Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:16 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,553,095 times

Advertisements

Sometimes he apparently gives three year old boys and girls cancer only to cure it because he's so loving and caring. This, of course, gives everyone warm fuzzies. Unquote

God does not "give" anyone cancer, or any other afffliction. He frequenly does not interfere with the affliction that someone has, but I cannot answer for God...so I cannot tell why this is so. I do believe that there is a good reason, even though we are not able to understand. I do believe that the time will come when we do understand. I would hate to think that I or any other human has the wisdom of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 05:58 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
My simple opinion is that God does answer the prayers for amputees for the blessing of being able to walk again..His answer is..through science and research..

There have been developed artificial arms and legs that sometimes are even robotic in nature that allow the amputee to walk, run marathons, ski, etc..I truly believe that the creator allows us to use the brains he gave us in answering many prayers..Science is making breakthroughs daily in the development of new drugs and vaccines to eliminate some of the dreaded diseases of this world, even the dreaded aids virus has seen significant advances made in reducing the symptoms of the disease and prolonging the lives..I am one believer who thanks God for our scientists and researchers and for the wisdom he has given them to help answer our prayers..I don't make excuses for God not answering certain prayers,because I think he answers all sincere and humble prayers..no matter who does the praying..
While I can understand that perspective, it still doesn't satisfy me in the fact that throughout all of history, people are just now being able to recover the "use" of limbs through prosthetics. What about the pirates on ships that had to use peg legs???

Old 04-19-2008, 06:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
While I can understand that perspective, it still doesn't satisfy me in the fact that throughout all of history, people are just now being able to recover the "use" of limbs through prosthetics. What about the pirates on ships that had to use peg legs???
Perhaps God was allowing scientific discoveries to "evolve" ..Those pirates with their peg legs were up and walking weren't they They have successfully learned to attach hands and fingers..This would have been a miracle years ago..Now they are using donor organs to give people normal healthy lives..IMO these are all answers to prayers..I think Stem Cells are the currentl answer to prayer, but too many religious people don't pay attention if God speaks through science..

Old 04-19-2008, 06:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Quote:
Perhaps God was allowing scientific discoveries to "evolve" ..Those pirates with their peg legs were up and walking weren't they They have successfully learned to attach hands and fingers..This would have been a miracle years ago..Now they are using donor organs to give people normal healthy lives..IMO these are all answers to prayers..I think Stem Cells are the currentl answer to prayer, but too many religious people don't pay attention if God speaks through science..
So... all throughout history, while people have suffered from the lack of non-prosthetic devices, it was just God allowing the science to evolve?? That makes no logical sense. After all, regardless of how long you believe man has been on Earth, it seems like an awfully long time for A LOT of people to not have limbs and have to deal with things in a much harsher fashion than today's amazing scientific endeavours.

The only logic that I can find in all of this is as such:

If God takes the time out of his busy day to cure cancer patients and those with mysterious ailments, he is not taking the time out to even aid in the regrowth of one limb. Therefore, to me, under these circumstances, the fact is that a limb is too much to ask for, but alleviating ailments caused by cancer is not (some of the time- let's not forget how many people die from cancer each year). So, if cancer is sometimes treated by God, and limbs are not, there must be a dividing line in which God chooses not to help. Somewhere along the way between cancer and limb growth, God has decided he will not help that person in the same capacity.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So... all throughout history, while people have suffered from the lack of non-prosthetic devices, it was just God allowing the science to evolve?? That makes no logical sense. After all, regardless of how long you believe man has been on Earth, it seems like an awfully long time for A LOT of people to not have limbs and have to deal with things in a much harsher fashion than today's amazing scientific endeavours.

The only logic that I can find in all of this is as such:

If God takes the time out of his busy day to cure cancer patients and those with mysterious ailments, he is not taking the time out to even aid in the regrowth of one limb. Therefore, to me, under these circumstances, the fact is that a limb is too much to ask for, but alleviating ailments caused by cancer is not (some of the time- let's not forget how many people die from cancer each year). So, if cancer is sometimes treated by God, and limbs are not, there must be a dividing line in which God chooses not to help. Somewhere along the way between cancer and limb growth, God has decided he will not help that person in the same capacity.
I understand exactly what you are thinking Troop..That if God "cures" cancer, he should have no difficulty giving someone a new leg..To be honest, I have never seen or known any one who claimed to have been healed instantly by a miracle of God..IMO he doesn't do that..He gives us the ability to do these things through our wisdom and compassion of helping the sick and maimed..Until and IF the world is ever perfect we will continue to get ill, disabled and die..IMO, God will not interfere with the harm we bring on to ourselves and others..I truly believe that we believers and non believers should quit blaming God, for our own bad choices,and accept responsibility for our own evilness..I really believe that one day Jesus will return and will destroy the evil in this world, but we have to understand in the meantime that He does answer prayer ..I don't know why he won't heal my paralyzed grandsons broken spine..I never asked God in my prayers to make him walk..I did ask, beg and plead to make him breath again without the ventilator... I cannot explain the thoughts or ways of God because His thoughts are far above ours..

Old 04-19-2008, 08:20 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,677,609 times
Quote:
I understand exactly what you are thinking Troop..That if God "cures" cancer, he should have no difficulty giving someone a new leg..To be honest, I have never seen or known any one who claimed to have been healed instantly by a miracle of God..IMO he doesn't do that..He gives us the ability to do these things through our wisdom and compassion of helping the sick and maimed..Until and IF the world is ever perfect we will continue to get ill, disabled and die..IMO, God will not interfere with the harm we bring on to ourselves and others..I truly believe that we believers and non believers should quit blaming God, for our own bad choices,and accept responsibility for our own evilness..I really believe that one day Jesus will return and will destroy the evil in this world, but we have to understand in the meantime that He does answer prayer ..I don't know why he won't heal my paralyzed grandsons broken spine..I never asked God in my prayers to make him walk..I did ask, beg and plead to make him breath again without the ventilator... I cannot explain the thoughts or ways of God because His thoughts are far above ours..
blue, God is still in the miracle business. I have a hand that was in an LP explosion. Dr treated it for 2nd & 3rd degree burns. That was on a Saturday. He set me up with an appointment for Monday to talk about skin grafs. My then 10 yr old asked God to "heal my daddy's hand". I went back on Mon and did not even have a blister. My Dr said, "that's not the same hand that was here Sat."

Having said that I will now tell you this. My wife of 38yrs has an illness that is debilitating and will shorten her life. We have asked God to heal her. She has been a faithful servant her whole life but has had to stop teaching Sunday School because of her health. We wonder why God has not healed her yet. Emphasis on the word yet. Than we read John 16:33 "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." We are not made for this world and because of that we will continue to have trouble. Some day we will be promoted to the world we were made for where there will be no pain or sorrow. Sometimes God heals in this life. Sometimes He heals after death. It's not my job to know or question why. I am to become more like Him each day. Look what they did to Him.

Last edited by studedude; 04-19-2008 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: clicked wrong button

Old 04-19-2008, 08:28 PM

Great testimomy Stude and I am so glad your hand was healed, and I pray that your wife will get better

Old 04-19-2008, 08:31 PM

951 posts, read 1,656,489 times
Having read as much as I could, forgive me if this is a repeat: God instilled one thing in man-free will. We decide what wars to wage, we decide what chemicals to add to our environment, we decide to play with our genetic make-up, we decide if we should believe in Him or not.

Christ made the ultimate sacrifice for us. We repay him by following his teachings. Prayer does work! But we are not the ones to decide; He does it all for His reasons, not ours. The OP comes out of Human rhetoric, not Divine.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,677,609 times
Quote:
Great testimomy Stude and I am so glad your hand was healed, and I pray that your wife will get better
She will in His time

Old 04-19-2008, 08:48 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,579,709 times
When I get up every morning and put my prosthetic above the knee leg on and I can walk, I conssider that a miracle. I can say for sure though what God gives us for limbs and what advancements man has made in prosthetic limbs is secondary nothing comes close to what God can give us.

Last edited by noland123; 04-19-2008 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality