Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:14 PM

311 posts, read 1,377,147 times

Advertisements

Recently I heard the following thought provoking statement:

It's not what you believe that's important, but what's true.

I can believe all I want that my beloved Dolphins are going to win the next Super Bowl, but if the truth is that they will not win, there is not much I can do about it. My sincerity will not change the fact that they will not win.

This also makes sense in spiritual matters. There are an endless number of beliefs when it comes to religion and everyone is convinced they are right (which is why they hold to that belief in the first place). Because these beliefs are often contradictory, logically they can't all be true. We can devise strong arguments to support our positions and debate them for hours, but if that particular belief is not actually true, it won't really matter.

Take the afterlife for example. Some people believe there is none. We die and that's it. (If this is true, they will never know it; noone will be there holding a sign saying "ha, I was right"). Some people believe in reincarnation. Still others believe in heaven or other type of existence depending on which religion you adhere to. They each have their beliefs on how to get there.

One thing is certain: everyone is going to die someday. I think it would be wise to think about what is going to happen at that point. The last thing you would want to happen is to die, only to find out your belief was wrong. I acknowledge your right to your beliefs, but this is a very serious issue. Eternity is a long time.

I believe that Christianity is the truth. In fact, I am so convicted it is the truth that I am staking my eternal destiny on the claims of Christ and His way of salvation as found in John 3:16, Eph 2:8-9 etc. You may or may not share that same belief. If not I hope you will consider it, but that is really your decision. Just don't go into eternity without a clue as to what might happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
I would suggest you reread your OP and reformulate the conclusion. (Sounds like a blatant contradiction, sprinkled with a bit of Pascal's Wager.)

Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post

I believe that Christianity is the truth. In fact, I am so convicted it is the truth that I am staking my eternal destiny on the claims of Christ and His way of salvation as found in John 3:16, Eph 2:8-9 etc. You may or may not share that same belief. If not I hope you will consider it, but that is really your decision. Just don't go into eternity without a clue as to what might happen.
Do you really think anyone here has not pondered these things?
I can't believe that you do.
Well, you've done your dutiful witnessing - so you're covered.
That's what you're after, right?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,097 times
Oh for crying out loud, here we go.....

A bit of advice, Dolfan: Unless you want your words shredded apart by some people, you might want to restrict your posts to the Christianity sub-forum. Perish the thought that a Christian would express a belief in here.

Last edited by Pathwalker; 10-05-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 02:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Oh for crying out loud, here we go.....

A bit of advice, Dolfan: Unless you want your words shredded apart by the atheists, you might want to restrict your posts to the Christianity sub-forum.
More eyerolling, eh?
Believe it or not, I'm not just trying to be a pain in the *** and I'm not trying to shred anything.
I'm trying to point out that I believe that the OP has his own interests at heart, not mine.
And my question is honest - does the OP really think that he is bringing up a new, useful point?
Or is he just witnessing because it's his duty per his religion?

Note: if this is the case, that's fine with me - I understand that some Christian denominations require steady witnessing. It just seems ironic to do so in a forum like this where everybody has thought about or is thinking about religion ALREADY.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
There is a saying, "if something has no value to you, it doesn't matter if it true of not."

Our problem is that even if it has NO value to us in today's world, we seem to feel compelled to prove it's true, even to the extent of insisting that others believe as we do.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 PM

679 posts, read 1,440,013 times
Quote:
Unless you want your words shredded apart by some people, you might want to restrict your posts to the Christianity sub-forum. Perish the thought that a Christian would express a belief in here.
Outside of protected little bubbles where everyone thinks and acts the same and no one is permitted to raise a contrary voice there are people of different views who make different assertions and people who disagree with them or find fault with those assertions or views point them out and things get discussed. There's give and take and views are shared. Maybe someone changes their mind, maybe not, but in the end there's an important thing gained from openly sharing opinions.

I have to say Dolfan, I'm confused as to what exactly your OP is, but I do know there's no hope in hell the fins are winning the SB this year. Go Chiefs!
(not much hope for the Chiefs either this year, btw)

Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
More eyerolling, eh?
Believe it or not, I'm not just trying to be a pain in the *** and I'm not trying to shred anything.
I'm trying to point out that I believe that the OP has his own interests at heart, not mine.
And my question is honest - does the OP really think that he is bringing up a new, useful point?
Or is he just witnessing because it's his duty per his religion?

Note: if this is the case, that's fine with me - I understand that some Christian denominations require steady witnessing. It just seems ironic to do so in a forum like this where everybody has thought about or is thinking about religion ALREADY.
What DIFFERENCE does it make if he's bringing up a "new, useful point"? Is he not allowed to simply post a topic simply because he wants to? Perhaps HE thought there was a useful point in his words. And not only that, there ARE people who read these boards that don't necessarily post responses, and they HAVE been known to be affected by what people say. So your point about it being "ironic to do so in a forum like this" is unjustified.

And for the record, I wasn't referring to you. You simply happened to post YOUR response while I was typing MINE.

And yes, more eyerolling. Deal with it. We have smilies available to us for a reason.

One more thing.....lest I get accused of having a bad attitude.....

And too.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
What DIFFERENCE does it make if he's bringing up a "new, useful point"? Is he not allowed to simply post a topic simply because he wants to? Perhaps HE thought there was a useful point in his words. And not only that, there ARE people who read these boards that don't necessarily post responses, and they HAVE been known to be affected by what people say. So your point about it being "ironic to do so in a forum like this" is unjustified.

And for the record, I wasn't referring to you. You simply happened to post YOUR response while I was typing MINE.

And yes, more eyerolling. Deal with it. We have smilies available to us for a reason.
But WCRob.. it is a message board.. I mean don't people have a right to respond in a manner they seem fit as long as its with in the TOS?

Old 10-05-2007, 03:00 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Do you really think anyone here has not pondered these things?
I can't believe that you do.
Well, you've done your dutiful witnessing - so you're covered.
That's what you're after, right?
I understand that it may appear that way b. frank, but can I just ask you to switch shoes with a Christian believer for a second.

Let's say you really believe what we believe.

That you have an earnest concern for the eternal well-being of others and you are burdened for them SINCERELY.

Then don't comments like this seem almost inevitable?

I mean, if you love kids, see some kids on a rail road track and see that a train is coming, do you say "Kids get off the track!" or do you say "Hey, they can play wherever they want to play."

Maybe, just maybe, some of us are motivated by sincere concern and brotherly love rather than some of the other things you may have encountered.

Just a thought....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality