Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to pick on Christians here & I don't want this to become a big fight. I really would like to know. However I never never understood why some can't defend thier faith without mentioning the bible. If your strong in your faith then why not use your own words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 AM

1,975 posts, read 1,940,422 times
asking Christians not to quote the bible is like trying to make a stone float on water

Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Those "Christians" you are talking about are actually "BIBLIANS" People who have a reationship with a book, who use a book and only a book as their sole source of faith. It is a mostly American movement that caught on since the 1700's. Without a Bibe, these people claim that they cannot know God, Jesus, anything else........Take away their book, and you take away their God

Old 06-15-2012, 08:33 AM

311 posts, read 605,641 times
There are 2.2+ billion Christians worldwide, just because "some" use the bible as quote does not mean the rest can't defend their faith and prove it without the bible.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm not trying to pick on Christians here & I don't want this to become a big fight. I really would like to know. However I never never understood why some can't defend thier faith without mentioning the bible. If your strong in your faith then why not use your own words?
Well, to be fair, if I am explaining a case, there comes a time when I have to refer to some reliable body of Data. The problem I have is not when Christian Faith is founded on the Bible, but when it isn't and the Bible is considered irrelevant but the Faith is nevertheless claimed as true. I really find myself at a loss, there.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Here ya go: All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16. Ha!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Those "Christians" you are talking about are actually "BIBLIANS" People who have a reationship with a book, who use a book and only a book as their sole source of faith. It is a mostly American movement that caught on since the 1700's. Without a Bibe, these people claim that they cannot know God, Jesus, anything else........Take away their book, and you take away their God
You know, what you say is true. And it is these sorts of "Christians" who are likely to become atheists when someone shows them that some part of the Bible is questionable. One poster on this board comes to mind-she recently lost her faith and confessed that is was based on her relationship with the Bible. Not with God.

Christianity is about being in relationship with God thru Jesus. The Bible is a guide book for that relationship.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
You seem to ask a question which has a very obvious answer....

Its like sayins to you...why do you write, and use english and refer to the dictonary meanings for your language, and believe it is sound or good practice?

As Christ comes from the word of God...which is in part in the Bible as a testemony of God...God had helpers..."Let Us make"...So Christ is of God or a Son of God...to which God had many?...the sons of God came down and lied with the women of man...and bore children onto them that were Giants.

So from this seed or family...God has a line of sons...and Jesus did not come down to mate with women...as was shown when he walked here...

Thus God favored Jesus as his son and heir to the thrown of God..who now sits with God....So the Bible is the root word past on in some regards....and from this the faith is born....in believing in this book as a testemony...in this reality we test it to see if it is true...or false.

Error creates problems
Truth creates perfection....only one can be eternal and able to correct the other....detramental acts cause problems to arise....and thus I say if this detramental kills indiscrimately other life and human life..or causes sickness or suffering to arise in us or them..it should not be implimented or enacted or made...

Moderator cut: Off topic

Do we need the Bible?....Yes? No?...cause it states that one thing no one is doing!!!!,,,,Sharing Like God. Giving Like God...being Like God..for free totally and forever.....can we take that step now together?....look at the news today...are we ready?....nah...well maybe a few...but most are not converted from their own demise to a new outlook that has been here since the beginning....who would of thunk it....oh yah God did do...and so God knows best!

What did he say?...hence you need the book...eh?

Last edited by june 7th; 06-16-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Here ya go: All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16. Ha!!!

You know, what you say is true. And it is these sorts of "Christians" who are likely to become atheists when someone shows them that some part of the Bible is questionable. One poster on this board comes to mind-she recently lost her faith and confessed that is was based on her relationship with the Bible. Not with God.

Christianity is about being in relationship with God thru Jesus. The Bible is a guide book for that relationship.
I suppose you mean me, but honestly how can it be based on anything other than the "good book"? There is nothing else to go on! Absolutely NOTHING. And you're right, once one removes the blinders that you have to have on to even be a believer and begin to see the errors, ridiculous contradictions and unbelievable fables that are in the bible, then reality takes over and you see the nonsense of it all.

Maybe I was a "biblian" but so are all the other so-called Christians out there.....they base at least some portion of their beliefs on what is written in the bible. If they say they don't then they are liars because how else would they know about Jesus, the ten commandments etc. etc? All knowledge of everything christian comes from the bible, period. You claim christianity, then you claim the bible. That's how it works. No bible, no christianity. The only disagreement between christians is whether or not something in the bible is to be taken literal or not. Ok, not the only disagreement but they each have their own interpretations of SOMETHING in the BIBLE. Christianity=bible, no bible, no Christianity.

Personal experiences don't count, too subjective and are all most likely the work of hallucinations and unstable minds. New age meditation and the "feelings" or experiences they think they have are just a much desired therefore imagined fantasy.....I understand that desire but if you want to live in reality then you have to accept that it's not real. That's all that I have done, accepted the fact that it's all fables and fairy tales, no different than learning that Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny aren't real. Doesn't make me evil or a devil worshiper. Can't worship something you don't believe in.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

You know that's interesting, it would seem then that these BIBLIANS are not really worshiping their god but their sacred book instead. Hmmmmm...... I wonder if they realize what they're really doing....

Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
There are 2.2+ billion Christians worldwide, just because "some" use the bible as quote does not mean the rest can't defend their faith and prove it without the bible.
I don't know how you can "prove" something which is based on "faith". "Faith" and "prove" would seem to be pretty much the opposite of each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality