Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 07:03 PM

87 posts, read 77,620 times

Advertisements

As atheists, they would not have to worry much. They can do what they please. Wouldn't that mean, they are less stressed than christians? Christians are worried about doing what's right and maintaining a good lifestyle, it can be stressful (emotionally).
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Read A Book! But then... Think a Bit!

There it is again; that we atheists can do as we please, as if being under the thumb of a religious belief ensures that you don't misbehave. Or, put another way, that you guys need your religion to keep you from running amok in society.

High moral code standards preceded Christianity, just soz yah know. As a result of all those ancient standards, laws were written, some of a criminal control nature, so you would know what to expect if you were stupid enough to flagrantly break those laws.

The Greeks, the Romans, the Chinese and Japanese, even the Aboriginals in Australia and even primate troops of apes all knew that if you misbehaved socially, others wouldn't respect you and would "misbehave" back on your hide, just to spite you and get their revenge!

As well, it's not outside of normal human consciousness to understand that it's "nice to be nice". It's pleasant, within a society, to be kind to others, and thus to not purposefully go out of your way to wreck havoc on them. And so, cultural morés developed long before Christianity, and even before any pagan godz. And certainly before all of it was written down as some sort of mandatory guidebook for behavior and beliefs (as in: the Bible, the Qu'Ran, the Tanakh or even an L. Ron Hubbard best-seller!).

If atheism leads inexorably to social collapse, why then do we have so many fully functioning and pleasant atheistic societies and groups? Why don't scientists run around chain-sawing up people? Or alternately, why did Christians wreck so much physical and emotional havoc on the Muslims during those bloody Crusades?

I'd suggest, alternately, that only those of intellectual laziness, those who don't want to bother thinking through the basics and rationales of their personal social behavior standards and spiritual beliefs, are completely satisfied to just go with the codified writings of others (again, all those books I noted above do this for you..).

Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
I'm kind of disappointed in myself. Here I could be doing whatever the hell I want like drunken sex orgies, public weenie-wagging, being mean to puppies, turning crosses upside down and eating pork products in the Middle East, all without consequence or stress.

I guess I need to work a little harder at this whole atheist thing... I didn't know I wasn't supposed to have morals, respect laws or cultures anymore.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I think generally atheists are just as likely to have stress and some studies indicate they're more likely to have anxiety issues.

Many, plausibly most, issues that cause stress or anxiety aren't necessarily related to religion/irreligion matters. Like one's job, financial situation, traffic, neighbors, the expectations of others, one's own expectations, family tensions, romantic entanglements, and the like. No reason atheists couldn't have those the same as anyone else. I'm sure there are plenty of atheists who work for a boss they can't stand, but feel trapped in the job due to the national employment situation. Or have credit card debt and a parent who constantly criticizes them.

There might be some differences. Considering studies atheists tend to have less children and children can be a source of stress. However they tend to worry more about environmental issues and their comparatively higher levels of education might mean more of them worry about paying off student loans. (Hindus, Jews, and Eastern Orthodox Christians are roughly as educated though.) And atheism itself doesn't really contain relaxation techniques the way mantras or "Serenity prayers" or the like can be. Although there are a fair amount of secular relaxation techniques these days so that might not be too much of a problem.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 PM

307 posts, read 269,429 times
I've been an atheist and am now a Christian, and can definitely say I was more stressed as an atheist. It could well have been because of factors unrelated to my beliefs, just things that were going on in my life one time but not the other, but I do feel that stress is largely a matter of one's attitude towards events rather than the events themselves. And my attitude towards life's difficulties has definitely changed.

I've always been aware of the fact that the things of this world are all temporary, and will have an end. Now I believe that there is one thing (God) that isn't temporary and doesn't have an end, and it's more important than all of the things of this world combined, and I am now a part of it. Life's difficulties seem pretty minor in comparison. They're "temporary-ness" now seems to make them unimportant, not worth worrying too much about. I view these obstacles as easily conquerable, just a little bump on the road of life.

And as for having to worry "about doing what's right and maintaining a good lifestyle", doing so actually makes your life less stressful than doing what's wrong and maintaining a bad lifestyle. All of our wrongs have repurcussions on ourselves and those around us, and they can be tough to deal with. We usually don't see them at first, but getting caught up in a sinful lifestyle creates problems and difficulties that we could have avoided in the first place. Avoiding such problems and difficulties definitely makes your life less stressful and more enjoyable.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:19 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,396 times
If there is one thing I have learned in this life it is that stress doesn't pick favorites. It could care less what your religion is, gender, age, job, etc. Stress is unbiased.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:47 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahhen1 View Post
As atheists, they would not have to worry much. They can do what they please. Wouldn't that mean, they are less stressed than christians? Christians are worried about doing what's right and maintaining a good lifestyle, it can be stressful (emotionally).
Different people stress about different things. Atheists have a lot of the same worries as Christians, ie. work, family, health.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:31 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,637 times
no

Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
We all have the stresses of living, bills, employment, the economy, saving for retirement, etc., etc.

Why would one add the additional and unnecessary burden of worrying about some imaginary yet very unpleasant, spiteful, vengeful, egomaniac sky deity?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:18 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahhen1 View Post
It may not be the belief or lack of... but less need to stress.
Generally...There are no atheists in foxholes.
"Perhaps atheism is a luxury of the well-to-do."
When The Going Gets Tough, The Atheists Go Praying | Psychology Today

There's a study about how people define religious doctrine can either help or harm their health.
So, stress management (esp. thinking patterns) is more significant than one's belief or lack of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality