Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times

Advertisements

How do you know if you are a Christian, Agnostic, Theist, Spiritual person or just Atheist in disguise?

for instance, in my case, I've always believed there to be a God, but how do I know which one it is?

for sure, the Bible and all the general literature surrounding Christianity makes the most appeal and sense to me, but then do so many other similar things.

for example: Gnostic Christianity, some parts of Hinduism and Buddhism, and general Paganism/spirituality etc..

so how does one separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Just a suggestion that seems to work for me.

Question all things. Never accept the teachings of another human as true unless you yourself have verified them with every source you can find. Never be a blind follower, Majority opinion is not proof. Also be aware that because you like something does not mean it is true nor does your disliking something mean it is false.

Keep in mind we alone are responsible for what we believe as it is up to each of us to verify our beliefs.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times
I would advise you to look for God from within yourself and study those religions that you are attracted to. Look at it this way, if you believe in a God who created you, then you are a part of Him. So, look within and find that part and follow where it leads you.

I tend to stay away from religions that proclaim they are the only way. You might be more comfortable doing this as well, unless you believe there are many gods.

Hinduism, the way many believe today, believes in one God. The multiple 'deities' are all different manifestations of that God.

Some religions don't proselytize, so you will have to make an effort to research their beliefs.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
How do you know if you are a Christian, Agnostic, Theist, Spiritual person or just Atheist in disguise?

for instance, in my case, I've always believed there to be a God, but how do I know which one it is?

for sure, the Bible and all the general literature surrounding Christianity makes the most appeal and sense to me, but then do so many other similar things.

for example: Gnostic Christianity, some parts of Hinduism and Buddhism, and general Paganism/spirituality etc..

What a post! I have seen some Big Fat questions asked, but that is one of the biggest.

I think your second line gives part of the answer. You state what you believe (or think probable) and ask those who are familiar with the various definitions where that puts them.

I should say that you are an agnostic Theist raised in the Western Christian tradition, though you may reasonably think that the Bible looks more factual than other Holy Books as it most resembles history and eyewitness account.

And agnostic theist, because you believe or incline to belief in a god - and that god is an invisible cognizant mind which is is concerned with our doings and that is probably because it created us. But which of the gods is it? Which religion is the right one? The Bible understandably looks factual but Hinduism and Buddhism has appealing ideas, too. Which one to go for?

I look forward to further discussion.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

James, the brother of Christ said belief in God is not enough. You must believe this:

John 3:16

16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son (Jesus Christ), that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

If you truly belive this, you will want to live your life in a Christ-like manner.

Eph. 2:10

We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
James, the brother of Christ said belief in God is not enough. You must believe this:

John 3:16

16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son (Jesus Christ), that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

If you truly belive this, you will want to live your life in a Christ-like manner.

Eph. 2:10

We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Sure, that's what one source says. But there are other sources that make different claims. Why should the OP, or anyone, take this source as valid but ignore others? I believe that is what the OP wants to know.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if one source is more valid than another beyond "gut feeling."

Kenneth, I'd do as others have suggested, and always question, always seek to understand more, and keep an open mind. Because in the end, as evidenced by the fact that there are approximately a billion religions out there, there is no way of knowing what is ultimately true. Best you can do is try.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Sure, that's what one source says. But there are other sources that make different claims. Why should the OP, or anyone, take this source as valid but ignore others? I believe that is what the OP wants to know.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if one source is more valid than another beyond "gut feeling."

Kenneth, I'd do as others have suggested, and always question, always seek to understand more, and keep an open mind. Because in the end, as evidenced by the fact that there are approximately a billion religions out there, there is no way of knowing what is ultimately true. Best you can do is try.
What other sources make different claims about Christianity?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What other sources make different claims about Christianity?
I was referring to other religions making claims to what is true about god/life. You are right that Christians generally agree on what it takes to be a Christian, but the OP is wondering how he can know if Christianity is right in the first place. But not everyone is a Christian, and these other theists have just as much claim to knowing what is really going on with god/gods as you do.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I was referring to other religions making claims to what is true about god/life. You are right that Christians generally agree on what it takes to be a Christian, but the OP is wondering how he can know if Christianity is right in the first place. But not everyone is a Christian, and these other theists have just as much claim to knowing what is really going on with god/gods as you do.
I was answering the original question, "How do you know if you are a Christian?" I'll leave other religions/gods/beliefs to some else.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,864,869 times
You determine what you are by evaluating your beliefs.

Buy you have to actually take stock of them; you have to isolate it, question it, and test whether or not it holds true. And it's something that only you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality