Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
And the Spanish Inquisition effects you how?
Aside from no one expecting it?

More bad analogies.

Polio doesn't effect me either, I still got my kid vaccinated.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 PM

714 posts, read 814,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
This is a fine example of truly blind faith. To say 99% of Christians in American could care less if I am an atheist is a bold claim that cannot be backed up. The Boy Scouts dont allow atheists, There are seven states that won't allow an atheist to hold office, our own military discriminates against atheists. Many child custody cases have ended in the child being taken away from their kid and part of the evidence was that they were atheists.
Poow widdle atheists. Awwwww. Boohoo.

Why do you care? Why would you want to be amongst the ignorant hordes of believers anyway?

Only a crazy Christian would get worked up about your lack of faith. The rest of us don't give a flying frack, rest assurred.

Last edited by tigers84; 06-30-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
The G-d hypothesis is no more a religion than is our national motto, “In G-d We Trust.” Thomas Jefferson wrote in our Declaration of Independence:
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson? The Declaration of Independence??

"In God We Trust" was made the national motto in....wait for it.....1956

In God we trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And fyi, it DOES NOT APPEAR in the Declaration of Independence. Anywhere.

File:Yale Dunlap Broadside.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-30-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sort of a crap analogy.

Faith is about believing something based on no proof or evidence.

You have x number of years of evidence suggesting you will PROBABLY wake up the next day. At some point you will be wrong. But that doesn't mean it is FAITH based.

Same with driving a car. If it was about faith why would we wear seat belts?

There is very little I do in my daily life that is based on faith. That maybe the fundamental difference between atheists and believers.

So since you do so much based on faith, why do you look before you cross the street?
Until there is absolute, unequivicol proof that life can rise from non-life, that intelligence and consciousness can arise from no intelligence and no consciousness, that the laws of nature and the universe created it/themselves, out of nothing, until then, it is faith in a non-god that makes you an atheist.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Poow widdle atheists. Awwwww. Boohoo.

What do you care? Why would you want to be amongst the ignorant hordes of believers anyway?

Only a crazy Christian would get worked up about your lack of faith. The rest of us don't give a flying frack, rest assurred.
But you do admit you completely made up that percentage. You have no idea what the actual percentage is. For that matter you likely have not even polled the christians of your personal acquanitance so you really shouldn't just make things up. You know, besides your god.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Until there is absolute, unequivicol proof that life can rise from non-life, that intelligence and consciousness can arise from no intelligence and no consciousness, that the laws of nature and the universe created it/themselves, out of nothing, until then, it is faith in a non-god that makes you an atheist.
Because you say so?

That is silly at best, and dishonest at worst. Isn't lying sort of no no?

Anyway, maybe you should look up the definition and etymology of the word atheist. It literally means without belief. You are an atheist. You are without belief in buddha, mohammed, thor, and a variety of other gods. I just don't believe in any. i have never said, and the word atheist need not mean, that I believe there is no god.

Now I am sure that the fine distinction which is the difference between a lack of a positive and proof of a negative is far beyond you, so I will not be surprised when you start TELLING me what you think atheist means. Go nuts.

But none of the above stuff you blathered about has anything to do with lacking a belief in something. I mean all of those things don't make you believe in every possible god does it?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I agree, but, most Christians take the word of the bible in a literal manner. You don't seem to be so inclined but you can't speak for the majority of Christians. Only yourself.
Sorry, I didn't come here to get homework assignments from strangers. Lol

Atheists have no agenda? Then why are you here arguing? Atheists are utterly agenda less? You sure about that? Smirk

Your door gets knocked on a lot by Christians, does it? Bothering you with aggressive proselityzing? Hmmmm. Never, ever happens to me. I get loads more political callers/visitors, magazine sellers and food delivery folk at my door than Christians. You certainly must feel threatened by these nasty god preachers, huh?

In fact, most Christians today do not take the "word" in a literal manner. Checked out a modern, non denominational church lately? Everyone interprets the bible and such for themselves. People have different views. Sure there are hard liners, but every organization has that. And FYI, I haven't seen a christian on a street corner in decades, probably. The most visible way to reach out is probably tv now, and most people have working remotes, so what's the problem? Start an atheist network, make a fortune for yourself

Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Because you say so?

That is silly at best, and dishonest at worst. Isn't lying sort of no no?

Anyway, maybe you should look up the definition and etymology of the word atheist. It literally means without belief. You are an atheist. You are without belief in buddha, mohammed, thor, and a variety of other gods. I just don't believe in any. i have never said, and the word atheist need not mean, that I believe there is no god.

Now I am sure that the fine distinction which is the difference between a lack of a positive and proof of a negative is far beyond you, so I will not be surprised when you start TELLING me what you think atheist means. Go nuts.

But none of the above stuff you blathered about has anything to do with lacking a belief in something. I mean all of those things don't make you believe in every possible god does it?
I think atheists like you seeth with unfocused rage at the world. I have no idea why. Maybe it's all those unanswered prayers....

I really don't care about some official definition. It's like many things - you know it (atheism) when you see it. Besides Nobody believes in everything. So i suppose by your definition we are all atheists. Swell. Lol

I believe in a higher being, and I choose Christianity as my religion. Doesn't mean I walk the line 100%, or pretend to really know and understand the true nature and essence of God. Good gracious, I'm just a dumb human, to believe otherwise would be arrogant as hell.

I didn't ask you to prove a negative, oh smartest of smart ones. I just said show me scientific, observational, peer reviewed, evidence of how those things occur. A simple and straight forward request, surely.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
But you do admit you completely made up that percentage. You have no idea what the actual percentage is. For that matter you likely have not even polled the christians of your personal acquanitance so you really shouldn't just make things up. You know, besides your god.
I did not personally make up my god, FYI. I'm getting up there age wise, but am well under 2000 years old, hahahahAha

Who cares the actual percentage, mr nit picker. The point was, and is, most modern Christians don't care if people choose not to believe. Especially strangers like you. We like our cadre and our clique just fine as is. Others are welcome to join, of course, but those that don't, we'll, we also believe in things like freedom of speech, religion (or non religion), etc.

Do you live out in the boonies somewhere that you are surrounded by nutters and such? Sure sounds like it. I'm sad for you

Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I did not personally make up my god, FYI. I'm getting up there age wise, but am well under 2000 years old, hahahahAha

Who cares the actual percentage, mr nit picker. The point was, and is, most modern Christians don't care if people choose not to believe. Especially strangers like you. We like our cadre and our clique just fine as is. Others are welcome to join, of course, but those that don't, we'll, we also believe in things like freedom of speech, religion (or non religion), etc.

Do you live out in the boonies somewhere that you are surrounded by nutters and such? Sure sounds like it. I'm sad for you
You mean places like Georgia?

Nope, I live in the NE.

But apparently point out facts like that you complete fabricated the 99% number is something you are not happy with. OTOH, sort of goes along with organized religion.

As for personally making up you god I stand corrected, someone else MADE UP your god. Thanks for clearing that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.