating new universes as it happened with our universe. And this is an endless process that results in an infinite amount of universes. When I die, I will be immediately reconstituted in another universe. No memories, but the stream of consciousness will persist. I was actually a staunch 'Death is death' atheist until I came to this epiphany. You rail so hard against religion and things associated with it that your vision and openness to things becomes tainted.

Last edited by BadJuju; 07-24-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
Where do you think we go. Our memories, hopes, dreams, etc. Yes our brain is no longer functioning. Do you think this is just it, life? And after that its just void and dark. Or is there more than what just meets the eye. Something that lives deep within us, a form of energy or matter that transcends over our bodies after death and goes into a spirtual realm.
Oblivion. There is evidence of nothing else. It is the same as all the eons before you were born. It will be like having anesthesia for surgery and just never waking up. When the brain is destroyed by death, former humans will be incapable of knowing or caring about anything.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Sure is a mighty elaborate production to be about nothing. So as I have come to trust my 'gut feeling', I highly believe death is not the 'end'. But one thing for sure is we all find out?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
When you are dead, you are dead. That's why you better enjoy living today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality