Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 PM

150 posts, read 393,260 times

Advertisements

I just finished watching CNN's God's Warriors second night and I am aghast. The piece opened with a distorted history line by begining with the late 1967 war that was imposed on Israel, failing to mention that Israel accepted the original UN decision for a partioned Palestine: a logistically indefensible state for the Jews and one for the Arab people as well, which was promptly rejected by the Arabs who professed thier intention to throw the Jews into the sea and to take the entirety of the land, and the subsequent wars that followed. The 1967 war was one of many Israel was subjected to after almost 20 years of unending attacks. Amanpour failed to outline the many overtures for peace the Israelis made and the concessions: the land given back over and over, and the incessant slaughter of the Israeli people. She failed to mention that Jordan initially annexed the West Bank, refusing Jordanian citizenship to the Palestinians, leaving them in the squalor of their refugee camps. She did not explore why all the massively wealthy Arab countries would not pour monies into the camps to improve the lot of the Palestinians when they profess their brotherhood to them. She did not discuss the corruption of Arafat's PLO embezzlement of the money the USA and other nations gave to the Palestinian cause. Nor did she mention "Black September" when King Hussein killed thousands of Palestinians and exiled them to Lebenon as they posed a threat to the country of Jordan. She failed to mention that the PLO then terrorized the Lebanese, raping and killing in south Lebenon as they shot missiles into Northern Israel. She failed to mention how they hid their headquarters in the middle floors of multistoried residential buildings with no concern for the Lebanese civilians as they attacked Israeli knowing full well they must fight back. The dead Lebanese children would thus serve as an example of Israel's inhumanity. She showed the Alasqua Mosque protected by Israeli law, but failed to document the Israeli gravestones which were used to build the bathrooms in Eastern Jerusalem by the Arab people when it was under their control. She talked of settlements that were built only after almost 30 years of war waged against Israel. She showed Gaza settlements being disassembled in Israel's attempts at peace, then failed to mention it is now under Hamas control after a coup. She dipicted a few horrendous Jewish murderers as if they represented the vast land of Israel as if in like form, Timothy McVie represented all of America, and made little of the fact that they were arrested and imprisoned, unlike their Arab counterparts who are revered as heroes and martyrs. She depicted the Jews in a stereotypically evil and conniving light, one of a people who are the wealthy elite who conspire to control the purse strings of the US and world politics as in an almost Nazi-like contempt. She did little to portray the fundemental tenets of Judaism or of mainstream Jews and Israelis. She viewed the Jewish-Christian alliance through the most corrupted lens, closing with an adulteration of a quote of the Orthodox Jewish woman who stated we have so many enemies, we must take advantage of our friends. Still I said, let me wait to see the other installments before I pass judgment...To my horror the depiction of extreme Islam was almost sympathetic. Those portrayed were much more soft spoken and elegant charactors. One could almost understand their fanaticism in the light they were depicted. The corruption of a morally bankrupt Western society drove them to it. The Islamic people portrayed were given air time to express their faith in much more rational detail than the Jews who were given empty and reactionary sound bites with no content. The Islamicists were romanticized for their almost understandable fight for their religion and values, even if it meant slaughter and atrocities waged against innocent people. They were portrayed as benevolent patriarchs who as a side note merely stoned their women to death for walking with a man, unlike the evil Jews who sought to ruthlessly dominate and control an innocent people. Their cause had an air of rightious purpose. While the series is not through, I can already say that the Judaism section borders on nothing less than the infamous, Elders of Zion. It infuriates me to believe that the mainstream media would produce such unbalanced and inflammatory rubbish, and terrifies me to think that Americans watching who know little of Middle East history will believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,535 times
Your litany is representative of one of the key dysfunctional political facts about the Palestinian Question: the citation of history as justification (excuses) for not acting responsibly in the present.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 AM

150 posts, read 393,260 times
Oh pleeeeze!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,490 times
Default Oh Pleeeeeeeeze is right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
Oh pleeeeze!
Amanpour is quite simply an apologist....Is she on the Payroll of Al-Jezzera?
I cringe every time I see her mainly because she provides such unbalanced commentary......Unfortunately many Americans will not research her claims and will believe her s--- carte blanche.............She is one of many many people who would just love to see all "Muslim" factions unite and attack Isreal.
Funny didn't someone else in history blame "The Jews" for all the world's problems? hmmmmmm. Dangerous Woman Amanpuor not because she tells the truth but that she grossly distorts it.
Spiritwalker

Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM

897 posts, read 2,458,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
I just finished watching CNN's God's Warriors second night and I am aghast. The piece opened with a distorted history line by begining with the late 1967 war that was imposed on Israel, failing to mention that Israel accepted the original UN decision for a partioned Palestine: a logistically indefensible state for the Jews and one for the Arab people as well, which was promptly rejected by the Arabs who professed thier intention to throw the Jews into the sea and to take the entirety of the land, and the subsequent wars that followed. The 1967 war was one of many Israel was subjected to after almost 20 years of unending attacks. Amanpour failed to outline the many overtures for peace the Israelis made and the concessions: the land given back over and over, and the incessant slaughter of the Israeli people. She failed to mention that Jordan initially annexed the West Bank, refusing Jordanian citizenship to the Palestinians, leaving them in the squalor of their refugee camps. She did not explore why all the massively wealthy Arab countries would not pour monies into the camps to improve the lot of the Palestinians when they profess their brotherhood to them. She did not discuss the corruption of Arafat's PLO embezzlement of the money the USA and other nations gave to the Palestinian cause. Nor did she mention "Black September" when King Hussein killed thousands of Palestinians and exiled them to Lebenon as they posed a threat to the country of Jordan. She failed to mention that the PLO then terrorized the Lebanese, raping and killing in south Lebenon as they shot missiles into Northern Israel. She failed to mention how they hid their headquarters in the middle floors of multistoried residential buildings with no concern for the Lebanese civilians as they attacked Israeli knowing full well they must fight back. The dead Lebanese children would thus serve as an example of Israel's inhumanity. She showed the Alasqua Mosque protected by Israeli law, but failed to document the Israeli gravestones which were used to build the bathrooms in Eastern Jerusalem by the Arab people when it was under their control. She talked of settlements that were built only after almost 30 years of war waged against Israel. She showed Gaza settlements being disassembled in Israel's attempts at peace, then failed to mention it is now under Hamas control after a coup. She dipicted a few horrendous Jewish murderers as if they represented the vast land of Israel as if in like form, Timothy McVie represented all of America, and made little of the fact that they were arrested and imprisoned, unlike their Arab counterparts who are revered as heroes and martyrs. She depicted the Jews in a stereotypically evil and conniving light, one of a people who are the wealthy elite who conspire to control the purse strings of the US and world politics as in an almost Nazi-like contempt. She did little to portray the fundemental tenets of Judaism or of mainstream Jews and Israelis. She viewed the Jewish-Christian alliance through the most corrupted lens, closing with an adulteration of a quote of the Orthodox Jewish woman who stated we have so many enemies, we must take advantage of our friends. Still I said, let me wait to see the other installments before I pass judgment...To my horror the depiction of extreme Islam was almost sympathetic. Those portrayed were much more soft spoken and elegant charactors. One could almost understand their fanaticism in the light they were depicted. The corruption of a morally bankrupt Western society drove them to it. The Islamic people portrayed were given air time to express their faith in much more rational detail than the Jews who were given empty and reactionary sound bites with no content. The Islamicists were romanticized for their almost understandable fight for their religion and values, even if it meant slaughter and atrocities waged against innocent people. They were portrayed as benevolent patriarchs who as a side note merely stoned their women to death for walking with a man, unlike the evil Jews who sought to ruthlessly dominate and control an innocent people. Their cause had an air of rightious purpose. While the series is not through, I can already say that the Judaism section borders on nothing less than the infamous, Elders of Zion. It infuriates me to believe that the mainstream media would produce such unbalanced and inflammatory rubbish, and terrifies me to think that Americans watching who know little of Middle East history will believe it.
I would like to see this documentary. You know if they will replay it. The state of israel is a very interesting topic.
Here is a couple of web sites that are interesting.
A Synopsis of the Israel/Palestine Conflict
The Role of Zionism in the Holocaust
Israel Versus Judaism
Neturei Karta - Orthodox Jews United Against Zionism

If any one else has any more ifo please post I would like to learn more about this issue.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,718,171 times
I have not seen the episodes, but I will watch today's which is about Christians (get ready for fireworks!). We know they are going to focus so much on the hard right winged/neocons and especially Jerry Falwell's comments. Fine, every religion has those kinds of people, however, the minute she starts to put Christian fundamentalists on the same level as Islamic extremeists such as suicide bombers and beheaders will be the day I never watch her again, if CNN, at all.
In defense of Amanpour, if you saw her on Larry King, she did say that Muslims were not doing enough to curtail the violence sprung out in the name of Islam and did have some critical things to say (moreso than the other religions).

Last edited by doss1; 08-23-2007 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,701 times
I think this about sums it up...

UN Partition Plan
Finally, in 1947 the United Nations decided to intervene. However, rather than adhering to the democratic principle espoused decades earlier by Woodrow Wilson of "self-determination of peoples," in which the people themselves create their own state and system of government, the UN chose to revert to the medieval strategy whereby an outside power arbitrarily divides up other people’s land.

Under considerable pressure from high-placed American Zionists, the UN decided to give away 55 percent of Palestine to a Jewish state — despite the fact that this group represented only about 30 percent of the total population, and owned under 7 percent of the land.

So Israel is right... and the palestinians are wrong? Thats a messed up view of history..

Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
I didn't get to watch either. So I can't comment on the show, but I want to throw in a few thoughts.

These people have been fighting over this area of land ever since Esau felt that he had been cheated out of his birthright. It's a part of their heritage to rid the land of the Jews. Those today may not even known their history, but the feelings toward the Jews goes much further back that just the recent wars. It has been passed down, father to son, for many, many generations.

The difference is now, they do more than fight with more that slings and rocks. Spears and arrows have been replace by bullets.

I think that we are naive if we think we can step in and "fix things". This fight goes back 'waaaay too far. They have no problem to going back to the primitive living conditions of their ancestors, if that's what it takes.

We may feel that God wants us to help Israel. They feel that God wants them to destroy Israel.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,718,171 times
Right, but when Israel is at peace, the world is at peace.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,535 times
Please remember that Jews were not a factor in the political administration of the Palestine area from before the Roman occupation until after WW I in the 20th century. The Jews were mostly scattered out of Palestine after 70 A.D. Islam sweeps over the area in 600s A.D. The Dome of the Rock was built in late 600s A.D. The Jews show up again in greater numbers after 1920. The Europeans, including the British, have been pushing the Muslims around in Palestine since then until Israel declared statehood in 1948. Since then they are America's little brother. Why is it again that the Arabs and Muslims are grumbling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality